Code
Social Security	$929,444,000,000
Medicare (Net)	$595,317,000,000
Medicaid	$577,171,700,000
Vendor Payments (Welfare)	$577,171,700,000
Other Welfare	$480,221,500,000
Total	$3,159,325,900,000

http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/year_spending_2016USbn_17bc6n_2030#usgs302

Did making marijuana illegal stop people from smoking it?

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 08/23/16.

BarryC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yes. Not all, but certainly some.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by BarryC
Yes. Not all, but certainly some.

Then why not make alcohol illegal too?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Being a loser has very little to do with the method of intoxication.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by joken2
Curious if anyone personally knows or knows of someone who was legally allowed to use marijuana for medical reasons, but their health condition improved enough that they no longer truly needed it, voluntarily quit completely and surrendered their permit or whatever is required that allows them to legally purchase, possess, ingest?

Yeah.

My ex has Multiple Sclerosis, and is in Assisted Living. We were able to keep her at home for about 10 years longer than we could have/needed to, in part because she was using marijuana daily for muscle spasm/pain control. She no longer uses it, I'm told. (She and I are no longer in close comms.)

This was illegal use, btw. A friend of a friend would make pot butter and then bake cookies for her. She ate 3-4 cookies a day. And they were STRONG. I ate about 1/4 of one once and I had both eyes in one socket for about 6 hours and I ate the entire kitchen.

She no longer uses it, but she uses a lot more Rx pain meds now. Soooo... which is better for her, pot or opiates? I can't say for sure, but I think she was more active when she used marijuana. But the MS has progressed, so who knows for sure.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I had both eyes in one socket for about 6 hours and I ate the entire kitchen.

grin grin grin

Yup, those munchies, in and of themselves constitute a serious impact to one's budget.

Oh,...the horror.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
im all for legal weed, I don't personally partake, but my hope is, the folks thats a chronic alcoholics will just become pot heads, As an electrician, i can say, unequivocally that I would rather have a pot head with a screw driver in a hot piece of gear, than a drunk that has the shakes. Weed only hurts people, who are stupid (gonna find another way to hurt themselves) or by making it profitable as an illegal business.

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Alamosa
Some people realize it is preposterous to 'blame the gun' for the actions of the user, but ironically, will be quick to 'blame the weed' for the actions of the user.

Yep. It's pretty simple, really. Alcohol users and their intoxicant of choice is OK...but marijuana users and their intoxicant of choice is not OK. Hypocritical to the Nth degree.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
BarryC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I actually support drug legalization - but only as long as evidence of drug dealing by the victim is an affirmative defense in cases of murder and assault. I.e., if you have proof that someone is a dealer and you kill them, you cannot be convicted of murder.

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by antlers
Some people realize it is preposterous to 'blame the gun' for the actions of the user, but ironically, will be quick to 'blame the weed' for the actions of the user.

Yep. It's pretty simple, really. Alcohol users and their intoxicant of choice is OK...but marijuana users and their intoxicant of choice is not OK. Hypocritical to the Nth degree.

The exact percentage (proof) of alcohol in the various kinds of legal commercially brewed/distilled/fermented beverages is a knowable, consistent, and reliable figure. A person can know how much alcohol they are consuming which allows them the option to control the amount they ingest over a given period of time.

I don't know how factual it is but from what I've read, heard and been told by some users, the amount of intoxicant in marijuana can vary considerably, therefore no way to know before consuming how much could be too much.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Madmooner, not in my experience. I know a bunch of people just like that. I kinda AM one, though I don't "smoke the hell out of it".

Folks....... put down the schoolmarm cane for just a moment... it's a PEOPLE issue, not a weed issue. Some people are just losers.

Why doesn't this surprise me...

That's the exact same thought that went through my mind when I read that

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

The exact percentage (proof) of alcohol in the various kinds of legal commercially brewed/distilled/fermented beverages is a knowable, consistent, and reliable figure. A person can know how much alcohol they are consuming which allows them the option to control the amount they ingest over a given period of time.

I don't know how factual it is but from what I've read, heard and been told by some users, the amount of intoxicant in marijuana can vary considerably, therefore no way to know before consuming how much could be too much.

I don't know anyone who's died from smoking too much high end pot, lots of people die for drinking to much alcohol

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

So, getting intoxicated is OK, but 'only' as long as you know the exact percentage of the chemical intoxicant that you are ingesting...?

BarryC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
You smoke a joint, you are stoned. You drink one serving of alcohol and you are unaffected.
That's as far as I'm going in rehashing the subject for the Nth time.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by acooper1983

I don't know anyone who's died from smoking too much high end pot, lots of people die for drinking to much alcohol

"Marijuana-related deaths, suspensions & problems spike in Colorado – report

Published time: 22 Sep, 2015 04:11"

A new study of marijuana drug use in Colorado found increases in marijuana-related traffic deaths, hospital visits, school suspensions, lab explosions, and pet poisonings. The study was conducted by a federal government program.

The 166-page report released this month analyzed the effects of legalizing marijuana for medical and recreational use in Colorado spanning the time period from 2006 to the present. Along with the state of Washington, Colorado is considered as something of laboratory in which the effects of legalizing marijuana use can be studied.

The study showed that the number of drivers testing positive for marijuana increased 100 percent from 2007 to 2012, with marijuana-related fatalities doubling from 37 to 78. Traffic fatalities total around 500 a year in the state.

One of the reports key findings was that the number of children aged zero to five exposed to marijuana increased 268 percent when comparing the period from 2006 to 2009 to the period from 2010 to 2013: triple the national average.

The report showed that more young people aged 12 to 17 were using marijuana as well. When asked during a national survey in 2012 whether they had used marijuana in the past month, 10.47 percent of Colorado’s youth said they had, which was 39 percent higher than the national average.

“I never dreamed in a million years that this would happen to my son,” Kendal, a parent who didn’t want to use his last name, told CBS, referring to a time when he came home to find his 13-year-old son unconscious from what he says was a marijuana overdose.

“He was gray. His heart wasn’t beating and he wasn’t breathing,” Kendal said.

Kendal used CPR to resuscitate him, and later talked to his son’s high school peer and supplier.

q

@Drudge_Report_ Well, shoot... where'd I put my "shocked" face?
— Weird Ralph (@weirdralph) September 21, 2015Q
Marijuana-related emergency room visits grew 57 percent in two years, from 8,198 in 2011 to 12,888 in 2013, the study found, with a 29 percent increase in emergency room visits for teens.

The report also found that drug-related suspensions and expulsions increased 32 percent between the 2008-2009 and 2012-2013 school years. The majority of expulsions were for marijuana violations.

From 2006 to 2008, there were 1,000 to 4,800 medical marijuana cardholders and no known dispensaries in Colorado. As of the end of 2012, there were 108,000 cardholders and 532 licensed dispensaries.

In November 2012, voters passed an amendment allowing anyone over the age of 21 to use marijuana recreationally.
Other findings included data showing that seizures of Colorado pot being shipped out of state soared in 2014. Pot seizures increased 397 percent between 2008 and 2013. The average number of pounds seized increased 35.5 percent from 2005 to 2008 when compared to the time period from 2009 to 2013. US Mail parcels were intercepted being shipped to 33 states, representing an increase of 1,280 percent.

Increased distribution of and access to marijuana has also led to increases in crime, lab explosions, and poisonings, according to the study. The number of pets poisoned from ingesting marijuana increased fourfold in six years, with a total of 153 cases reported from 2006 -2012.

The report also found that the estimated annual revenue from the sale of recreational marijuana varies from $65 million to $118 million. Interestingly, the majority of counties and cities in Colorado have banned recreational marijuana businesses despite the drug being legal.

The report was carried out by the federal government’s Rocky Mountain High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area, a program that assists federal, state and local and tribal law enforcement in critical drug-trafficking regions.

https://www.rt.com/usa/316148-marijuana-related-deaths-injuries-study/

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

So, getting intoxicated is OK, but 'only' as long as you know the exact percentage of the chemical intoxicant that you are ingesting...?

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by BarryC
You smoke a joint, you are stoned. You drink one serving of alcohol and you are unaffected.
That's as far as I'm going in rehashing the subject for the Nth time.

Baloney! If you have one serving of alcohol you want another serving. Alcohol is VERY addictive just like nicotine (pot is not). Pot might be considered a gateway drug but only because you have to get it from a drug dealer who has other drugs to offer. If a person smokes a pack of cigarettes a day that works out to about one every 45 minutes while they're awake. My Mother used to smoke around the clock and died at an early age from throat cancer. I used to work with a bunch of smokers and everything came to halt about every 30 minutes while they got their nicotine fix. The alcoholics among them were worthless most of the morning until they recovered from their hangovers. All that said you should be able to use ANY drugs while at work or driving.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
From the article...

"The study was conducted by a *federal government* program."

lol

Do you wanna compare marijuana-related traffic deaths to alcohol-related traffic deaths...?

Do you wanna compare marijuana-related hospital visits to alcohol-related hospital visits...?

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Here, THC content is measured and labeled. You know exactly what you are getting. How you ingest it is a big variable.

Like alcohol, weed will affect folk differently. Some people do very well, others turn into a puddle.

While alcohol is far, FAR, more toxic than weed, weed is a more psycho active substance.

Drink a beer, smoke a J, whatever. Just be responsible. How is that so fuggin' hard? If you need either to get through life, you're doing it wrong.

If you feel the need to tell people what they can and can not ingest, you're a fugg 'tard.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1_deuce, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 55 invisible), 2,508 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,187
Posts18,484,861
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.