Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
This round seems to have very high remarks for SD use in 9x19.

I know they make standard and +P for each, I have seen results in tests showing larger expansion for the slower heavier 147. Also it shoots only about 50 fps different in two loadings, perhaps in a shorter barrel. I hear it jumps less and recoils less than the faster 124 loadings.

1) Do many of you 9 fans load up with 147's for SD?

2) Would barrel length affect which load you use?

GB1

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've got several 9mms that I only occasionally carry but when I do I prefer the 115s run as fast as possible...1300+...CorBon +P or the Federal LE +P+.

To me no matter what bullet you stick in a 147 9mm all you have at 950+- fps is a 15 shot .38 Special +P...

Like the dopers say..speed kills.

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have shot the 147s, 124s, and 124+p.
I like the 124s. I prefer them in Glock 26,19, and 17.
Federal did their research. They shoot well in every 9mm I own.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I compromised and settled on the 124 gr. everything whether it's FMJ plinking ammo or in hollow point form for my carry ammo. I too like the HST's.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I run the 147 gr. +P in my 5" M&P and the 124 gr. +P in my Compact and Shield. Both are Federal HST.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B2

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by RJM
I've got several 9mms that I only occasionally carry but when I do I prefer the 115s run as fast as possible...1300+...CorBon +P or the Federal LE +P+.

To me no matter what bullet you stick in a 147 9mm all you have at 950+- fps is a 15 shot .38 Special +P...

Like the dopers say..speed kills.

Bob

Same for me; I don't have any love for the 147gr stuff, unless it's suppressed.

Also, if they are loaded to the same power levels, 147gr loads do not recoil less, they recoil more. Some people may perceive the slower heavier recoil differently, and think it's less, but that's subjective. The gun gamers claim 147's recoil less, but they're loading to a power factor formula, which is a little different.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Not HST's but I have carried and shot 124+p Speer gold dots for a few years. I am now taking a look at winchesters 147 bonded ranger. After attending ballistic workshops from both manufacturers, my opinion was that the expansion and penetration were close enough that it didn't matter. If anything, we saw a little more penetration from the 147. Remember, with hollow point pistol rounds, if you push them fast, they often open and start to slam on the brakes fast causing less penetration.
The 147's also feel like the shoot softer to me.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
i use 147's in my G43 and G19. Guess I should worry about it.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Was watching some "ballistic test" videos on YouTube the other day and came across one done a little differently. It was one for the 115 grain CorBon +P that was clocking right around 1300 fps. In Jello the bullet always comes apart, like in multiple pieces.

In this test the tester shot first into some cloth and then an expired chicken...with water jugs as backup...and it blew a nice hole in the chicken and stopped in one of the jugs...perfectly mushroomed and weighing 114 grains I think...

My belief is that ballistic gelatin being homogeneous is not giving the same results as shooting into a human body. The chest covering over the average human is only a couple inches of fat/muscle and then a very porous organ...

Only time will tell if the "new" 147s will work...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have 124+p and 147

I have shot both into gallon milk jugs filled with water out of a 4" barrel.
Both went through 2 jugs and stopped in the 3rd. Both made the 1st jug spilt in half. I'm not sure which is better...I figure on bone the higher weight might help more

Here are some pics of them

147 on left. 124 on right

You can see how much difference 23 grains makes on size...gold dots perform similarly but since they're bonded, they lack the jagged petals/talons the HST'S have...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
here is a link to Federals testing and pictures

http://www.le.vistaoutdoor.com/downloads/catalogs/HSTInsertPoster.pdf

Last edited by SAKO75; 09/03/16.

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RJM
Was watching some "ballistic test" videos on YouTube the other day and came across one done a little differently. It was one for the 115 grain CorBon +P that was clocking right around 1300 fps. In Jello the bullet always comes apart, like in multiple pieces.

In this test the tester shot first into some cloth and then an expired chicken...with water jugs as backup...and it blew a nice hole in the chicken and stopped in one of the jugs...perfectly mushroomed and weighing 114 grains I think...

My belief is that ballistic gelatin being homogeneous is not giving the same results as shooting into a human body. The chest covering over the average human is only a couple inches of fat/muscle and then a very porous organ...

Only time will tell if the "new" 147s will work...

Bob
ballistic gel is a just a consistent medium to test bullet performance, it is not a replacement for human tussue

― George Orwell, 1984
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sako75,

Were it me, I'd go big as in 147 grain.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sako75,

Great link. I like the .40 S&W & .45 Auto HST's.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
thats what the 147 HST does, it expands reliably at the lower speeds
but still penetrates...

i also think it has slightly less "Snap" compared to the 124+P

[Linked Image]

Last edited by SAKO75; 09/03/16.

― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The "new" 147's have been performing really well in law enforcement shootings. The 124 gr. +P is very good for the 9mm but the 147 gr. seems to be even better.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Hmmmm, to JimmyP comment, I would not want to get hit by ANY of these wink Lol.

I guess the debate will continue. Likely a slight change in shot placement will have more impact on Stats. I don't know.

I would say if you have a lighter ie 124 at higher speeds, though smaller frontal area, the extra speed might enhance a wound cavity.

Yes to the comments above that "Gel" tests are one thing, but not necessarily how they will work in a live target, for lack of better words. I would think those 115 +P+, 124 +P, and some of the best 147s are all quite effective and likely more similar than different in outcomes...as is the 127 Ranger.

Those Gold Dots come up often, no doubt the 124 has a great reputation. The HST seems to slighter better it in some test, how that translates to future Outcomes stats will be interesting. Perhaps the improvement if there is minimal to marginal.

It seems the 9 has come a long way over time with bullet technology, and that is a great thing.

I do like the idea of sticking with one weight ie. 124 fmj for range work and a quality SD load in same weight for carry. Test would have to be done to see if the POI is similar in said given two loads.

Odds are most actual situations would be very close up and personal and POI shift may not be relevant.

Let's say one had to stretch a shot to 50-100 yds, would that sway your choices? I know heavies carry energy better, though their often is a "sweet spot" in a given round, as too heavy can have a loopy trajectory and also fail to expand as well.

I am wondering if say out of a 3.5 or so compact gun, if the 124 +P might offer the best balance of short and long range (say 100 yds max) effectiveness, as well as trajectory.

One can study paper ballistics, but we know that is just that...good info to ponder from all. Appreciate any and all comments. Surely this debate has been going on for many years and will continue.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
147 left. 124 right

Much longer skiVing on 147

[Linked Image]

― George Orwell, 1984
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I'm in the 124 grain +P or +P+ camp, the extra speed in a smallish caliber is worth having. I'm not a 115 grain fan, can't give up penetration

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
There is lot to lot variation on skiving depth of HSTs as the tools wear. And tweaks to the design over time.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 1Longbow, 204guy, 257Bob, 25classic, 59 invisible), 2,684 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,296
Posts18,487,032
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.