Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've got a .375, but am looking to have a new one built on a model 70 action and an echols stock.

My question is around accuracy - many of the high end hunting smiths will guarantee 1" with a custom load, while many of the "precision rifle" smiths will often commit to .75" with factory, some will go to .5".

I realize the "precision rifle" smiths are generally doing this with .308, .260, 300WM, etc. But I've been wondering if any of you know someone who could build an absolute tack driver .375 H&H?

Don't want a very heavy one, built to carry and hunt, all purpose Africa rifle - buffalo in close, or gemsbok at 300 yds - and yes I know 1" is fine for both animals, but like the rest of you I'm a gun nut and am looking to see if a tackdriver can be built in .375.

Appreciate any ideas, suggestions.

Thanks

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ive had 375's that would stack 3-4 shots in a ragged hole at 100 yards;and hold sub MOA to 400.

That good enough?

The rifles were all pre 64 M70's in 375 H&H. One had a light contour Krieger barrel.

But with a Krieger or Bartlein tube what you want is not hard.

I pay no attention to accuracy "guarantees". Many times accuracy guarantees that don't materialize are the shooters fault anyway.

There are smiths who can build what you want.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I believe jorgeI has a 375 that's been known to cut a single ragged hole. May be mis-remembering that tho.

I'd think that if you chose a good smith, regardless of cartridge - the rifle should be put together well.

Most of it ends up being the nut behind the trigger anyway.

Me

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by teal
I believe jorgeI has a 375 that's been known to cut a single ragged hole. May be mis-remembering that tho.

I'd think that if you chose a good smith, regardless of cartridge - the rifle should be put together well.

Had one that CAS cobbled together years ago. Sold it here, regret it.

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As to accurate smiths - for some reason I always remember Mark Pendrod's name coming up when people talked the larger cartridges and tuning a CRF to run them for critters that bite back.

I think I'd start there.

Me

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have never owned a .375 that wouldn't shoot an inch or better. In fact, I think all of mine have been 3/4" or better with most loads.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
I have never owned a .375 that wouldn't shoot an inch or better. In fact, I think all of mine have been 3/4" or better with most loads.

I agree. The 3/8" bore is easy to get to shoot well. Kind of like the 9.3x62mm...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by teal

I think Jorge is a damn good shot too, from what I've seen from the targets he's posted.... It's not just his 375 that shoots well..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 10generation
I've got a .375, but am looking to have a new one built on a model 70 action and an echols stock.

My question is around accuracy - many of the high end hunting smiths will guarantee 1" with a custom load, while many of the "precision rifle" smiths will often commit to .75" with factory, some will go to .5".

I realize the "precision rifle" smiths are generally doing this with .308, .260, 300WM, etc. But I've been wondering if any of you know someone who could build an absolute tack driver .375 H&H?

Don't want a very heavy one, built to carry and hunt, all purpose Africa rifle - buffalo in close, or gemsbok at 300 yds - and yes I know 1" is fine for both animals, but like the rest of you I'm a gun nut and am looking to see if a tackdriver can be built in .375.

Appreciate any ideas, suggestions.

Thanks

I'd be more worried about where that 1st. shot is going to go. My 375H&H is very predictable in that respect. You could check with Gene Simillion. Seeing how you want it to go into an echols stock, he's the guy I'd be calling..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Ive had 375's that would stack 3-4 shots in a ragged hole at 100 yards;and hold sub MOA to 400.

That good enough?

The rifles were all pre 64 M70's in 375 H&H. One had a light contour Krieger barrel.

But with a Krieger or Bartlein tube what you want is not hard.

I pay no attention to accuracy "guarantees". Many times accuracy guarantees that don't materialize are the shooters fault anyway.

There are smiths who can build what you want.

I agree with Bob. Seen it many times..

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks guys. Gene just built me a matched left and right hand pair of 30-06's. Big fan of his work.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks guys. Gene just built me a matched left and right hand pair of 30-06's. Big fan of his work.

Then why you looking anywhere else? grin

Gene will be getting this from me shortly......when I get off my arse to box it up. blush

[Linked Image]

Last edited by BobinNH; 09/11/16.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Then why you looking anywhere else? grin

Gene will be getting this from me shortly......when I get off my arse to box it up. blush

[Linked Image]

That's going to be bad azzed in an echols legend Bob... No other refinements either. Just glass bed a damn good rifle in a damn good stock and you have a winning combination. Hey, gunner might be looking for a wood stock, so don't throw that one away... laugh

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I already spoke with Gunner.

The stock is spoken for. wink

I think he knows it is not original.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Those would be cool to see.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I already spoke with Gunner.

The stock is spoken for. wink

I think he knows it is not original.

Sorry Bob, I didn't know it wasn't original. Looks like it's original to the rifle, but the whole rifle is not pictured. Nice looking rifle nonetheless.. Should be mucho better all the way around with a good Mcmillan on it, regardless.. I'm still very leery about using a factory wood stocked pre 64 375H&H. I've seen a few of them split behind the tang.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Whoever did the stock opened up a standard stock to the 375 barrel contour. Perfectly functional and I suspect the guy wanted a lower comb for a receiver sight use.

I knew this when I bought it. I just wanted the metal.

TDN Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Those would be cool to see.

I'll second that!

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Whoever did the stock opened up a standard stock to the 375 barrel contour. Perfectly functional and I suspect the guy wanted a lower comb for a receiver sight use.

I knew this when I bought it. I just wanted the metal.

I'm glad gunner talked to you about this. He was wondering how the freefloat and barrel channel would look if this were done. I guess that would also depend on who did the work too.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Mark Penrod

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 153, 69 invisible), 2,329 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,536
Posts18,472,786
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.