Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 19 of 20 1 2 17 18 19 20
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thank you both, you may henceforth call me "Jehovah". wink

Seriously, I appreciate your thoughts but assure you I am no sage, just an honest seeker who went through 50 years of misery before discovering how to get out of that misery. These paths have been trod for thousands of years by true sages, their knowledge is there for us to find, we just need to rid ourselves of ideas other humans have used to control us and try to walk those same paths with fresh and open minds.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jim in Idaho,

Now a lot folks claim to know what Jesus wants more than the rest of us misguided souls, but my take away from the things he taught was that he wanted people to turn the other cheek and forgive others all the time, never to judge them.

Generally I agree with this post. Here is a little more information about Jesus. He took time to weave His own whip and kick some butt in the temple. Most folks are familiar with that so I won't document it. Something most are not is "'Judge with righteous judgement.'" John 7:24 In order to do that one must know God's righteous Word and use it, not personal experience or opinion.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Where did I exhibit anger. I challenged a soothsayer to back up his slander.

My anger has no edge compared to the sword of the word.

Five posts in a row a few minutes apart calling someone out, calling people stupid, this quote:
"Give a fool enough rope....*

Granted, AS, it took a long rope.

The Lord fulfills the fruit of my lips."

I'm pretty good at judging human nature, it's been my major course of study for almost 9 years now, and your behavior and words are classic for someone who is angry and trying to lash out and hurt someone or to prove that you are right and they are wrong and they need to bow down to you and admit it. You unfortunately fit the profile of a garden variety "angry Christian" - although there are angry Buddhists, angry Muslims, angry Jews, angry Taoists - even angry atheists, and angry people who label themselves by pretty much any religion. Your human ego is what is ruling you, not the spirit of any deity. You merely use the excuse of your deity to lash out at others in his name. "Thank God I am not like other men!"

Now a lot folks claim to know what Jesus wants more than the rest of us misguided souls, but my take away from the things he taught was that he wanted people to turn the other cheek and forgive others all the time, never to judge them.

Also, you didn't answer my question about what handle you used to post under.

* You seem to know your Bible, so Matthew 5:22 should be familiar to you.

"But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire."

Be careful, God is watching...

Smart post.

Not surprising, considering the author.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jim in Idaho,

You short essay reminds me of an essay I wrote for my entertainment. One of many many. The first three paragraphs follow. They say the same thing you did in a parable.

In a drop of water there thrives a mini-metropolis of unicellular life forms. They have no clue that their drop of water is just one of millions of drops that make up a three foot diameter puddle. This three foot wide puddle is sustaining a whole other ecological level of multicellular life forms. These multicellular creatures have no idea their puddle is merely a small slew attached to a pond. The pond teams with invertebrates and vertebrates that don't know there is a puddle; nor are they cognizant of the fact that there is a whole different kind of ecology with air breathing life forms just beyond the bounds of the pond’s surface.

In the topsoil of the field surrounding the pond are unicellular life forms constantly decomposing and converting dead animal and plant matter into more topsoil. Future vegetation will flourish. Running around in the vegetation of the field is a multiplicity of insects, rodents, reptiles, arachnids and others. These creatures are generally oblivious to the multiplicity of flying creatures soaring above them on currents of air; air that keeps them alive. Some are insects, some are birds, some are mammals. (The Bible and the fossil record indicate that there were flying reptiles that used to fly in the air above the field and the pond.) Some of these flying creatures are aware of the animals, such as mice and toads and snakes that live in the field. The mice and the toads are not aware of us humans living at the edge of the field that surrounds the pond.

We humans are not aware of, nor could we begin to fathom, all that God has created inside, and outside, of (what we think is) our thirty billion light year wide drop. How can we comprehend such a Being as the Infinite Creator, unless He greatly humbles His awesome and magnificent Self and reveals Himself to us in such a way that we finite creatures with extremely limited and deficient intellects will accept?

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
curdog4570,

"There is a principle which is proof against all argument, and a bar to any further information. It condemns a man to everlasting ignorance.

That principle is Contempt, prior to investigation"

That is a very fun statement. Thanks.

Everyday Hunter
IC B2

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
well, since we are in to positing ideas on this beautiful friday morn in late september, then just know that ol Frijof Capra (& others) posit that every single solitary lifeform on this earth evolved from a single cell ornamism. later it split or bifurcated into both the animal and plant kingdoms. thus the trees are our mystical opposites on earth. they breathe in CO2 and breathe out oxygen. we, their mirror images, do just the reverse in perfect order.

then, ol Nikola Tesla, a man of many ideas, were believed by some to be receiving very valuable information from outside our solar system. maybe from a far distant star system even. ol Tesla, what a character he was. if the gov't hadn't seized a lot of his writings, we'd probably be further along than we are.

at any rate, it's every bit very interesting, no matter in which seat we reside at the RoundTable.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thank you for that, I like it. You state my left brained struggling for understanding in a much more poetic fashion. I think many of us are on the same page here with perhaps only minor differences of interpretation. Or to take a stab at poetry, we all see the same beautiful forest, what we might name the individual trees is a small matter.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The exploration into the meaning of it all can be "interesting". I talked about the metaphysical leading into left field, well...

One person, a distinguished doctorate of practical science, went to India and studied there. He came back fully believing that what we call "God" is simply a regional sub-governor on the next plane of existence up from ours, and that there are several planes above that, seven in all. He knew this because the Indian holy men had traveled to those higher planes in their meditations.

Another fellow postulates that the man we call Jesus of Nazareth was actually an alien from a spiritually advanced planet who was sent to Earth to enlighten us.

I'm a practical person, left brained to the core - "does it work?" is my motto. Also "what is true?" and what is a good way to determine what is true. I looked at the things people from all over the planet in all times have taught us, people who possibly never heard of each other. They each had their cultural leanings and interpretations, Siddhartha Gautama was a handsome Indian prince, Jesus was a Jew under Roman occupation, Marcus Aurelius was a practical warrior and ruler of a vast empire and who didn't like Christians, Epictetus was a slave of that empire, Tolstoy was Russian aristocracy - but when you distill down their teachings and writings, they are all telling us the same things about how to be happy here and now. It's that sameness of thought spanning time and distance that convinced me that there must be something to it and any differences of opinion in the cults that sprang up around these people - for example a messianic virgin birth or a Hindu blue skinned charioteer - shouldn't get in the way of their core teachings.

To get back to the thread - is there a God and how can we find out if this God exists? I don't know, nor would I know how to define that God in a way acceptable to everyone. But I am convinced there is something beyond us, a "higher power" is the only name I can give it, and it is benevolent. It's portal to existence lives in the quietest parts of our minds, the still, small voice. There is also something darker out there (or in here) and it lives in our minds as well. It does all it can to destroy our happiness and it lives in the flashy, loud things, its path is through the bright golden gateway.

To the best of my knowledge, our job here between birth and death is to try to find that still, small, benevolent voice while the loud voice is screaming at us and pulling every dirty trick in the book to convince us to ignore that still voice. Why that is I have no idea, that's just the way it is.

and as we say in internet land - that's just my humble opinion.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
yep, that about sums it up very nicely. i, too can be drawn into the left field fairly easily on occasion.

as a commoner, i certainly see no reason to ignore the Great Teachings that have come down to us over the thousands of years of oral & written traditions. probably the greatest teacher to ever visit earth was Jesus, the Christ.

but he certainly wasn't alone in his efforts.

and here we are, and Life goes on.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One person, a distinguished doctorate of practical science, went to India and studied there. He came back fully believing that what we call "God" is simply a regional sub-governor on the next plane of existence up from ours, and that there are several planes above that, seven in all. He knew this because the Indian holy men had traveled to those higher planes in their meditations.

Your entire post is excellent, Jehovah grin, and I've selected just this part for comment.

There is no question that a man can reach an altered state of consciousness thru meditation, but attempts to even understand, much less explain, the sensations experienced in that altered state have never added much to our knowledge of God as far as I can see. The Revelation to St. John is no exception save his instructions to the churches, and we can't be sure of even THAT.

God gave us a brain to use and deliberately dis-engaging its connection to Reality in search of some mystical greater knowledge is an insult to our Creator as I see it. As you pointed out, there is agreement from many sources on what it takes to be productive and content in this life.

The maxim; "Better is the enemy of 'good enough' " might well apply.

If he knows from the git-go that more knowledge of a particular subject is not going to result in different actions, it's a waste of time for a practical man.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know if Chief Red Cloud actually wrote this, but it is attributed to him. Whoever wrote wrote it defined our enemy perfectly.

O' Great Spirit, Wakan Tanka

Whose voice I hear in the winds;

and whose breath gives life to all the world, hear me!

I am small and weak,

I need your strength and wisdom.

Let Me Walk in Beauty, and make my eyes ever

behold the red and purple sunset.

Make My Hands respect the things you have made

and my ears sharp to hear your voice.

Make Me Wise so that I may understand

the things you have taught my people.

Let Me Learn the lessons you have hidden

in every leaf and rock.

I Seek Strength, not to be greater than my brother,

but to fight my greatest enemy-myself.

Make Me Always Ready to come to you

with clean hands and straight eyes,

So When Life Fades, as the fading sunset,

my spirit may come to you without shame.

It would be hard to improve on this.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
yes, indeed it would (be difficult to improve on this).

if everyone could just recieve the gnosis[b][/b] in equal amounts, the whole world might be different than "what it is."

i do enjoy these somewhat esoteric discussions, and hope i don't afend, or hurt anyone's feelings. but if we just could possess the knowledge of how best to achieve a salvatory solution to at least a part of the equation would or could be a good thing.

i fully understand that when one is captured. or inculcated into a cult, escape can be a difficult enterprise.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
curdog4570,

It's quite easy to improve on that.

Jesus says, "'I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father but through Me.'"

Apostle Peter said,
"'Jesus is the Stone which was rejected by you, the builders, but which became the Chief Corner Stone. And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved.'"

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ringman
curdog4570,

Jesus says, "'I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father but through Me.'"

Apostle Peter said,
"'Jesus is the Stone which was rejected by you, the builders, but which became the Chief Corner Stone. And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved.'"

Jesus never claimed that a person had to KNOW that Jesus was the agent that brought him to the Father. I repeat.... NEVER.

As far as Peter's statement, he is just repeating what Jesus already said.

Surely you don't believe that semantics play a role in salvation.[ You gotta pronounce it like this, Pedro...GEE_ZUS..not HAY-SOOSE, or you're still hell bound]

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
there's so many cults in this world. most are dime a dozen garden variety types.

a few, about 7 at last count have global implications, and are working hard to nudge out the other 6, at least by a nose, to enter into the winners circle.

the left-overs will be sent to pasture, or more productively sent to the rendering plant to provide input for the cats and dogs who need good rations.

when one dares to enter into the metaphysical, mystical, esoteric world, one has volunteered to walk in a very potentially fiery zone.

and then there's the supernatural aspects of the discussion.

where is gnosis when one needs it most?

P
pod Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I never met an atheist or non believer in a fox hole. just saying

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by pod
I never met an atheist or non believer in a fox hole. just saying

yep. we got here by some method, means, or process. that's pretty much a military certainty.

and humans have fought each other from nearly the beginning.

i wonder why folks choose to fight each other? they/we both breathe oxygen, and [bleep] in the woods, don't we?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by curdog4570
curdog4570,

Apostle Peter said,

Jesus never claimed that a person had to KNOW that Jesus was the agent that brought him to the Father. I repeat.... NEVER.

Surely you don't believe that semantics play a role in salvation.[ You gotta pronounce it like this, Pedro...GEE_ZUS..not HAY-SOOSE, or you're still hell bound]

You didn't catch the quote from Jesus in the first part of my post?

Everyday Hunter
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by curdog4570
curdog4570,

Apostle Peter said,

not to afend, but why not more talk about the mighty YHWH, the ldr of the whole episode, but we choose to talk about his son jesus?

why is one more important than the other?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You didn't read my answer?

Page 19 of 20 1 2 17 18 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 160user, 007FJ, 76 invisible), 2,376 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,150
Posts18,484,227
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.