Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 43 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 42 43
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by ironbender
You'll have to follow this with a thread about bike lanes, so the same bike bitchers can bitch about them!

Are you saying there are motorists who hate bike lanes?

I'm saying there are posters that will bitch about a problem and then bitch about a solution! grin

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Because you routinely wave me to pass when approaching a curve, on a hill or in a no-passing zone.

If I pass you on a curve, double yellow and a car shows up, it's you that is getting pushed to the ditch.

You just follow the rules and I will too.

If you don't like me following you, then go faster.

Because you often do NOT follow the rules of the road.

An entire pack, 25+, ran a stop-sign in front of me, forcing me to choose between the opposite side ditch or having three of them as a hood ornament.

Oh yeah, and when you come to the coffee shop after your run, please dress, having a bunch of sweaty riders, with bulging quadriceps and mini peckers makes me pass coffee out my nose...............

You want to ride a 45# vehicle in traffic go ahead, have fun, I'm sure not all are jerks...........

Last edited by muffin; 09/28/16.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
I've been riding bikes on the roads for decades.

That said it comes down to courtesy and safety. Whether a car is driving slowly and impeding the flow of traffic or a bike is doing the same, it isn't safe. Yesterday when I was driving to work there was a guy on a bike that was blocking a lane of traffic. The road didn't have a bike lane and he couldn't ride far enough over to allow cars to pass. He could have ridden on the sidewalk. I thought the guy was an idiot, he was endangering himself and others by his actions.

To me it's just common sense. When riding a bike I don't want to tangle with a car because I will loose. I'll do everything reasonable to keep myself tangling with traffic even if my "rights" allow me to be an idiot.

I've only tangled with a car once, and while technically it wasn't my fault I realize I could have avoided it. I was at an intersection and when the light turned green I pedaled away. A car the pulled away slowly and I was right beside him. He made a right turn into me just after the intersection. I was in his blind spot and didn't see his turn signal. Fortunately he made a very slow turn so I just scraped my leg against the side of his car and didn't go down. A very loud F bomb got his attention.

Expect people to do stupid stuff and do everything you can to be safe.

Bikes do not generally belong on sidewalks. It's dangerous. Motorists are not expecting traffic moving at bicycle speeds on sidewalks. I'll opine that the bicyclist you mentioned was safer in the center of the lane (cars had obviously seen him and reacted.) How many times have you hit a slower moving vehicle? I am going to guess none. It's easy to avoid running over someone if you are paying attention. If a driver isn't payin attention and hits a slow moving vehicle, it is THAT DRIVER that was unsafe, not the slow moving vehicle. I will never stack traffic up behind me. I'll ease over and let it vent.

The accident you described is a right hook, and they are generally avoidable. In fact most of the accidents mentioned in this link are fairly easy to avoid. http://bicyclesafe.com/

The most difficult to mitigate is the rear end. Cyclist lane position is often the source of much frustration for motorists, but is also often used by bicyclists to mitigate risks.

We have a law that if a slower moving vehicle is impeding five or more vehicles, the vehicle needs to move over to let them pass. As it was the morning commute, there were more than five vehicles behind him. He was oblivious to this and could care not. There wasn't a single person on the sidewalk and he could have easily and safely ridden on the sidewalk to allow traffic to pass him.

Slow moving vehicles do cause risks. There is a big difference between sharing the road and trying to own the road.

You do have a good law in that one... I've seen it ignored quite often though, but it helps.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by muffin
Because you routinely wave me to pass when approaching a curve, on a hill or in a no-passing zone.

If I pass you on a curve, double yellow and a car shows up, it's you that is getting pushed to the ditch.

You just follow the rules and I will too.

If you don't like me following you, then go faster.

Because you often do NOT follow the rules of the road.

An entire pack, 25+, ran a stop-sign in front of me, forcing me to choose between the opposite side ditch or having three of them as a hood ornament.

Oh yeah, and when you come to the coffee shop after your run, please dress, having a bunch of sweaty riders, with bulging quadriceps and mini peckers makes me pass coffee out my nose...............

You want to ride a 45# vehicle in traffic go ahead, have fun, I'm sure not all are jerks...........

I will often communicate with drivers that come up behind me. I have waved plenty around. When I do that I am not giving a directive, but rather that's my way of telling them I am prepared for them to come around. I know full well I am the sacrificial lamb if things go south. I will also hold up my hand in a stop position if a detect a hazard. Again I am not issuing a directive, but rather letting them know I don't think it's safe to come around. I wave to those that are courteous as they pass. It's my way of saying thanks.

Obviously that group of cyclists should have stopped. Do you think each one of those cyclists should have come to a stop and moved individually through the stop sign?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
You'll have to follow this with a thread about bike lanes, so the same bike bitchers can bitch about them!

I'm saying there are posters that will bitch about a problem and then bitch about a solution! grin

Forums were invented so that we would all have a place to bitch.

IC B2

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

Isn't that called being flexible?

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

Yes, but there's no denying, you have brought it upon yourself.

We just don't see that much, though I've been good at it a few times. grin

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RickyD

Yes, but there's no denying, you have brought it upon yourself.

We just don't see that much, though I've been good at it a few times. grin

I knew full well coming in that I was providing a public service!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Obviously that group of cyclists should have stopped. Do you think each one of those cyclists should have come to a stop and moved individually through the stop sign?

Should each car stop at the sign, or is it OK for 6 cars to go through!?!?!?

Or am I supposed to GUESS how many at once, and which ones will stop????

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Well I'll just tell you up front I find bikers that pick out narrow curves hilly rural roads incredibly rude self centered jerks. Its not that I don't like bikes and I think programs to provide appropriate places to ride such as rails to trails etc fine ideas. I just don't think they belong in the road/street anymore than golf carts, go carts, jazzes kick scooters , riding lawn mowers , skateboards and other means of conveyance. Let me ask you, why don't you just ride on the sidewalk?

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
He lined 'em up pretty good. Not that it would be hard. Bet the pavement was, though.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by rost495

You do have a good law in that one... I've seen it ignored quite often though, but it helps.

No kidding! wink
I'm #11 in this line with more piling up behind me.

[Linked Image]

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by RWE
So give me your best shot. In the end we may all learn something.

ok

when you are riding in a group, and a woman is in front of you, are you watching her butt?

Yes, because she's breaking the law.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by muffin

Should each car stop at the sign, or is it OK for 6 cars to go through!?!?!?

Or am I supposed to GUESS how many at once, and which ones will stop????

Let me see if I can do a better job of gauging your thought processes. If you were behind a group of 20 bicyclists, would you rather they stop, then move through as a unit or each one wait until the bike ahead clears then move through as an individual rider? I don't ride in groups of 20, but when I do ride in groups, we move through as a unit as opposed to a bunch of individuals. We do that so that we get out of the way of motorists more quickly. We always yield right of way. I assumed that drivers would appreciate the gesture.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Alrighty then. Here we is!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by RickyD

Isn't that called being flexible?

If you like. seems like irony to me.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495

No kidding! wink
I'm #11 in this line with more piling up behind me.

[Linked Image]

And there was adequate room for the RV to pull over and let traffic vent.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
[quote=muffin]Let me see if I can do a better job of gauging your thought processes. If you were behind a group of 20 bicyclists, would you rather they stop, then move through as a unit or each one wait until the bike ahead clears then move through as an individual rider? I don't ride in groups of 20, but when I do ride in groups, we move through as a unit as opposed to a bunch of individuals. We do that so that we get out of the way of motorists more quickly. We always yield right of way. I assumed that drivers would appreciate the gesture.

That's why I damn near ran over 15 of you guys, I was on a straight road, there was a road that 'T' into the road I was on, they had a stop sign, and the pack ran through the sign and into my lane going the same direction as me..........but hey, the guy behind them didn't have to wait!!!!!

plus it's pretty ballsy that the back of the pack trusts the front guy with the decision........

( . Y . )
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
As long as they stay outta the road IDGAF what they do, even if it is dressing like a herd of sackwashers on the way to a boy george concert! sick

Trump Won!
Page 6 of 43 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 42 43

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 1badf350, 007FJ, 1Akshooter, 57 invisible), 2,458 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,049
Posts18,500,981
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.