Hop To
Page 8 of 43 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 42 43
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by RickyD
Originally Posted by gunner500
As long as they stay outta the road IDGAF what they do, even if it is dressing like a herd of sackwashers on the way to a boy george concert! sick
I really shouldn't read your posts at work. About chit myself holding the belly laugh down, I did. grin

Well Hell, ole bicycle billy did ASK! cool smile

Trump Won!

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Just a few thoughts. I recently returned from a 3k mile roadtrip through Nv., Id. and Mt. and passed many bicyclists, few of whom pissed me off. I have observed over many years as a hiker, runner, biker and paddler that people on/in motorized conveyances have an attitude resentful of the self powered.

Jet skiers and Atv riders are worthy of a separate discussion by outdoors people.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by Redneck
Other than the hilarous "aero" helmets and silky shorties, I don't mind 'em a bit. Interesting how fast they move out of the way when being overtaken by a 35 ton CLAAS 940 chopper with an 8-row corn head mounted in front.. laugh

I think they're more of a pita in the city than on any country road; if for no other reason than they rarely obey any street signs (stop, yield, etc) in larger cities..

YMMV..

Ride safe, Paul..

Those corn farming implements are impressive, and the corn growers are good folks.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Those guys look pizzed-some farmer must have butchered all their farm dates and made hamburger out of 'em.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by muffin
Paul Barnard, you are probably a great guy, but IMHO, 'Let me see if I can do a better job of gauging your thought processes' doesn't sound exactly ..... Campfireish????

I will try again if it will do any good. I really would like to know if drivers would prefer a group of bicyclists each stop then proceed through individually or stop occupying the space of a single vehicle, yield right of way, then move through together. I always felt like I was doing the right thing moving together as a unit.

What does the Law say?

There is no "the" law. Each state has different laws. Some states have laws that allow more than two abreast. I have never seen the issue of moving through together addressed legally. Even if it were illegal, I'd be inclined to do it if could do so without neglecting my duty to yield right of way.

I said earlier that I often break the law on my bike. Sometimes it's purely for selfish reasons. Sometimes it serves a greater good. I was stopped at a stop light the other day. The vehicle behind me honked. I noticed he had his right turn signal on. There was no cross traffic. I ran the red light. He honked and waved as he made his right. It worked out well for both of us.

If you are interested in looking at something, look at this. Google Pasadena Ave Metairie LA. Look at where it intersects with Metairie road. Then look across at Houma Ave. If I leave my house on Pasadena and want to take Houma because it leads me to the levee bike path, I have two choices. The legal way means I have to take a right and run down narrow congested Metairie road for several hundred yards, hit a U turn, then go back along congested Metairie road for several hundred yards before turning on Houma. Or I can do a quick sprint on Metairie Rd to the U, then when traffic clears go the wrong way on Metairie for 50 yards then turn on Houma.

If I follow the law, I am going to slow traffic considerably and expose myself to greater risks. If I break the law in the way I describe, it will not negatively affect anyone and I won't delay a soul for a second. I will be exposed to lesser risk. What do you think I should do? What do you think most motorists would want me to do?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by viking
Well for starters, they should have to be inspected, carry insurance, have a license plate visible just like a car or motorcycle being they want the equal rights and privileges to hog the road.

They should be ticketed for impeding traffic on roads with no shoulder and a double yellow line.

Most are gay like, they seldom obey traffic laws, in general they are a scourge to the safety of the motoring public.
To say they seldom obey traffic laws is being way too generous. They have a total disdain for traffic lights, stop signs, and even which side of the road they should be on. Turn signals are a mystery to them too, but then again, they are a mystery to most car drivers too.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I just now noticed that you are from FL. FL has a bicycle death rate that is twice the national average. I suspect what you saw explains it in part. There is something going on down there. I can honestly say I have never seen a cyclist blow through a traffic control device without looking.

I don't think they drive/cycle any different down here, but being the smallest, geography wise, of the 3 largest state populations, with 365 days of cycling weather, I would expect the numbers to be higher....

but maybe they do!

I had never considered the 365 weather aspect of it. That surely contributes to the numbers.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
In all 50 states, people on bikes are required to follow the same laws as other drivers.

Here are a few key principles that underpin all US traffic laws:

First Come, First Served
Everyone on the road is entitled to the lane width they need. This includes the space behind, to each side and the space in front. If you want to use someone else’s space you must yield to whoever is using it.

Ride on the Right
In the United States, everyone must drive on the right-hand side of the roadway.

Yielding to Crossing Traffic
When you come to an intersection, if you don’t have the right of way, you must yield.

Yielding when Changing Lanes
If you want to change lanes, you must yield to traffic that is in your new lane of travel.

Speed Positioning
The slowest vehicles on the road should be the furthest to the right. Where you position yourself on the road depends on the location of any parked cars, your speed, and your destination. Always pass on the left.

Lane Positioning
Bikes can share the same lane with other drivers. If a lane is wide enough to share with another vehicle (about 14 feet), ride three feet to the right of traffic. If the lane is not wide enough to share, “take the lane” by riding in the middle.

Intersection positioning
When there is a lane that is used for more than one direction, use the rightmost lane going in the direction you are traveling.

Follow all street signs, signals, and markings

http://bikeleague.org/content/traffic-laws

Don't blame me, I didn't write it................

Last edited by muffin; 09/28/16.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Just a few thoughts. I recently returned from a 3k mile roadtrip through Nv., Id. and Mt. and passed many bicyclists, few of whom pissed me off. I have observed over many years as a hiker, runner, biker and paddler that people on/in motorized conveyances have an attitude resentful of the self powered.

Jet skiers and Atv riders are worthy of a separate discussion by outdoors people.

mike r

I am a motor boater and a kayaker. Kayaks are to motor boaters as bicycles are to motorists.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

mike r

I am a motor boater and a kayaker. Kayaks are to motor boaters as bicycles are to motorists.

That's not exactly right there Paul, the UN-powered vessel HAS the right-of-way.............

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Originally Posted by viking
Well for starters, they should have to be inspected, carry insurance, have a license plate visible just like a car or motorcycle being they want the equal rights and privileges to hog the road.

They should be ticketed for impeding traffic on roads with no shoulder and a double yellow line.

Most are gay like, they seldom obey traffic laws, in general they are a scourge to the safety of the motoring public.
To say they seldom obey traffic laws is being way too generous. They have a total disdain for traffic lights, stop signs, and even which side of the road they should be on. Turn signals are a mystery to them too, but then again, they are a mystery to most car drivers too.

With all that lawlessness and reckless abandon, you'd think that bicycling deaths would be more common than they are. As it stands the numbers aren't much higher than accidental gun deaths. I suspect that the riders are more in tune to their surroundings than many realize. Do you unfailingly obey every traffic law?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger

mike r

That's not exactly right there Paul, the UN-powered vessel HAS the right-of-way.............

Can you cite the navigation rule that sets that forth?

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 09/28/16.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

mike r

This is true but I believe I must be invisible when in a kayak, or just a slow moving target.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
In all 50 states, people on bikes are required to follow the same laws as other drivers.

Here are a few key principles that underpin all US traffic laws:

First Come, First Served
Everyone on the road is entitled to the lane width they need. This includes the space behind, to each side and the space in front. If you want to use someone else’s space you must yield to whoever is using it.

Ride on the Right
In the United States, everyone must drive on the right-hand side of the roadway.

Yielding to Crossing Traffic
When you come to an intersection, if you don’t have the right of way, you must yield.

Yielding when Changing Lanes
If you want to change lanes, you must yield to traffic that is in your new lane of travel.

Speed Positioning
The slowest vehicles on the road should be the furthest to the right. Where you position yourself on the road depends on the location of any parked cars, your speed, and your destination. Always pass on the left.

Lane Positioning
Bikes can share the same lane with other drivers. If a lane is wide enough to share with another vehicle (about 14 feet), ride three feet to the right of traffic. If the lane is not wide enough to share, “take the lane” by riding in the middle.

Intersection positioning
When there is a lane that is used for more than one direction, use the rightmost lane going in the direction you are traveling.

Follow all street signs, signals, and markings

http://bikeleague.org/content/traffic-laws

Don't blame me, I didn't write it................

So far in this conversation, I don't think any of that has been the source of disagreement.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by Bristoe
That looks deliberate. He moved over on the shoulder to hit them.

I thought the same thing. Pretty stupid!

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by Bristoe
That looks deliberate. He moved over on the shoulder to hit them.

I have seen that before. In motorcycle speak I suspect it was target fixation. The rider looked at what he wanted to avoid rather than where he wanted to go. The bike follows the eyes.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm planning to get back on my bicycles after a decade of not riding. Motorists playing with their cell phones has scared me off from riding the road bike so I'll ride the mountain bike on some dirt back roads and two tracks.

I've seen bad manners from cyclists and from motorists.

The difference is a motorist with poor road manners can and has killed cyclists while cyclists can only irritate you.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I bike home from work. At least half the route is within a big greenway near the Salt River. It's one of the great blessings in my life. Dunno if I'm supposed to get spandex or not, but seeing as I've made due with regular shorts for about 45 years now, spandex is probably not on my shopping list.

As far as cardio goes, it's a whole lot kinder than running. And in the summer, biking is cooler than walking.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Follow the law and I'm ok with it. Bunch up and stop traffic and I'd just as soon see your ass run over.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by bangeye
Well I'll just tell you up front I find bikers that pick out narrow curves hilly rural roads incredibly rude self centered jerks. Its not that I don't like bikes and I think programs to provide appropriate places to ride such as rails to trails etc fine ideas. I just don't think they belong in the road/street anymore than golf carts, go carts, jazzes kick scooters , riding lawn mowers , skateboards and other means of conveyance. Let me ask you, why don't you just ride on the sidewalk?

The best research I can do shows accidents are more likely to occur on a sidewalk than on the open road. You won't find a single person who has studied sidewalk bicycling who doesn't strongly recommend against it. I love rura backroads and have managed to ride many thousands of miles on them without an accidental close call. I have had people purposefully brush pass me. I doubt anyone has ever had to back off the gas for more than 30 seconds or so for me. Most of the time it's seconds if at all. Every single day of my life I have to back off the gas for longer than that for a slow driver in the left lane. What's the longest you have ever been held up by a bicyclist?

Actually I have been held up quite a bit of time multiple times, but maybe it just me being too careful, as I would really hate to run over somebody no matter how inconsiderate he/she is. The slow downs are especially long on a local road that leads down to the nearby lake. The road is curvy and hilly with no shoulders and is frequented by cars pulling boats. Often there will be quite a backup as some of these cars with heavy boats cannot safely pass thus traffic backs up considerably. I would say 10 -30 minutes isn't uncommon. I know a lady that lives down that way and she leaves for work on 2nd shift an hour earlier than she would normally as this is becoming a popular spot with the local bikers. Think of that she is giving up 5 hours a week because of folks like you.

Also thank you for your response. regarding the sidewalk. I ask it often and always get some BS anecdotal reference that its too dangerous. Talk about screwed up logic a collision between a 220 lb bike and rider and a 175 lb person is too dangerous but a collision between a 3500 lb block of steel and the same 220 lb bike and rider at much greater speed is OK. Isn't what you are really saying is I don't want to have to maybe slow down and be inconvenienced by watching for pedestrians, Id much rather inconvenience everyone else so I can do what I want. Thats what I hear you saying , and frankly i consider you on the same level as the transexuals wanting to use the other sexes bathroom or any other special interest groups wanting special treatment at everyone else's expense.
If the bikers want some place to ride why don't you lobby for a law that requires adequate bike lanes be added or built to hwys and figure out some way to finance it thru taxes. I put forth the excise tax on firearms and ammo and hunting and fishing license fees as good examples. Put a tax on your equipment and require licenses for the roadway and use the money to build places to ride.
I also applaude the thought mentioned that all bikes should meet the insurance and safety requirements , (lights, turn signals brake lights etc.) requirements the same as autos on the road. Sorry Bud but your wrong and you know it and no matter how trite your answers and justification is its BS.

Last edited by bangeye; 09/28/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm a little late to this but fu ck anyone riding a bike in the middle of the road. Thanks that is all

Page 8 of 43 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 42 43

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (1minute, 219 Wasp, 007FJ, 1badf350, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,361 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,031
Posts18,500,564
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.