Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 43 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 42 43
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I quit riding a damn bike when Dad turned me loose with his '50 Ford pickup!!

Before that it was a Mustang....a REAL ONE!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some of you guys must absolutely lose it when you get caught at a couple red lights in a row.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Will tell this with a different slant, no pun intended.

Average sized Vietnamese male trying to get out of Dodge on a bike, peddling like a mad man. I would'a been doing something myself if a Charlie model Huey was at my six acting like he was the new sheriff in town, but probably not peddling straight down a dirt trail to Hell.

A H/E quick fuse on a 10# warhead, propelled by a 2.75" FFAR slithered just under the peddler's cheeks, detonated on the seat and whaddya know, bikers can fly!

Made a mess of the bike too.

Lesson here for bike riders is don't pizz off a chopper pilot. Act calm and casual, do not run or peddle fast. Always be polite and don't mince words when he asks for directions to the nearest bar.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I've raced mountain bikes and done a lot of stupid things on motorcycles but I'll never ride another road bike unless it's a closed course. Watched a buddy get taken out by a pickup on a narrow road. He was hugging the right side of the road and the pickup thought he would just squeeze by so as not to wait for the oncoming car to pass. Nope.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
After years of riding bicycles in urban traffic, if you expect cars to not run you over, all of them, you have already lost.

Riding in heavy traffic will quickly teach you to pay attention.

Sorry about your bud.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
I bike home from work. At least half the route is within a big greenway near the Salt River. It's one of the great blessings in my life. Dunno if I'm supposed to get spandex or not, but seeing as I've made due with regular shorts for about 45 years now, spandex is probably not on my shopping list.

As far as cardio goes, it's a whole lot kinder than running. And in the summer, biking is cooler than walking.

My knees are slaughtered. I limit the amount of impact I subject them to.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[s][/s]Get off the road ! . your ride has no lights , can't keep up with traffic u got a perfectly good bike trail 10' on one side of the road or the other .....yet u get in my f/ing way , to top it off u paid no taxes to build or repair any of it !!!!!!!!! ....bikers are like teenage unwed mothers ......easy ,pay for nothing ...take take take....use use use ...

Last edited by atvalaska; 09/28/16.

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bangeye
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by bangeye
Well I'll just tell you up front I find bikers that pick out narrow curves hilly rural roads incredibly rude self centered jerks. Its not that I don't like bikes and I think programs to provide appropriate places to ride such as rails to trails etc fine ideas. I just don't think they belong in the road/street anymore than golf carts, go carts, jazzes kick scooters , riding lawn mowers , skateboards and other means of conveyance. Let me ask you, why don't you just ride on the sidewalk?

The best research I can do shows accidents are more likely to occur on a sidewalk than on the open road. You won't find a single person who has studied sidewalk bicycling who doesn't strongly recommend against it. I love rura backroads and have managed to ride many thousands of miles on them without an accidental close call. I have had people purposefully brush pass me. I doubt anyone has ever had to back off the gas for more than 30 seconds or so for me. Most of the time it's seconds if at all. Every single day of my life I have to back off the gas for longer than that for a slow driver in the left lane. What's the longest you have ever been held up by a bicyclist?

Actually I have been held up quite a bit of time multiple times, but maybe it just me being too careful, as I would really hate to run over somebody no matter how inconsiderate he/she is. The slow downs are especially long on a local road that leads down to the nearby lake. The road is curvy and hilly with no shoulders and is frequented by cars pulling boats. Often there will be quite a backup as some of these cars with heavy boats cannot safely pass thus traffic backs up considerably. I would say 10 -30 minutes isn't uncommon. I know a lady that lives down that way and she leaves for work on 2nd shift an hour earlier than she would normally as this is becoming a popular spot with the local bikers. Think of that she is giving up 5 hours a week because of folks like you.

Also thank you for your response. regarding the sidewalk. I ask it often and always get some BS anecdotal reference that its too dangerous. Talk about screwed up logic a collision between a 220 lb bike and rider and a 175 lb person is too dangerous but a collision between a 3500 lb block of steel and the same 220 lb bike and rider at much greater speed is OK. Isn't what you are really saying is I don't want to have to maybe slow down and be inconvenienced by watching for pedestrians, Id much rather inconvenience everyone else so I can do what I want. Thats what I hear you saying , and frankly i consider you on the same level as the transexuals wanting to use the other sexes bathroom or any other special interest groups wanting special treatment at everyone else's expense.
If the bikers want some place to ride why don't you lobby for a law that requires adequate bike lanes be added or built to hwys and figure out some way to finance it thru taxes. I put forth the excise tax on firearms and ammo and hunting and fishing license fees as good examples. Put a tax on your equipment and require licenses for the roadway and use the money to build places to ride.
I also applaude the thought mentioned that all bikes should meet the insurance and safety requirements , (lights, turn signals brake lights etc.) requirements the same as autos on the road. Sorry Bud but your wrong and you know it and no matter how trite your answers and justification is its BS.

That you think bicyclists only interact with pedestrians in sidewalk bicycling is very telling of the amount of thought you have put into it.

I must also say that I am a bit disappointed on a forum like this that so many are advocating for more taxation and more regulation. Hillary appreciates your support!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by atvalaska
Get off the road ! . your ride has no lights , can't keep up with traffic u got a perfectly good bike trail 10' on one side of the road or the other .....yet u get in my f/ing way , to top it off u paid no taxes to bold or repair any out it !!!!!!!!!

How much money are you willing to bet on your belief that cyclists don't pay for roadways?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by InternetGuru
I've raced mountain bikes and done a lot of stupid things on motorcycles but I'll never ride another road bike unless it's a closed course. Watched a buddy get taken out by a pickup on a narrow road. He was hugging the right side of the road and the pickup thought he would just squeeze by so as not to wait for the oncoming car to pass. Nope.

I am sorry about your friend. That is the very reason that many cyclists don't hug the white line. It seems to invite a squeeze pass.

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I don't mind the bike riders too much. I wish they would give up on the multi color tour de France outfits that effectively break up their outline though. Especially along rural roads with an autumn foliage back drop. I'm happy to see the solid florescent green becoming popular.

Leave the gun, take the canolis.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

I am sorry about your friend. That is the very reason that many cyclists don't hug the white line. It seems to invite a squeeze pass.

That's because they're holding up traffic flow. And as far as how often and how long do I have to deal with it? Every single time, that's how often, until I can get around them, every single time.

Get's real old. And I detest going into oncoming traffics lane when I have a perfectly good lane being used by some toad on a tricycle.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by klondike_mike
I don't mind the bike riders too much. I wish they would give up on the multi color tour de France outfits that effectively break up their outline though. Especially along rural roads with an autumn foliage back drop. I'm happy to see the solid florescent green becoming popular.

I stick to paths as much as possible, but when I am in traffic, I always wear bright clothing. I have never been treated more respectfully as I was when I started wearing this American flag and USA shorts combo though. My riding bud who isn't really safety minded even commented how well the motorists were treating us the first time I rode with it. I think when they see it, it somehow humanizes the experience. I am no longer just this irritation they encounter or some Lance wannabe, I am a human. A human who loves this country.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here we go ...now your to tell me since your a unwed mother ..that u pay taxes to , so the free b's from .gov are part of what is available in the system ...here we go ...I want to see user fees !!!

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by atvalaska
Here we go ...now your to tell me since your a unwed mother ..that u pay taxes to , so the free b's from .gov are part of what is available in the system ...here we go ...I want to see user fees !!!

Nope, why don't you do some homework on how local, state and federal road construction and maintenance are funded and get back with me.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Some of you guys must absolutely lose it when you get caught at a couple red lights in a row.

Welll what I can say, is I despise lights. We used to have 2 in town. then 3. They just added 3 more. I"m not happy at all.

And the fact I have to yield at stop signs now is what I run around saying... point is, used to be you rarely had to do anything but stop and then go... traffic was a none issue.

But I'm told I'm 100 years too late and born in the wrong state to boot...

I really like riding bikes for exercise. Need to get back to it, but on teh farm and not out on the dang roads.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I ride all the time. I'm not a racer, but I love to ride my mountain bike in the sad hills. I haven't driven anything but my bicycle since Sunday, other than to take my wife to dinner last night. If the weather is nice, and I'm not pulling a boat, why burn gas?

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Bicyclist have the right away period! just as a pedestrian would.

What the dumbassed prick headed inconsiderate Bicyclist seems to forget sometimes is that the right of way doesn't do you any good when your dead.

Ride smart, stay safe.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by rost495

You do have a good law in that one... I've seen it ignored quite often though, but it helps.

No kidding! wink
I'm #11 in this line with more piling up behind me.

[Linked Image]

We cut across 8? on the way home and end up on the parks.. I hate the parks... But I have to say on the 20th of September most everyone was kind enough to pull over if they were slow. Was a blessing with all the rain and wind.

First year we came up, 86, I'd never heard Mom say much of anything bad.... we were in my truck, and had been all over the state when we come around a curve going up a slope, somewhere around TOK I think... anyway it was Dad, Mom and I in a single seat truck.... and we come around the curve and see a motor home in front. No one says anything, until mom says, great, another MF Motor Home... that was before the law and the first time I"d heard MF from her in my life.... LOL. Dad and I had a great laugh.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Bicyclist have the right away period! just as a pedestrian would.

What the dumbassed prick headed inconsiderate Bicyclist seems to forget sometimes is that the right of way doesn't do you any good when your dead.

Ride smart, stay safe.

No, but it sure helps with the lawsuits. I have a special insurance policy for the express purpose of it being used to file and win a suit if negligence on the part of a motorist kills me.

Page 9 of 43 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 42 43

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1Akshooter, 10ring1, 63 invisible), 2,488 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,049
Posts18,500,964
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.