Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 43 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 42 43
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
It occurs to me from my participation in a number of different forums that Americans love to express their rage for bicyclists on the road. I am a bicyclist. It's one of my many passions. So give me your best shot. In the end we may all learn something.

I work in Loudoun County and there is a bike trail which extends all the way to DC. One of the areas where the bike trail winds through Leesburg, I always see bicyclists riding on the paved road while the paved bicycle trail is less than 30 ft away. The trail runs parallel with this winding road with many blind turns. Many times the bicyclists are holding up traffic on this road which has 45 mile an hour speed limit. Why would a bicyclist choose to get on this road and not stay on the trail? I don't understand the mindset.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by barm
It occurs to me from my participation in a number of different forums that Americans love to express their rage for bicyclists on the road. I am a bicyclist. It's one of my many passions. So give me your best shot. In the end we may all learn something.

I work in Loudoun County and there is a bike trail which extends all the way to DC. One of the areas where the bike trail winds through Leesburg, I always see bicyclists riding on the paved road while the paved bicycle trail is less than 30 ft away. The trail runs parallel with this winding road with many blind turns. Many times the bicyclists are holding up traffic on this road which has 45 mile an hour speed limit. Why would a bicyclist choose to get on this road and not stay on the trail? I don't understand the mindset.

I don't understand that mindset either. There are some bicycle lanes that run parallel to a parking lane. Some of those lanes are entirely in the door zone of parked cars. I won't ride in those. Around here we have quite a few that are mostly in the door zone. I ride the outer edge of the bike lane. Sometimes motorists buzz me, obviously oblivious to the danger I face riding in a door zone. Dedicated infrastructure like you pointed out though. I'll use it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The out of state dumb [bleep] like to ride on our 70 mph highways.

The same highways loaded with a bunch of grain trucks not to mention 'traffic'.

Complete and utter stupidity.

It should be illegal.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Haven't read many but I am an avid bike rider - even during the winter in MN..
Most riders have the elitist mentality that they are more virtuous than you! I hug the fog line, wear ear buds and listen to the radio! No helmet - after 63.9 years, what's the difference?
Two or more and they drive down county roads side by side 'til someone comes up from behind. I honk my horn and swear at the axxholes - its a violation of state law.
I do wear lycra because it keeps the "boys" in proper order and out of harms way.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
Why a 300 pound middle age lard ass in spandex thinks he is entitled and safe to ride on busy rural roads that logging trucks frequent is beyond me. Hwy 49 here in NC is a grease slick waiting to happen.

Amen brother, they ride up and down 421 and the log trucks scare me when I'm in my car.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Haven't read many but I am an avid bike rider - even during the winter in MN..
Most riders have the elitist mentality that they are more virtuous than you! I hug the fog line, wear ear buds and listen to the radio! No helmet - after 63.9 years, what's the difference?
Two or more and they drive down county roads side by side 'til someone comes up from behind. I honk my horn and swear at the axxholes - its a violation of state law.
I do wear lycra because it keeps the "boys" in proper order and out of harms way.

It sounds like liberal cyclist are the problem (like everything else). Nobody around here would dream of riding in traffic, even if legal.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Bicyclist have the right away period! just as a pedestrian would.

What the dumbassed prick headed inconsiderate Bicyclist seems to forget sometimes is that the right of way doesn't do you any good when your dead.

Ride smart, stay safe.

No, but it sure helps with the lawsuits. I have a special insurance policy for the express purpose of it being used to file and win a suit if negligence on the part of a motorist kills me.

Well that just speaks volumes.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bangeye
Well I'll just tell you up front I find bikers that pick out narrow curves hilly rural roads incredibly rude self centered jerks. Its not that I don't like bikes and I think programs to provide appropriate places to ride such as rails to trails etc fine ideas. I just don't think they belong in the road/street anymore than golf carts, go carts, jazzes kick scooters , riding lawn mowers , skateboards and other means of conveyance. Let me ask you, why don't you just ride on the sidewalk?

The best research I can do shows accidents are more likely to occur on a sidewalk than on the open road. You won't find a single person who has studied sidewalk bicycling who doesn't strongly recommend against it. I love rura backroads and have managed to ride many thousands of miles on them without an accidental close call. I have had people purposefully brush pass me. I doubt anyone has ever had to back off the gas for more than 30 seconds or so for me. Most of the time it's seconds if at all. Every single day of my life I have to back off the gas for longer than that for a slow driver in the left lane. What's the longest you have ever been held up by a bicyclist?

Actually I have been held up quite a bit of time multiple times, but maybe it just me being too careful, as I would really hate to run over somebody no matter how inconsiderate he/she is. The slow downs are especially long on a local road that leads down to the nearby lake. The road is curvy and hilly with no shoulders and is frequented by cars pulling boats. Often there will be quite a backup as some of these cars with heavy boats cannot safely pass thus traffic backs up considerably. I would say 10 -30 minutes isn't uncommon. I know a lady that lives down that way and she leaves for work on 2nd shift an hour earlier than she would normally as this is becoming a popular spot with the local bikers. Think of that she is giving up 5 hours a week because of folks like you.

Also thank you for your response. regarding the sidewalk. I ask it often and always get some BS anecdotal reference that its too dangerous. Talk about screwed up logic a collision between a 220 lb bike and rider and a 175 lb person is too dangerous but a collision between a 3500 lb block of steel and the same 220 lb bike and rider at much greater speed is OK. Isn't what you are really saying is I don't want to have to maybe slow down and be inconvenienced by watching for pedestrians, Id much rather inconvenience everyone else so I can do what I want. Thats what I hear you saying , and frankly i consider you on the same level as the transexuals wanting to use the other sexes bathroom or any other special interest groups wanting special treatment at everyone else's expense.
If the bikers want some place to ride why don't you lobby for a law that requires adequate bike lanes be added or built to hwys and figure out some way to finance it thru taxes. I put forth the excise tax on firearms and ammo and hunting and fishing license fees as good examples. Put a tax on your equipment and require licenses for the roadway and use the money to build places to ride.
I also applaude the thought mentioned that all bikes should meet the insurance and safety requirements , (lights, turn signals brake lights etc.) requirements the same as autos on the road. Sorry Bud but your wrong and you know it and no matter how trite your answers and justification is its BS.

I'll go ahead and help you out since you are having a bad day hun. This is more than a BS anecdotal reference, and it's from but one of many studies done on sidewalk cycling. I hope the cramping eases up soon.

http://www.bike.cornell.edu/pdfs/Sidewalk_biking_FAQ.pdf

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger

What the dumbassed prick headed inconsiderate Bicyclist seems to forget sometimes is that the right of way doesn't do you any good when your dead.

Ride smart, stay safe.

No, but it sure helps with the lawsuits. I have a special insurance policy for the express purpose of it being used to file and win a suit if negligence on the part of a motorist kills me.

It sure does. It tells you that I want my loved ones well cared for if some idiot kills me.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Get bigger tires and sidewalks, rocks etc. won't be a problem for you. Unless you're racing or traveling cross country, there is no reason to ride on skinny tires.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Get bigger tires and sidewalks, rocks etc. won't be a problem for you. Unless you're racing or traveling cross country, there is no reason to ride on skinny tires.

Sidewalks are a dangerous place for bicycles. That's why sidewalk bicycling is illegal in so many places. I have fat tire bikes. I use them off road. I use my bikes with road tires when I ride on the road.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, 70 mph highways are way safer.

You are a self righteous dumbchit.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

Ride smart, stay safe.

Pay her no mind Bangeye, this thread was obviously started by a lactating over ovulating hoe who's biological clock went out when fuggin Globes were hot!

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Can you point out where I said I ride on 70 MPH highways?

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by Bristoe
That looks deliberate. He moved over on the shoulder to hit them.

I have seen that before. In motorcycle speak I suspect it was target fixation. The rider looked at what he wanted to avoid rather than where he wanted to go. The bike follows the eyes.

The guy who makes those rickymouse youtubes frequently sets his camera up at that spot because it's a notorious decreasing radius curve.

Motorcycles and cars frequently lose control at that spot. Someone who would ride a bicycle around there must have a death wish.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Sidewalks are a dangerous place for bicycles. That's why sidewalk bicycling is illegal in so many places. I have fat tire bikes. I use them off road. I use my bikes with road tires when I ride on the road.

Why do you ride on the road?

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Why do you ride on the road?

To get to where I am going. The same reason I drive on the road.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Can you point out where I said I ride on 70 MPH highways?

Originally Posted by deflave
Highway 13 is the interstate paralleling Route 2?

Dave

I was looking at the highway 13 that runs south to north connecting Circle, Macon and Scobey. It's a narrow road, but straight with good sight lines. At first glance, it looks like the kind of road I enjoy. Wide open prairie with mountains in the distance. I can't imagine there would be much traffic.

2 and 13 are 70 mph highways.

Mountains in the distance, yeah only about 400 miles away.

You're either trolling or incredibly ignorant.

Either way you lose ass pirate.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have a special insurance policy for the express purpose of it being used to file and win a suit if negligence on the part of a motorist kills me.

Coulda' saved a lot of bandwidth by just titling this POS thread as such, to start with.
Metarie didn't EXIST when I was a boy in NOLa.,....it was founded and populated by a boom in out of state cretins.
I see nothing's changed much.
You are a self proclaimed prick with ears.
GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I ride a bike a lot, but I guess I'm on the water to much. I believe that the ROW belongs to the biggest vehicle and cringe at the thought of one of my boats stalling in front of a super tanker.

Page 10 of 43 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 42 43

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1minute, 219 Wasp, 52 invisible), 2,307 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,034
Posts18,500,639
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.