-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 18 of 43 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 42 43
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I was shocked to read that JeffO is a bicycle enthusiast.

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nifty-two-fifty
Paul,
You asked why so many Americans don't like bikes on the road. Dozens of folks have told you why.

Then you keep trying to tell these people that they haven't experienced the incidents that they have described to you.

I think you got plenty of answers to your question. Why don't you make it your mission to get the thousands of inconsiderate, self-centered bike riders to follow your rules of good riding manners? You obviously have all the answers and you can make the world a better place.

One of the problems many people mentioned was the bike riders' sense of arrogance. You yourself may have the best riding manners in the world, as you keep claiming to us, however you also seem to suffer from that common bike-rider malady: extreme arrogance.

You, yourself admit that riding in traffic is dangerous and an easy way to get killed. So dangerous, in fact, that you have added accidental death coverage to your life insurance and instructed your wife to sue if you are killed by an errant motorist.

Then when many Campfire members tell you that we don't like bikes on the road because we consider it too dangerous for them and us, you try to argue that it isn't.

Common sense says that if bikes on the road were not a problem then there wouldn't be very many complaints. Since there are so many complaints, common sense says that bikes on the roads must be a problem. Denying it doesn't change a thing.

Bicyclists on the roads don't present a danger at all to an alert motorist. As a bicyclist I use risk mitigation strategies that make bicycling about as safe as driving. I ride with respect to my own vulnerability and with respect to other road users.

Most of the complaints motorists have, based on my experience, are just so much idle whining. I have been driving about 50,000 miles a year for the past decade. From coast to coast on all manner of roadway. On my average commute to work I am held up more by discourteous motorists than I have been by all bicyclists combined over the whole of my life. Most honest people will tell you they have been held up by the actions of one stupid motorist in a single incident more than they have by all bicyclists over the whole of their lives. That's perspective for you.

It's a new world folks. Bicycles are here to stay. Get used to it.

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 09/29/16.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I love to ride a bicycle. Seven years ago I broke my leg and almost got it amputated, had to have emergency surgery. Was on crutches for 11 weeks. Doc told me to get with the physical therapy, most especially riding bicycles.

Well I live way out in the woods in the NC mountains.
I got my mountain bike geared up and went out and rode for 5 minutes the first day. That was painful but got through it.
After a week was riding for a half hour.
Felt better every day.

In two months I was riding for 2 hours a day.
I can tell you the mountain people of North Carolina have no use for a grown man riding a bicycle. They whiz by you, their mirror missing you by 8 inches.
Some yell stuff at you.
I do not wear that gay Tour de France outfit, I wear a white t shirt. No gay French helmet for me, I wear a baseball hat, to which I clip my little rear view mirror. This way I can see which vehicle is coming up upon me from behind.
No fancy bicycle shoes, just wear tennis shoes.

Definitely a hostile reception from the local NC inhabitants.

Now, I am 6-3 and 225, nobody stopped their car and invited me to a fistfight, I would have gladly joined in on that, and probalby won, but they sure enjoy messing with you while they buzz by at 50 mph.

I am 5'11" 170. I have invited a few rude jackholes back to talk. Only one took me up on it, and he ended up apologizing. Most those folks that do that crap are bullies and cowards. Interestingly, 80% of the time a motorist does something especially dumb dangerous or discourteous to me, it's an out of shape middle aged white male. That's what I would bet my life most of the spittle launching blowhards look like. I live in an area that has as many blacks as whites. I have never had a black treat me rudely. NOT ONCE.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MadMooner
One point that is constantly brought up is a cyclist legal right to the road.

Caitlyn Jenner has a legal right to use whatever pisser he likes, but start waving your pecker around the ladies room and your gonna get chit on.

Go in, be considerate, take care of your business and leave, chances are no one will bother it/him whatever.

Why the simple concept of being considerate when you are obviously somewhere you don't belong, even when you have a legal right to be there, escapes so many is puzzling.

I don't ride where I don't belong.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Then stay off the highway!

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Paul, re: the title of your thread -

Does "careful what you ask for - you might get it" come to mind? smile smile

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
It occurs to me from my participation in a number of different forums that Americans love to express their rage for bicyclists on the road. I am a bicyclist. It's one of my many passions. So give me your best shot. In the end we may all learn something.

17 page thread.... I'm curious. Not sure if I'm THAT curious. smile

Paul, I'm a cyclist too. It has transformed my life in the last several years and pulled my ass out of a very dark place. I'm typing this from a high altitude deer camp and I won't be huffing and puffing tomorrow because cycling (climbing) has me in very good aerobic shape.

Are the clothes goofy as hell? Yep. Can bikes be annoying? Yep. Do I love cycling? Yep.

Climbing is my thing. My ideal ride is around 30 miles with lots of long steep climbs and ripping downhills. Love the aerobic rush of having a maxed out heart rate. Love going 40 mph on a featherweight carbon fiber frame and tires an inch wide.

I live at sea level. I love getting to the mountains to ride and do it at least once a year. Talk about a tough transition. Here's my best climb to date.

[Linked Image]

And a fun descent

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I can see where people get aggravated by a peloton of 20 bicyclists, hogging the road and running stop lights etc.

But, I was riding by myself on lonely country roads, not impeding any traffic. In fact, if I was coming up on a curve, and saw in my rear view mirror that a car would have to slow down to pass me, I would just pull over on the shoulder and let the car pass. I am a polite bike rider.

Nonetheless the mountain inhabitants disliked me.

One day I saw four people out in the yard. They had a big dog with them.
As I rode by, Fido ran out and ran up towards me. I saw that he was going to bite my ankle!
This goes way back to the wolf days, the wolf bites than ankle of the elk and cuts the achilles tendon, the elk cannot run, and the wolves kill it.
This mutt was trying to cut my achilles tendon. Hell I already had a broken leg I didn't need a severed achilles tendon.
At the last second, I put my foot out and the damn dog bit my tennis shoe. He got a mouth full of rubber, and he backed off, and I rode on down the road.

A few days later I was riding past the same spot and those people were standing near the mailbox. The dog was not there. I stopped and told them that their dog had almost injured me badly.
These people told me that they were upset with me. They saw how their dog had bitten my shoe, and were concerned that my shoe could have injured their dog's teeth!
All the while they looked at me with a look of contempt.

No, the NC hillbillies have no use for a grown man riding a bicycle.

I passed by a trailer where there were a few people in the front yard. Four pit bulls came tearing after me. I had the jump on them so I just rode off. A Sheriffs deputy just happened to be behind me. I let him catch up with me down the road. I told him that if I ever got attacked I was going to deal with it, pointing to my seat bag. He smiled and said "do what you have to do to deal with the threat."

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Even where there are NO parked cars?

They should be in the bicycle lane if there aren't parked cars.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HitnRun

Then stay off the highway!

For the most part I do. Sometimes I end up on a highway that's less than ideal for bicycles. When I do, I do my best to protect myself and to not inconvenience motorists. This is the kind of highway I enjoy riding. Low traffic with a good shoulder.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Paul, re: the title of your thread -

Does "careful what you ask for - you might get it" come to mind? smile smile

I knew it was coming. I figured it'd be would be good therapy for folks to let them tee off on me.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I don't need therapy! At least not for this.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by muffin

Yet here you are.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I wish all bicyclists would stay that far right of the fog line.
Many won't even move over when there is oncoming traffic, and some can't hear you coming up from behind because of their earbuds.
Seems the music is more important to some than their lives!

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
And it really hasn't changed anything.

If the next cyclist I encounter is as courteous as you all is good.

If the next is an AZZhat, that is what he is.

No different than shooters, hunters, drivers and shoppers!

Last edited by muffin; 09/29/16.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

Yet here you are.

Whatever that means.

IIRC, you invited me.

( . Y . )
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
And it really hasn't changed anything.

If the next cyclist I encounter is as couteous as you all is good.

If the next is an AZZhat, that is what he is.

No different than shooters, hunters, drivers and shoppers!

I didn't expect it to change anything. How many minds or attitudes to you think ever get changed in these campfire threads? I have been in these bicycle on the road discussions on a variety of boards. I hear the same complaints. Some valid, and some not so much. Here are some of the common complaints. And the basic response.

You don't pay road taxes. Yes I do. Ad valorem taxes build local roads. Gas taxes don't cover all the expense of state and federal roads, so my income taxes go to that.

You wear spandex. Well, mine is Lycra to be exact, and why do you care what I wear? When you go to the grocery store, do you check out all the men's apparel?

You break the law. So what, you do to. The difference is when I do it, it doesn't endanger you, and sometimes it helps me get out of your way more quickly.

You are in my way. Maybe for a brief moment. In reality though, stupid and inconsiderate motorists hold you up more than bicyclists do.

There's more. I may touch on them later.

I am about to go look at 19 acres of recreational land that's for sale. It has about 8-9 acres of stocked ponds and adjoins government and paper company land.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I always loved bicycles. From the time I was 10 yrs old I would tie my 22 rifle to the handlebars and ride for miles hunting rabbits, tin cans, etc. Great times.
Then I moved to Durango, CO. Now I despise those arrogant worthless, spandex clothed, road hogs. I could say much more, but I just repeat whats already been said.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I would bet most of the spandex wearing Bicyclist also wear there wife's panties when shes not Home...... grin

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

no traffic here..........

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Page 18 of 43 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 42 43

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1badf350, 222Sako, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 51 invisible), 2,304 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,034
Posts18,500,661
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.