Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 19 of 43 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 42 43
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
It occurs to me from my participation in a number of different forums that Americans love to express their rage for bicyclists on the road. I am a bicyclist. It's one of my many passions. So give me your best shot. In the end we may all learn something.

Paul,

If you love it, good for you. Some of your colleagues are brain dead and around here a few have left this world as road kill. My wife is a Triathlete. She doesn't train on public roads. Here it is hilly, too many blind curves, and traffic goes from light at midday to bumper to bumper at Rushhour.

Speaking of Rush hour around here in Suburbia, Every Tuesday we have a group of 20-30 that insist on riding as people make there way home. They ride on hilly roads with double yellow "do not pass' the whole way. They string cars back 3/4 of a mile or more. Going up hill, this peloton will slow to 10 mph as these recreation cyclists huff and puff.

They tell me they have the same right to the road as cars. I disagree. I use my car for transportation, they are cycling for recreation. I can't play golf down the middle of a road.

Further along with that thought is cyclists must follow the same rules as motorists. Yeah, right!!! They blow through stop signs, pass on the right, weave in and out of stopped traffic, etc.

You want to ride in flat assed rural Iowa, go for it. Tell your Bernie Sanders Urban and Suburban buddies to GTFO the roads during the week. There. I said it!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I've learned a lot from this thread and decided that I'm going to make an effort to be more courteous to bicyclists with whom I share our roadways.

From here on out I'm going to switch to drinking beer from cans instead of bottles, even though I prefer bottles. That way it won't hurt so much when I toss my empties at them when I go by.

I feel the weight of the world lifted off my shoulders! I feel enlightened and empowered at the same time. I may go vote for Hillary to celebrate my newfound inclusiveness! Ok, maybe not Hillary, but at the least I might think of voting for the pot smoking dude.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Paul,

If we hypothetically agree that YOU are not the problem, and that YOU are never the problem, will you admit that a considerable number of other bicyclists ARE a problem?

Can you possibly see that we are not all just making up these stories to torment you?

Just yesterday I saw an adult male run a red-light and almost get hit.It was due to inattention on his part apparently and it was a very close call. The alert driver slammed on his brakes and stopped inches from the startled biker.

The alert drivers in the two following vehicles also had to slam on their brakes and barely avoided rear-ending each other.

Even I got a jolt of adrenaline just seeing the incident up close, as I was first in line waiting at the cross-street for my light to turn green.

Fortunately the only result was a few black tire marks left in the intersection.

Paul, are you going to suggest that I didn't see what I saw? Or even suggest that this is the first time I have ever seen such a thing happen?

Bicycles on bike paths or good bike lanes, or well off on wide shoulders, as in your picture, are not a problem, usually.

Bikes carelessly or arrogantly mixing with automobile and truck traffic definitely are a problem. Why can't you understand that?

You absolutely have to see some of the same stuff we see. Do you wave down those bikers and counsel them?

That would be much more productive than trying to tell us that we don't know what we are talking about.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The law is what it is, Nifty. In Oregon a bike is a vehicle; further, you are required to give enough room when passing that if they crashed you'd still miss them (that's a relatively recent law).

Car drivers are in no physical danger from cyclists. Cyclists are in mortal danger from cars 24/7/365. Virtually all of the anti-bike angst expressed here and elsewhere has to do with "feelers" and the psychology of driving a car. Look that up. People's personalities change.

I ride rural roads and do my best to play fair. Nonetheless I've annoyed a few drivers. Funny, they never stop, even when I give them the bird right back with gusto. Any of you ever want to have a heart to heart with a cyclist, look me up. I'm the big guy in bright yellow west of Eugene. Given that most drivers are lardasses and I've got a pretty good pump on when riding, I'd be quite happy to have that little talk. wink

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nifty-two-fifty
Paul,

If we hypothetically agree that YOU are not the problem, and that YOU are never the problem, will you admit that a considerable number of other bicyclists ARE a problem?

Can you possibly see that we are not all just making up these stories to torment you?

Just yesterday I saw an adult male run a red-light and almost get hit.It was due to inattention on his part apparently and it was a very close call. The alert driver slammed on his brakes and stopped inches from the startled biker.

The alert drivers in the two following vehicles also had to slam on their brakes and barely avoided rear-ending each other.

Even I got a jolt of adrenaline just seeing the incident up close, as I was first in line waiting at the cross-street for my light to turn green.

Fortunately the only result was a few black tire marks left in the intersection.

Paul, are you going to suggest that I didn't see what I saw? Or even suggest that this is the first time I have ever seen such a thing happen?

Bicycles on bike paths or good bike lanes, or well off on wide shoulders, as in your picture, are not a problem, usually.

Bikes carelessly or arrogantly mixing with automobile and truck traffic definitely are a problem. Why can't you understand that?

You absolutely have to see some of the same stuff we see. Do you wave down those bikers and counsel them?

That would be much more productive than trying to tell us that we don't know what we are talking about.

I think it goes both ways, as in the video of the retard smoking out the cyclist above.

For every cyclist you see doing something stupid, I guarantee that a rider like Paul has seen an order of magnitude more from douchebag motorists.

I've certainly been on both sides. Being hit by drink bottles, cut off, swerved at, as a cyclist and riding in a car when my buddy driving tossed a full chew spitter out the window and hit a cyclist.

I'd of taken a shot at the prick if it was me on the bike.Lol.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
It occurs to me from my participation in a number of different forums that Americans love to express their rage for bicyclists on the road. I am a bicyclist. It's one of my many passions. So give me your best shot. In the end we may all learn something.

"Let Me Have It. I Am a Bicyclist"

I have nothing to say, your life sucks enough as it is.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nifty, that wasn't aimed at you, sorry about that.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Hypocrisy is an unattractive human trait.

Vegans think I am a barbarian.

Members of the Sawtooth Society have threatened to cut my tires at the trailhead because I hunt in their wilderness.

Outfitters have cursed me because I exited the trail on the uphill side of their packstring .

"hunters on ATVs have ruined day long stalks.

fudds call me tacticool because I shoot an AR.

I am glad I have my Constitutional right to denigrate anyone who fails to agree w/ me on the internet.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm cool with cyclists. I ride a bit myself.

That said, each time I see a "cyclists have rights" bumper sticker I have to chuckle;

The next cyclist I see stop for a stop sign will be the first.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KentuckyMountainMan
I would bet most of the spandex wearing Bicyclist also wear there wife's panties when shes not Home...... grin

their

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nifty-two-fifty
Paul,

I have never seen problems of the scale described here. I don't doubt that there are problems. I know for a fact (from my participation on a bike forum) that there are inconsiderate bicyclists. I wasn't kidding when I said earlier that I have never been held up by a bicyclists for more than a minute. I drive a LOT. I get held up by idiot inconsiderate motorists more than that every day. To be fair though, I live in a flat area with straight roads, so that explains some of it. I have vacationed in NM and CO 7 of the past 10 years. I encounter a lot of bicyclists out there. Never have had a problem. I guess my own experiences unfairly shape my perception of the problem.

I always ask folks to tell me about the time they were most inconvenienced by a bicyclist. Most folks have never really been held up by a bicyclist. Every driver I have ever talked to has been held up by one idiot motorist in a single incident more than they have been held up by all bicyclists over the whole of their lives. I got stuck on a bridge for 3.5 hours as crews cleaned up the mess from a texting driver crash. I mention that just to put bicyclist inconvenience in perspective.

That rider you saw that was inattentive and rolled through the red was just that. Inattentive. As vulnerable as bicyclists are, you don't stay healthy long riding around with your head up your butt. Multiple times every day I encounter inattentive motorists. People by their nature will be inattentive sometimes.

Part of my skepticism relative to the claims people make stems from this. I have seen a lot of videos of bicyclists taken by indignant motorists. Much of the time I see those videos, I wouldn't have an issue negotiating the riders. It's instances like the video posted in this thread where the douchnozzle was rolling coal on bicyclists who were on or to the right of the fog line. I have seen people complain about that kind of bike traffic. On another forum someone posted a video of bicyclists rolling through a stop sign. Only one of 20 or so came to a full stop. During the time the video was rolling not a single car came to a full stop. That's perspective.

Yes there are problem riders. Yes there a problem riders who cause traffic problems. No I have never encountered a single one. Yes I have seen people exaggerate what they perceive as bicycle problems.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JSTUART

"Let Me Have It. I Am a Bicyclist"

I have nothing to say, your life sucks enough as it is.

That right there was funny, I don't care who you are.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My bike has 4 wheels, front and rear racks 750cc,and bungee cords holding a case of beer.....and I wear a pair of sweats and a pocket tee wit mybeat up tennie' runners [Linked Image]cool grin

Last edited by atvalaska; 09/30/16.

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Originally Posted by viking
Well for starters, they should have to be inspected, carry insurance, have a license plate visible just like a car or motorcycle being they want the equal rights and privileges to hog the road.

They should be ticketed for impeding traffic on roads with no shoulder and a double yellow line.

Most are gay like, they seldom obey traffic laws, in general they are a scourge to the safety of the motoring public.
To say they seldom obey traffic laws is being way too generous. They have a total disdain for traffic lights, stop signs, and even which side of the road they should be on. Turn signals are a mystery to them too, but then again, they are a mystery to most car drivers too.

With all that lawlessness and reckless abandon, you'd think that bicycling deaths would be more common than they are. As it stands the numbers aren't much higher than accidental gun deaths. I suspect that the riders are more in tune to their surroundings than many realize. Do you unfailingly obey every traffic law?
Calling BS on this one. When's the last time you saw a bike actually stop for a stop sign, or even pause before pullling out onto a street. They don't do it.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hatari

Paul,

If you love it, good for you. Some of your colleagues are brain dead and around here a few have left this world as road kill. My wife is a Triathlete. She doesn't train on public roads. Here it is hilly, too many blind curves, and traffic goes from light at midday to bumper to bumper at Rushhour.

Speaking of Rush hour around here in Suburbia, Every Tuesday we have a group of 20-30 that insist on riding as people make there way home. They ride on hilly roads with double yellow "do not pass' the whole way. They string cars back 3/4 of a mile or more. Going up hill, this peloton will slow to 10 mph as these recreation cyclists huff and puff.

They tell me they have the same right to the road as cars. I disagree. I use my car for transportation, they are cycling for recreation. I can't play golf down the middle of a road.

Further along with that thought is cyclists must follow the same rules as motorists. Yeah, right!!! They blow through stop signs, pass on the right, weave in and out of stopped traffic, etc.

You want to ride in flat assed rural Iowa, go for it. Tell your Bernie Sanders Urban and Suburban buddies to GTFO the roads during the week. There. I said it!

I have a good bud who is an APD detective. I was driving around with him a few years back and saw one of those groups during the tail end of rush hour traffic right in the middle of downtown ATL. I wouldn't have anything to do with that schidt. I'd rather slam my junk in the sliding glass door than to be a part of that. Oddly though, they didn't have traffic backed up behind them. Maybe at a point bikes are faster in congested areas.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by viking
Well for starters, they should have to be inspected, carry insurance, have a license plate visible just like a car or motorcycle being they want the equal rights and privileges to hog the road.

They should be ticketed for impeding traffic on roads with no shoulder and a double yellow line.

Most are gay like, they seldom obey traffic laws, in general they are a scourge to the safety of the motoring public.
To say they seldom obey traffic laws is being way too generous. They have a total disdain for traffic lights, stop signs, and even which side of the road they should be on. Turn signals are a mystery to them too, but then again, they are a mystery to most car drivers too.

With all that lawlessness and reckless abandon, you'd think that bicycling deaths would be more common than they are. As it stands the numbers aren't much higher than accidental gun deaths. I suspect that the riders are more in tune to their surroundings than many realize. Do you unfailingly obey every traffic law?
Calling BS on this one. When's the last time you saw a bike actually stop for a stop sign, or even pause before pullling out onto a street. They don't do it.

I think you misunderstood my post. Yes they break the law, but probably not without exercising a degree of care in doing so. Do you come to a full stop at every stop sign? Signal every turn and lane change? Never go over the speed limit?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As a Bicyclist, do you catch a lot of discrimination from Cyclists? At what age did you officially come out.?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
As a Bicyclist, do you catch a lot of discrimination from Cyclists? At what age did you officially come out.?

Is that really the best you can do?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I have never seen problems of the scale described here.

If you haven't seen the problem, then you can't see the Forest for the trees.

All you have to do is go on Youtube and search "Hate Cyclist" and you'll see why people despise you and your ilk.

The fact that you've got basically 30+ pages of people that hate cyclists guts ought to tell you something.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

[Linked Image]

The only thing that could make this picture more gay, is an AIDS ribbon.

Maybe a dilldo.

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 19 of 43 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 42 43

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1936M71, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 48 invisible), 2,286 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,035
Posts18,500,691
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.