Hop To
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Bob,

I posted early on in this thread that "I've owned two .280 AI's and fooled around extensively with another. It's a great cartridge, in fact it's just as good as the .270 Winchester and .30-06 Springfield." But apparently the Tongue-In-Cheek Font didn't work that day....

John I knew what you were saying.... smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
HR IC

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, I know you did. Others, not so much.... :-)

However, being a rifle loony means I own rifles in all three chamberings. Luckily (or maybe not) they're three very different rifles, which is more important than any difference in the cartridges.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I have tried to buy one several times......but I have had it surrounded for 30+ years . grin

I sometimes wonder how some guys come to such absolute conclusions about one cartridge in such a crowded field....curious.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's yuge....every one else is loooser....

Ya fired!

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I sometimes wonder how some guys come to such absolute conclusions about one cartridge in such a crowded field....curious.

It's easy to paint things in black and white when you're not hampered by knowing WTF you are talking about. smile

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You know what would be completely kick-ass?
If you could buy a rifle that would shoot the standard .280 rem, which is great, as well as the .280Ackley, which is great +P?

RBO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RBO
The 280ai is quite possibly the ultimate North American hunting cartridge. From the plains to the mountain range, and from western blacktails to the speed goats of the prairies, the northern whitetails, Utah bull elk, right up to the Alaskan moose, it is at home. It might not be a first choice for a 1000yd gong shooter, but as a practical hunting cartridge I can't think of a better all round cartridge. There are a few that would fit the bill, but when you average the trajectory, with the kinetic energy, felt recoil, bc and bullet selection, if you reload there isn't a better cartridge. If there is id love to hear what it is?

LMAO..... smile

Gimme a break.... crazy

Well bob, when you're done laughing clean the beer off your belly and tell me what is a better cartridge.

A 30-06? I've got one of those that collects dust in the locker. 300mag variety? Had about a half dozen of those filter through. 7mm-08 or 308? They'd do ok if you're shots were <300yds. Powder burners and pop guns.

I posted my opinion in a way to rile people up enough to hopefully come up with an informative response, and perhaps even suggest a more well rounded cartridge for North American game. I also knew it get a lot of responses from people who don't like the 280ai but couldn't come up with a better cartridge.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like the ai. I like a lot of cartridges. Liking something a lot does not make it exclusive and paramount.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by RBO
Originally Posted by RBO
The 280ai is quite possibly the ultimate North American hunting cartridge. From the plains to the mountain range, and from western blacktails to the speed goats of the prairies, the northern whitetails, Utah bull elk, right up to the Alaskan moose, it is at home. It might not be a first choice for a 1000yd gong shooter, but as a practical hunting cartridge I can't think of a better all round cartridge. There are a few that would fit the bill, but when you average the trajectory, with the kinetic energy, felt recoil, bc and bullet selection, if you reload there isn't a better cartridge. If there is id love to hear what it is?

LMAO..... smile

Gimme a break.... crazy

Well bob, when you're done laughing clean the beer off your belly and tell me what is a better cartridge.

A 30-06? I've got one of those that collects dust in the locker. 300mag variety? Had about a half dozen of those filter through. 7mm-08 or 308? They'd do ok if you're shots were <300yds. Powder burners and pop guns.

I posted my opinion in a way to rile people up enough to hopefully come up with an informative response, and perhaps even suggest a more well rounded cartridge for North American game. I also knew it get a lot of responses from people who don't like the 280ai but couldn't come up with a better cartridge.
.30/06.

Just cause you have one in your gunsafe that collects dust does not mean it's not a better cartridge.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How much better is better?

IC B3

RBO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CCCC
I like the ai. I like a lot of cartridges. Liking something a lot does not make it exclusive and paramount.

For the record, I don't think the 280ai is exclusive or paramount, nor do I think that there are dozens of cartridges that would do the job. What I'm suggesting is that when you look at the little, mostly inconsequential aspects it edges slightly ahead of most other cartridges, admittedly most advantages are so slight they would not make a difference in the real world, but they still are advantages.

RBO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Originally Posted by RBO
Originally Posted by RBO

LMAO..... smile

Gimme a break.... crazy

.30/06.

Just cause you have one in your gunsafe that collects dust does not mean it's not a better cartridge.

No, being left in the gun safe doesn't make it less of a cartridge, its ballistics does though. The 30-06 is a nice meat and potatoes gun, but there isn't a single situation I would take it over a 280ai if they were both in the same make of rifle. Like I said, I know the 280ai won't do anything a 270 or 30-06 can't do, I just think it does it a little better. Shoots flat like a 270 and hits hard like a 30-06, and for that reason I think it's better. If I didn't reload I would probably opt for a different cartridge, that's the only downfall the 280ai has imo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So 160 NAB in a 280AI smokes a 140 NAB in a 270 by 1" of drop, 1" of drift, 53 FPS and 278 FPE at the 500 yard line.

That's smoking....

RBO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 16bore
So 160 NAB in a 280AI smokes a 140 NAB in a 270 by 1" of drop, 1" of drift, 53 FPS and 278 FPE at the 500 yard line.

That's smoking....

Yup, smokes it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good news is we can share DOPE cards...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 280 ai is an odd version of a round that never was popular, the 280 rem.

For certain I would never waste effort to 'build' one.

Good popular cartridges that overlap what the 280 ai is supposed to do are the 270 Win and the 7mm RM.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RBO

RBO: How would you expect anyone to respond to this?

Your post sounds like the add copy for some new Nosler cartridge in the back pages of Petersens' Hunting......You can't really expect me t take any of what you wrote seriously can you? confused

If you want a (partial) list of cartridges that will and have accomplished all the same things that you say the 280AI is suited for we can think about the 270, 7x57, 280, 284, 7SAUM,7mm WSM, 270 Weatherby,7mm Weatherby, 7mm Rem Mag , 7x61 S&H,7mm Dakota,28 Nosler, 30/06, 300 WSM, 300 H&H, 300 Win Mag, 300 Weatherby,30 Nosler, etc etc.

I'd toss in the 338's. They can do the same things but I always regarded them as specialized sluggers in a different category.

I didn't include the 6.5's because the list would start to get ridiculous and you have to draw the line somewhere but obviously many of them are capable of taking exactly the same game you mentioned and at the same distances as well. An old now deceased acquaintance of mine killed a couple of grand slams and all the African plains game with a 264 Win Mag....so....... whistle

If you want to talk about wildcats the list gets longer and the low pressure fire form loads for my 7mm Mashburn with 140 gr bullets easily equals the performance of the 280, and at less pressure,...... while leaving the 280 AI completely in the dust with anything from 140 to 180 gr bullets with full house Mashburn loads. That's from rifles with the same action length and a 24" barrel weighing 8 pounds and under. The 7mm Weatherby, 7 Rem Mag and STW will do the same things.

Some of these cartridges are a bit slower in velocity than a 280 AI, some are a bit faster with the same or heavier bullets and have the case capacity to meet or exceed 280AI velocities very easily....and with heavier bullets to boot, but all kill the same animals in much the same fashion if you pick a good bullet and place it right.

So...in all those categories you mentioned, I could just as easily apply a 30/06, 7 Rem Mag, 300 Winchester mag,270, 280, 7mm Mashburn or Weatherby..... or any of the others mentioned above and stack animals on top of one another from one end of the continent to the other. I could do the same thing with a 280 AI but there isn't anything particularly distinguishing about it except in the bowels of the imaginations of fans like you.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by RBO

I have 280AI and it's everything you say it is but I also shoot 30-06 and 270 one has Bartlein barrel other Lilja and I also hunt with them.

There has to be a place for everything.

USMC
Life Member VFW
RBO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RBO

RBO: How would you expect anyone to respond to this?

Your post sounds like the add copy for some new Nosler cartridge in the back pages of Petersens' Hunting......You can't really expect me t take any of what you wrote seriously can you? confused

If you want a (partial) list of cartridges that will and have accomplished all the same things that you say the 280AI is suited for we can think about the 270, 7x57, 280, 284, 7SAUM,7mm WSM, 270 Weatherby,7mm Weatherby, 7mm Rem Mag , 7x61 S&H,7mm Dakota,28 Nosler, 30/06, 300 WSM, 300 H&H, 300 Win Mag, 300 Weatherby,30 Nosler, etc etc.

I'd toss in the 338's. They can do the same things but I always regarded them as specialized sluggers in a different category.

I didn't include the 6.5's because the list would start to get ridiculous and you have to draw the line somewhere but obviously many of them are capable of taking exactly the same game you mentioned and at the same distances as well. An old now deceased acquaintance of mine killed a couple of grand slams and all the African plains game with a 264 Win Mag....so....... whistle

If you want to talk about wildcats the list gets longer and the low pressure fire form loads for my 7mm Mashburn with 140 gr bullets easily equals the performance of the 280, and at less pressure,...... while leaving the 280 AI completely in the dust with anything from 140 to 180 gr bullets with full house Mashburn loads. That's from rifles with the same action length and a 24" barrel weighing 8 pounds and under. The 7mm Weatherby, 7 Rem Mag and STW will do the same things.

Some of these cartridges are a bit slower in velocity than a 280 AI, some are a bit faster with the same or heavier bullets and have the case capacity to meet or exceed 280AI velocities very easily....and with heavier bullets to boot, but all kill the same animals in much the same fashion if you pick a good bullet and place it right.

So...in all those categories you mentioned, I could just as easily apply a 30/06, 7 Rem Mag, 300 Winchester mag,270, 280, 7mm Mashburn or Weatherby..... or any of the others mentioned above and stack animals on top of one another from one end of the continent to the other. I could do the same thing with a 280 AI but there isn't anything particularly distinguishing about it except in the bowels of the imaginations of fans like you.

Magnums are powder burners that offer no advantage at 600yds or less which I would guess 95% of hunters never reach out to in the first place, plus with a magnum you get a magnum recoil which i would guess subconsciously causes a flinch in most hunters taking any hunting advantage that magnum rifle might of had and throws it out the window.

I never said the 280ai was the only rifle capable of being a killing machine out to 600yds, I said when you average all things it was the best in my opinion.

The 280ai is a wildcat that is starting to make mainstream with manufacturers mass producing them, and now Nosler is now making factory brass and ammo for them. You know why? Because they realize the efficiency of this cartridge.

What is a "better" all round cartridge and why? I don't want a generic list of all the cartridges in its class, give me a specific cartridge and the reason it's better. I think the 30-06 and the 270 are as close as you can come to being the perfect hunting rifle, with the 280rem taking the best of both worlds then PO Ackley came along and improved it, with even Parker admitting he thought the 280 was the most efficient of his creations.

Get upset with my post, call me a crazy fan boy, but at least back it up with some with some facts and reasons. Like I said, flat like a 270 and hits like a 30-06 with no magnum recoil and factory chamberings. I don't need to hear about the cartridges that can do it, I want to hear about the ones that can do it better, and why.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Quick trip through Midway....

48 flavors of 270, 46 of 7RM, 1 280AI

That's about all the "better" this fella needs because hand loading is boring as hell....

Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (160user, 12344mag, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 69 invisible), 2,686 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,481
Posts18,490,172
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.