Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Aught:

fwiw...have been loading and shooting 280AI for nigh unto three decades...like some others here. Both the 280 and 280AI are best utilized by handloaders.

Thinking 50fps is the average gain with the lighter bullets and a bit more with the heavier stuff. Comparisons to larger or smaller jugs are a waste of time, imho. As was said, the beauty of the 280AI, is getting the most FPS you can get out of its 06 parent case supported by excellent Nosler data, SAAMI chamber specs, and factory brass. 7mm BCs are also a plus.

The 06AI gains less fps, ime, as you are getting the same case capacity gain from firefoming in a larger bore. You gotta be a fan to form cases and comparisons to its parent are anecdotal--which is a nice way to say as likely to be imagined as not. Which pretty much goes for wildcats in general, lacking lab data.

Personally, I like the 280AI in a 700 TI action for a lightweight high country rifle which has served me more better than I deserve. Being a mauser slut, run the 280 in those, as the feeding is a touch smoother- rifles throated to maximize case capacity.

Defend the Constitution
HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
RBO,

I always enjoy it when "efficiency" is mentioned regarding hunting cartridges.

As a general ballistic rule, the smaller the cartridge for the caliber the more efficient it is--if we measure efficiency by the amount of energy produced by the amount of powder burned. This seems reasonable to some, though maybe not to others, but we're going to use it anyway.

Using powder/energy as the measuring stick, the .22 Short is probably the most efficient rifle cartridge in existence. That statement pokes some fun at the concept of "efficiency" as a measure of cartridge worth, but a more realistic comparison would be the 7mm-08 to the .280 AI. The 7mm-08 beats the .280 AI in efficiency in every way imaginable, including energy produced for grain of powder burned, downrange energy for grain or powder burned, and lack of recoil for grain of powder burned.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
RBO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 16bore
Quick trip through Midway....

48 flavors of 270, 46 of 7RM, 1 280AI

That's about all the "better" this fella needs because hand loading is boring as hell....

If you don't enjoy shooting as a hobby and just want a gun to kill stuff with, anything from a 243 to a 416 rigby would do the job, a 30-06 or 270 would most likely be the best bet. I think the OP is a bit more in tune with ballistic efficiency and willing to develop loads if he's inquiring about a 280ai. I have about 30lbs of powder and about the same weight in .284 bullets ranging from 120gr ttsx to 175gr deep curls, and about 200 Nosler brass to go with it. my 280ai variety rivals the 48 flavors of the 270, but I agree it's only because I enjoy shooting and hand loading.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Plus there's brass for the damn thing. These days that's my first consideration.

.284 is another...

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I prefer a minimum of 80% return on 20% effort. It's just that simple.

RBO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
RBO,

I always enjoy it when "efficiency" is mentioned regarding hunting cartridges.

As a general ballistic rule, the smaller the cartridge for the caliber the more efficient it is--if we measure efficiency by the amount of energy produced by the amount of powder burned. This seems reasonable to some, though maybe not to others, but we're going to use it anyway.

Using powder/energy as the measuring stick, the .22 Short is probably the most efficient rifle cartridge in existence. That statement pokes some fun at the concept of "efficiency" as a measure of cartridge worth, but a more realistic comparison would be the 7mm-08 to the .280 AI. The 7mm-08 beats the .280 AI in efficiency in every way imaginable, including energy produced for grain of powder burned, downrange energy for grain or powder burned, and lack of recoil for grain of powder burned.

I agree with you on that to a certain extent, and not to mention it has a short action which makes for a lighter platform. If the maximum range for an average hunter in North America was 300yds I would choose the 7mm-08 all day long, but I think 500yds is a more realistic maximum range for the average hunter, for deer might be ok but I wouldn't try it on a moose or elk at that range with a 7mm-08. I think once you get out past the 500yd range you get into someone who is not your average hunter anymore, that's territory I'm not talking about.

RBO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I prefer a minimum of 80% return on 20% effort. It's just that simple.

That's fine, I never claimed the 280ai was for the lazy hunter, I just said I think it's better than the 270 and 30-06, and even you said the 280ai smokes the 270win, with a chart to prove it smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lazy or smart enough to know diminishing returns when I see it. Like I said, it's a great unicorn rifle as long as you choose a quality bullet and a full case of pixie dust.

RBO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lazy or smart enough to know diminishing returns when I see it. Like I said, it's a great unicorn rifle as long as you choose a quality bullet and a full case of pixie dust.

I would say lazy because with little effort you won't find deminishing returns. I know you said it's a good unicorn gun, but I also know it's because it's better than your 270 and you have a hard time coming to terms with that. It's ok, your 270 is a very capable cartridge, with bullets available at every Walmart, which is all most guys are looking for.

Maybe that's your problem, you spend too much time worrying about unicorns and pixie dust, and not enough time behind the trigger developing loads.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never even seen me a reloading press. Fingers crossed that you're at least smart enough to be shooting something with a .625 BC.

RBO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Never even seen me a reloading press. Fingers crossed that you're at least smart enough to be shooting something with a .625 BC.

Why do you even own a press? Seems walmart would be a much easier option for you.

I hear they sell unicorns too.

Last edited by RBO; 10/10/16.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yup, I smell Gamekings.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RBO
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by RBO
The 280ai is quite possibly the ultimate North American hunting cartridge. From the plains to the mountain range, and from western blacktails to the speed goats of the prairies, the northern whitetails, Utah bull elk, right up to the Alaskan moose, it is at home. It might not be a first choice for a 1000yd gong shooter, but as a practical hunting cartridge I can't think of a better all round cartridge. There are a few that would fit the bill, but when you average the trajectory, with the kinetic energy, felt recoil, bc and bullet selection, if you reload there isn't a better cartridge. If there is id love to hear what it is?

RBO: How would you expect anyone to respond to this?

Your post sounds like the add copy for some new Nosler cartridge in the back pages of Petersens' Hunting......You can't really expect me t take any of what you wrote seriously can you? confused

If you want a (partial) list of cartridges that will and have accomplished all the same things that you say the 280AI is suited for we can think about the 270, 7x57, 280, 284, 7SAUM,7mm WSM, 270 Weatherby,7mm Weatherby, 7mm Rem Mag , 7x61 S&H,7mm Dakota,28 Nosler, 30/06, 300 WSM, 300 H&H, 300 Win Mag, 300 Weatherby,30 Nosler, etc etc.

I'd toss in the 338's. They can do the same things but I always regarded them as specialized sluggers in a different category.

I didn't include the 6.5's because the list would start to get ridiculous and you have to draw the line somewhere but obviously many of them are capable of taking exactly the same game you mentioned and at the same distances as well. An old now deceased acquaintance of mine killed a couple of grand slams and all the African plains game with a 264 Win Mag....so....... whistle

If you want to talk about wildcats the list gets longer and the low pressure fire form loads for my 7mm Mashburn with 140 gr bullets easily equals the performance of the 280, and at less pressure,...... while leaving the 280 AI completely in the dust with anything from 140 to 180 gr bullets with full house Mashburn loads. That's from rifles with the same action length and a 24" barrel weighing 8 pounds and under. The 7mm Weatherby, 7 Rem Mag and STW will do the same things.

Some of these cartridges are a bit slower in velocity than a 280 AI, some are a bit faster with the same or heavier bullets and have the case capacity to meet or exceed 280AI velocities very easily....and with heavier bullets to boot, but all kill the same animals in much the same fashion if you pick a good bullet and place it right.

So...in all those categories you mentioned, I could just as easily apply a 30/06, 7 Rem Mag, 300 Winchester mag,270, 280, 7mm Mashburn or Weatherby..... or any of the others mentioned above and stack animals on top of one another from one end of the continent to the other. I could do the same thing with a 280 AI but there isn't anything particularly distinguishing about it except in the bowels of the imaginations of fans like you.

Magnums are powder burners that offer no advantage at 600yds or less which I would guess 95% of hunters never reach out to in the first place, plus with a magnum you get a magnum recoil which i would guess subconsciously causes a flinch in most hunters taking any hunting advantage that magnum rifle might of had and throws it out the window.

I never said the 280ai was the only rifle capable of being a killing machine out to 600yds, I said when you average all things it was the best in my opinion.

The 280ai is a wildcat that is starting to make mainstream with manufacturers mass producing them, and now Nosler is now making factory brass and ammo for them. You know why? Because they realize the efficiency of this cartridge.

What is a "better" all round cartridge and why? I don't want a generic list of all the cartridges in its class, give me a specific cartridge and the reason it's better. I think the 30-06 and the 270 are as close as you can come to being the perfect hunting rifle, with the 280rem taking the best of both worlds then PO Ackley came along and improved it, with even Parker admitting he thought the 280 was the most efficient of his creations.

Get upset with my post, call me a crazy fan boy, but at least back it up with some with some facts and reasons. Like I said, flat like a 270 and hits like a 30-06 with no magnum recoil and factory chamberings. I don't need to hear about the cartridges that can do it, I want to hear about the ones that can do it better, and why.

I would agree with Bob's post, as well as some of yours. But if you really want to get into it, when push comes to shove an argument can be made that the 7SAUM offers identical ballistic performance to the .280AI, being within less than 1gr of usable powder capacity, but can be had in shorter action lengths, lighter rifles (or equal-weight rifles with less action/stock weight and more barrel weight, contributing to a rifle package that settles easier in field positions), less chance of short stroking the action, etc. Of course this is meaningless in real-world application, but if we're cussing and discussing the theoretical minutia, the 7SAUM is "better" when looking at the sum total of how each chambering scores in all the categories you list. There are other cartridges that score as well or better than the .280AI when looking at the "sum total"- the 7SAUM is just one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RBO
I agree with you on that to a certain extent, and not to mention it has a short action which makes for a lighter platform. If the maximum range for an average hunter in North America was 300yds I would choose the 7mm-08 all day long, but I think 500yds is a more realistic maximum range for the average hunter, for deer might be ok but I wouldn't try it on a moose or elk at that range with a 7mm-08. I think once you get out past the 500yd range you get into someone who is not your average hunter anymore, that's territory I'm not talking about.

Good to know that you're assuming it doesn't work, with zero experience to back it up.

What is the deciding factor when figuring out the cutoff range? How do you know when a shot is beyond the capable distance of the chambering/load? What load are you using in your .280AI? Thanks.

RBO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by RBO
Originally Posted by RBO
The 280ai is quite possibly the ultimate North American hunting cartridge. From the plains to the mountain range, and from western blacktails to the speed goats of the prairies, the northern whitetails, Utah bull elk, right up to the Alaskan moose, it is at home. It might not be a first choice for a 1000yd gong shooter, but as a practical hunting cartridge I can't think of a better all round cartridge. There are a few that would fit the bill, but when you average the trajectory, with the kinetic energy, felt recoil, bc and bullet selection, if you reload there isn't a better cartridge. If there is id love to hear what it is?

Your post sounds like the add copy for some new Nosler cartridge in the back pages of Petersens' Hunting......You can't really expect me t take any of what you wrote seriously can you? confused

If you want a (partial) list of cartridges that will and have accomplished all the same things that you say the 280AI is suited for we can think about the 270, 7x57, 280, 284, 7SAUM,7mm WSM, 270 Weatherby,7mm Weatherby, 7mm Rem Mag , 7x61 S&H,7mm Dakota,28 Nosler, 30/06, 300 WSM, 300 H&H, 300 Win Mag, 300 Weatherby,30 Nosler, etc etc.

I'd toss in the 338's. They can do the same things but I always regarded them as specialized sluggers in a different category.

I didn't include the 6.5's because the list would start to get ridiculous and you have to draw the line somewhere but obviously many of them are capable of taking exactly the same game you mentioned and at the same distances as well. An old now deceased acquaintance of mine killed a couple of grand slams and all the African plains game with a 264 Win Mag....so....... whistle

If you want to talk about wildcats the list gets longer and the low pressure fire form loads for my 7mm Mashburn with 140 gr bullets easily equals the performance of the 280, and at less pressure,...... while leaving the 280 AI completely in the dust with anything from 140 to 180 gr bullets with full house Mashburn loads. That's from rifles with the same action length and a 24" barrel weighing 8 pounds and under. The 7mm Weatherby, 7 Rem Mag and STW will do the same things.

Some of these cartridges are a bit slower in velocity than a 280 AI, some are a bit faster with the same or heavier bullets and have the case capacity to meet or exceed 280AI velocities very easily....and with heavier bullets to boot, but all kill the same animals in much the same fashion if you pick a good bullet and place it right.

So...in all those categories you mentioned, I could just as easily apply a 30/06, 7 Rem Mag, 300 Winchester mag,270, 280, 7mm Mashburn or Weatherby..... or any of the others mentioned above and stack animals on top of one another from one end of the continent to the other. I could do the same thing with a 280 AI but there isn't anything particularly distinguishing about it except in the bowels of the imaginations of fans like you.

Magnums are powder burners that offer no advantage at 600yds or less which I would guess 95% of hunters never reach out to in the first place, plus with a magnum you get a magnum recoil which i would guess subconsciously causes a flinch in most hunters taking any hunting advantage that magnum rifle might of had and throws it out the window.

I never said the 280ai was the only rifle capable of being a killing machine out to 600yds, I said when you average all things it was the best in my opinion.

The 280ai is a wildcat that is starting to make mainstream with manufacturers mass producing them, and now Nosler is now making factory brass and ammo for them. You know why? Because they realize the efficiency of this cartridge.

What is a "better" all round cartridge and why? I don't want a generic list of all the cartridges in its class, give me a specific cartridge and the reason it's better. I think the 30-06 and the 270 are as close as you can come to being the perfect hunting rifle, with the 280rem taking the best of both worlds then PO Ackley came along and improved it, with even Parker admitting he thought the 280 was the most efficient of his creations.

Get upset with my post, call me a crazy fan boy, but at least back it up with some with some facts and reasons. Like I said, flat like a 270 and hits like a 30-06 with no magnum recoil and factory chamberings. I don't need to hear about the cartridges that can do it, I want to hear about the ones that can do it better, and why.

I would agree with Bob's post, as well as some of yours. But if you really want to get into it, when push comes to shove an argument can be made that the 7SAUM offers identical ballistic performance to the .280AI, being within less than 1gr of usable powder capacity, but can be had in shorter action lengths, lighter rifles (or equal-weight rifles with less action/stock weight and more barrel weight, contributing to a rifle package that settles easier in field positions), less chance of short stroking the action, etc. Of course this is meaningless in real-world application, but if we're cussing and discussing the theoretical minutia, the 7SAUM is "better" when looking at the sum total of how each chambering scores in all the categories you list. There are other cartridges that score as well or better than the .280AI when looking at the "sum total"- the 7SAUM is just one.

Thanks for the input, it's exactly the type of response I was hoping to hear. The 7saum is a very comparable option to the 280ai imo, and the short action is a plus too I imagine. The only argument I would give to the AI would be magazine capacity over a magnum caliber.

Short action vs magazine capacity. If you only need to take one shot, neither matters lol.

Last edited by RBO; 10/10/16.
RBO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RBO

Good to know that you're assuming it doesn't work, with zero experience to back it up.

What is the deciding factor when figuring out the cutoff range? How do you know when a shot is beyond the capable distance of the chambering/load? What load are you using in your .280AI? Thanks.

I own a 7mm-08, I've also killed deer, moose and elk out past 500yds with my 280rem and 280ai and have recovered bullets from the animals, I have seen the lack of expansion from a ttsx at long range out of the 280 and I know that it would be worse out of my 7mm-08.

Your assumption I have zero first hand experience with these cartridges is just that, an assumption, and false at that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I love these threads smile

Same folks, same arguments, same old bullschit.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I love these threads smile

Same folks, same arguments, same old bullschit.

[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by RBO
Originally Posted by RBO

I'm not smart enough to figure out which is "best" but I do have a couple .280 AIs and a SAUM.

For me, the cases are right in the sweet spot in terms of horsepower vs. recoil, as are 7 mm bullets.

And Frankly Scarlett, I don't give a damn what the rest of you guys shoot.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 45 invisible), 2,219 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,641
Posts18,493,248
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.