Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I have never spent much money on my optics but I am looking to slowly correct that. I mostly deer hunt the woods of Oklahoma so being able to see far has not been much of an issue to date. However, I am wanting to start doing some hunts out west (NM, CO, etc.) with my dad and kids in the coming years so I want to start getting gear that is more versatile. My current binos are Leupold BX-1 6x30 which is the best glass I have ever had therefore the best that I know. I would like to get a pair of versatile 8x42's that I can use here in OK or spotting and stalking out west. I am trying to stay around the $500 mark and I settled in on the 8x42's after having done some research and again the fact that I want them to be versatile. What I am not sure about is the best value out of the group listed below. I am also open to other suggestions in my price range. Thank you all in advance.

Leupold BX-3 Mohave Pro Guide HD: $479

Leupold BX-3 Mohave: $265

Vortex Viper HD: $570

Vortex Talon HD: $400

Steiner Predator: $350

Nikon Monarch 7: $420

Or am I better off stepping up to the Zeiss Conquest HD for $900?

Last edited by SoonerWing; 10/13/16.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have both Vortex models you list and they are very similar in glass quality and function. Virtually everyone prefers the ergos of the Viper. The main differences are the Talon is the top Chinese glass and a double bridge while the Viper is Japanese made and single bridge.

I am not a fan of the feel of double-bridge bins and would check the feel of the Leupolds before going there. They are doubles.

I really dislike the Steiner Predator eyecups...

The Monarch has a limited warranty and the Vortex is unconditional and lifetime...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As to the Zeiss Conquest... I have been a Zeiss slut for 35 years and still have my old ClassiC 10x42... I do not like the feel of the Conquests at all.

If you can find older Leica Trinovids for about 800 it is worth it!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I found out a long time ago to buy once / cry once.

Europtics has the 2012-2015 year model Leica Trinovid discounted to $879 for the 8x42 (list price $1599) and $899 for the 10x42 (list price $1649).

You wont find a better binocular at this price.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by SoonerWing
I have never spent much money on my optics but I am looking to slowly correct that. I mostly deer hunt the woods of Oklahoma so being able to see far has not been much of an issue to date. However, I am wanting to start doing some hunts out west (NM, CO, etc.) with my dad and kids in the coming years so I want to start getting gear that is more versatile. My current binos are Leupold BX-1 6x30 which is the best glass I have ever had therefore the best that I know. I would like to get a pair of versatile 8x42's that I can use here in OK or spotting and stalking out west. I am trying to stay around the $500 mark and I settled in on the 8x42's after having done some research and again the fact that I want them to be versatile. What I am not sure about is the best value out of the group listed below. I am also open to other suggestions in my price range. Thank you all in advance.

Leupold BX-3 Mohave Pro Guide HD: $479

Leupold BX-3 Mohave: $265

Vortex Viper HD: $570

Vortex Talon HD: $400

Steiner Predator: $350

Nikon Monarch 7: $420

Or am I better off stepping up to the Zeiss Conquest HD for $900?

I have owned the Zeiss Conquest HD, while you can look for a new pair of Leica TRinovid 8x42 model number 40008...these are the pair the socalled new HD's were to replace. Fantastic Glass and in the mid 800 range if you find them.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I'll throw our hat into the ring for the 8x42 Toric or 8x42 Tekoa .

There have been a few members here whom have purchased the Toric and written reviews on here and some other forums.

In a nutshell, we're a direct to consumer company, so no additional added margins on the product.

For the Toric, at $650, your getting quality that is just as good as some of the $1000-$1200 models out there...and in many cases, rivaling some of the $1500+ Binos. But by all means, check out some of the reviews here and on Bird forum.

The Tekoa is at about a $450 retail. While the Toric reign supreme and has better light transmission and resolution, the Tekoa is knocking at its door. It has a lighter weight polycarbonate body while the Toric has a magnesium allow body, among a few other differences.

As I have said with the Toric, with the Tekoa at a $450 retail, youre getting a Bino that can hold its own against the Conquest in some fields, but beat out many others at that $700-$800 mark.

Just to drop a hint....while we had the Toric promotion a few weeks back...we will be having a Tekoa promotion coming up in a few weeks as well. Chance to get that 4450 down to even a lower price.

Trevor
Tract Optics
www.TractOptics.com

Use discount code: 24HOUR5 for 5% off your order!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Viper HD's are the best deal.

Conquest HD's are better than Trinovids.

Leica hasn't done much beyond put lipstick on their binoculars the last 10years or so.

David

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I would keep an eye on ebay as well, I have found a couple of great deals on there the past couple of months. I bought a pair of Swarovski 10x42 SLC this week for $525.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

The problem with Leica is their TERRIBLE warranty service.

Don't get me wrong, the 8x32 ultravids are the best current 32mm binos I've looked through, including the Victorys and ELs, but given the experiences of my hunting buddies, and what has been reported on the places like the 'fire, I be leery of Leica..........

Nikon is now advertising a "No Fault Warranty", but the paperwork in the package seems to suggest different. In the past Nikon's warranty service has been hit and miss.

When it comes to optics, I've learned the value of manufacturers who stand behind their products.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
After having used mine in Namibia, and scouting around our mule deere and whitetail places, the Toric is a no brainer. I can say this even after direct comparison with my SLC HD, Meopta HD, and Conquest HD, and the SLCneu, Swaro SLC 8x30 Wb, and ConquestHD the outfitter in Namibia had in camp.

The toric is fantastic, and better than anything under $2k IMO.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

The Toric is a 42mm ?

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
8x42 is the one I have.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Canazes9

Leica hasn't done much beyond put lipstick on their binoculars the last 10years or so.

David

I have Razor HD's that are one year old, I had Conquests both the regular and HD, do not even begin to compare the glass quality.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sooner:

I will give you my opinion, as I own some of those
that have been mentioned.

If it is in your budget the Zeiss Conquest HD is very good
and one of the best in the mid-range.

The Nikon Monarch 7 is also very good for its price and
you will also do well here.

The Leica Trinovid 8x42 is also very good, but the Conquest HD is better and brighter.

Good luck with your optics search.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
find a used set of leupold gold rings.....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

David

I have Razor HD's that are one year old, I had Conquests both the regular and HD, do not even begin to compare the glass quality.

I gave my son the Razor HDs for Christmas last year... they are extremely good glass and I agree the Conquest is not close. But that is also a $1500 bin at full retail. I just found a used example on Amazon for $400! In "like new" condition and Vortex warranties them on top of that.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

David

I gave my son the Razor HDs for Christmas last year... they are extremely good glass and I agree the Conquest is not close. But that is also a $1500 bin at full retail. I just found a used example on Amazon for $400! In "like new" condition and Vortex warranties them on top of that.

Yeah I gave my son my Razor HD 10x50's as well

Let me clarify

I paid less then 1k for my Rzors new on a special and the conquests IDGAS which one is not in the same league as the Razors and the Razors cannot compare to my Leica Trinovids.

I have purchased 8 pairs of binoculars in the last 4 years trying to find the optimum bino, none of the stores around me sell really good Alpha glass. I don't like them I sell them and try another pair.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

David

Yeah I gave my son my Razor HD 10x50's as well

Let me clarify

I paid less then 1k for my Rzors new on a special and the conquests IDGAS which one is not in the same league as the Razors and the Razors cannot compare to my Leica Trinovids.

I have purchased 8 pairs of binoculars in the last 4 years trying to find the optimum bino, none of the stores around me sell really good Alpha glass. I don't like them I sell them and try another pair.

I suppose we all see things differently. Vortex has never been in my radar, with all of the other great choices.

I own the best from Swarovski and Zeiss, Swarovision and SF.

The Zeiss Conquest HD, can be a one and done. The 10x42
is a great all around.

Save your cash and go there.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

65 members (Buckshot5, Big1bud, beefan, 300_savage, 6 invisible), 1,414 guests, and 814 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,592
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.