Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I am in the processes of acquiring gear for an Elk hunt that I am planning for my Father and I next year (our first Elk hunt and first ever hunt "out west"). With Black Friday just around the corner I am making a list of things to watch for. I will list the optics related gear that we currently have and look forward to hearing suggestions on what you think we should take a look at. We are planning to get OTC CO Rifle tags. Probably planning to hunt around the Durango/Pagosa Springs area just for proximity to OK although I am not married to that idea.

Rifles being used:
Dad: Remington 700 chambered in .270
Me: Wby Vanguard S2 chambered in .308

Scopes:
Dad: Just has a cheap bushnell 3x9 scope on his.
Me: It is currently wearing a Sightron SII 4.5-14X42. I also own a Sightron S1 3x9. I could put the 3x9 on my rifle since the 308 is not as efficient at longer ranges and put the SII on dad's???
Wouldn't mind getting some "better glass" if there was great value to be had on Black Friday. Reading some of the other posts it looks like maybe I should take a close look at the SWFA SS 6X. The Sightrons are the best glass I have ever owned so I don't know if I am missing anything. If the Sightrons are close enough I would rather use these funds on not optic related gear that we need.

Binos:
Dad: Cheap Walmart variety
Me: I just purchased the Tract Toric 8x32's so we should be set there. Unless we both need a good set of Binos.

Spotting Scope: We have nothing and so if it is a must have I am in the market.

Rangfinder: This is also on the list. I currently have a Simmons but it is slow and only good out to about 300 yards or so and doesnt account for elevation. I am looking for an excuse to hand this down to my son and get either the Sig Kilo or the Vortex Ranger

Last edited by SoonerWing; 11/08/16.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Where are you hunting? The terrain and vegetation are a big part of what would describe the ultimate elk hunting scope. In some areas it's a jungle and a bright scope with great eye relief and eye box characteristics (for quick mounting) will be ideal. In other areas the ability to stretch a shot out a ways is at a premium.

Speaking for myself, and keeping from recommending the really spendy stuff, the best elk scope I've used is a 3-9x40 Conquest. Great eye relief, very bright, very visible reticle, and mechanically stable "enough" to dial up a long-ish shot by most standards. They can be had in the low $300's still (they have been supplanted by a new model).

But your notion of a 6x SS is not a bad one, I suspect.

Showing up in good shape, with broken-in boots, and with outerwear you trust, and with a good GPS with maps loaded into it (could be as simple as your iPhone with MotionX) will pay great dividends, as elk reward those who get after it and put their bodies into places that the meek fear to tread, and/or in weather that keeps the meek in camp. smile

If this is on a ranch then forget the latter. Ask them what to bring.

(Can't help saying it: If you've got money to spend put a 2.5-10x42 NF NXS on it, and spend the requisite time and rounds spent at the range to be proficient out to 500 yards or so, and be ready for any shot that presents itself. )

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Upgrade your dads binos to Leupold Yosemites.

You'll be fine with the sightron scopes if they hold zero. I suspect you aren't going to be doing any dialing.

Invest in a midrange spotter and a rangefinder.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Taking everything at face value, it sounds like you are on a budget which is ok. If so I would suggest you completely forget about a spotting scope as you will not be counting the differences in inches of bone, get your choice of a good LRF, take your pop out and shoot a lot at various ranges using the scopes you have. Knowing your loads' trajectories out to three-four hundred yards is paramount. In your situation, if I was going to spring for something it would be another pair of the best bino's you can afford.

Aside from the private land in the that area, a lot of the public ground in the area you mention is high and rough so another priority would be good physical shape.

For starters.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Given what you have my first buy would be some good binos and a good rangefinder.
I would look at some 10X binos with at least mid level glass. Something like Nikon Monarchs on up. You don't need Euro glass but last time I hunted Colo (20 years ago) it was 4 point or better on bulls so you need something with good definition.
For a rangefinder ones with at least 800 yards and angle compensation would be a big plus.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
New set of binos for dad would be my top priority for optic improvement in your case.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
If you're on a real budget, give Dad your Sightron Si, buy him a 6x30 Yosemite bino (I have one and love it, even compared to more expensive binoculars) and forget the rangefinder. In a typical hunting situation, chances are you won't have time to put the rangefinder to good use.

As a bonus, I bought my Yosemites a couple of years ago on a Black Friday sale for around $60.

Set his scope on 6x and tell him to just leave it there. Sight it in at 6x (cheaper scopes sometimes shift zero when changing power), then at 100 yards check out the number of inches on your target between the crosshairs and the lower post of your plex reticle.

You can use this measurement to estimate yardage by comparing to the average distance of a bull elk from top of shoulder to bottom of chest behind the front leg: 22-24 inches for a young one, 28 inches for a really big one.

You can even use the top of the post as an aiming tool, but I doubt you'll need it. IMO most elk are taken within the point-blank range of a .270 (around 325 yards, depending on ammo choice and sight-in point).

Now go have fun!

Last edited by czech1022; 11/08/16.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
SoonerWing,

You don't need new scopes. Switching sounds like a good idea. Forget the spotting scope. Both should have binos. If he's very old 7X35 might be better than 8X. Last year, when I was 71, I could use the 8X. This year I'm just enough shakier that I switch to 7X35. Much better. I used the wire on my fence 130 yards away for the subject. I would get the Sig!

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
another vote for the sig. I have their small one and it works great. my only complaint is, it is only 4x. the 6x makes a difference.
I like having a nice scope.
Id look on here in classifieds for a lightly used 2.5-10 monarch for your dads 270.. I like it better then my friends viper and maybe a touch better (my eyes) than a VX2. seems some guy cant sell them so maybe you can find a deal.
Spotting scope, only if you plan on serious scouting sessions or hunting big country/canyons.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
At what range does the 308 lose efficiency compared to the 270?

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
In order of priority:

I'd put 6x36 Leupold's with dots on top of both rifles. Turrets are absolutely not needed for elk inside 500 yards, unless you just want a heavier, more complicated setup.

Get a rangefinder.

Get your dad a better set of binocs.

Finally:

You don't need a spotter for elk hunting.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
True story. I went on a caribou hunt in Quebec in '95 and in camp was a Canadian gent who spent the $3K on the hunt and had a nice $1K Weatherby rifle topped with a - - - Bushnell sportview <$100 scope. While going on a rough trip up river, the rifle bouncing around in the boat caused a lens in the scope to become dislodged. My recommendation is to first put a good scope on Dad's rifle. It's what you're aiming with for goodness sake. Next, get Dad a nice set of binoculars and I agree that Nikon Monarchs are a good benchmark for quality vs price. Unless very long distances are involved and spot and stalk is what you are anticipating, I would pass on the spotting scope if you are all on a budget. I don't have enough info on the cover or shooting distances you can expect, but I would use the Sightrons if close shots are not expected. Myself, I like good quality 2-7 scopes for the vast majority of big game hunting situations.

Last edited by cooper57m; 11/08/16.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Buy the best- Swarovski.
My friends brother was hunting in NM and the guide spotted a 6x6 in his bino's.
Charlie didn't see the elk in his scope.
Needless to say he didn't shoot at dusk.
The next year he had a "excellent scope".
Can't take a $400 scope on a $10,000 trip.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by cooper57m
True story. I went on a caribou hunt in Quebec in '95 and in camp was a Canadian gent who spent the $3K on the hunt and had a nice $1K Weatherby rifle topped with a - - - Bushnell sportview <$100 scope. While going on a rough trip up river, the rifle bouncing around in the boat caused a lens in the scope to become dislodged. My recommendation is to first put a good scope on Dad's rifle. It's what you're aiming with for goodness sake. Next, get Dad a nice set of binoculars and I agree that Nikon Monarchs are a good benchmark for quality vs price. Unless very long distances are involved and spot and stalk is what you are anticipating, I would pass on the spotting scope if you are all on a budget. I don't have enough info on the cover or shooting distances you can expect, but I would use the Sightrons if close shots are not expected. Myself, I like good quality 2-7 scopes for the vast majority of big game hunting situations.

I also agree with you and Dre on the monarch rifle scope. However, I'd go with a 2.5-10x42 for ultimate versatility.. wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by abbydog
Buy the best- Swarovski.
My friends brother was hunting in NM and the guide spotted a 6x6 in his bino's.
Charlie didn't see the elk in his scope.
Needless to say he didn't shoot at dusk.
The next year he had a "excellent scope".
Can't take a $400 scope on a $10,000 trip.

I am willing to bet a "C" note a Bushnell 4200 4-16X40 would be so close to the Swarovski you couldn't tell any difference in the field.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Forget the spotting scope and range finder.

Be able to hit at 400 yards consistently and you'll be good.

Invest in good bins and spend a little extra if you have to.
I prefer 10x.

Get rid of the cheap Bushnell scope.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SU35
Forget the range finder.

Be able to hit at 400 yards consistently and you'll be good.

Sorry, but I find these two statement to be a complete contradiction.

Almost no one I know can consistently judge range in field conditions (varying light and terrain) out to 400 yards. If someone will be shooting out to 400 yards (not 200) they should have a rangefinder and a way to compensate for range (dots or turrets). To me, a rangefinder is both a practical and an ethical purchase.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
You don't have to be sorry Brad.

No contradiction at all, or maybe I was just lucky to kill 30 some elk without using one.

If I am dialing then yes bring the rangefinder, but other than that I leave it home.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I gotta' say... A rangefinder is an absolutely non-negotiable piece of gear for me.

Tanner

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SU35
You don't have to be sorry Brad.

No contradiction at all, or maybe I was just lucky to kill 30 some elk without using one.

If I am dialing then yes bring the rangefinder, but other than that I leave it home.

You can reliably calculate range on game animals, no matter the light or terrain, out to 400 yards?

You're more than lucky, you're superhuman...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 66 invisible), 2,392 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,700
Posts18,494,248
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.