Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I've seen so many more coyotes this hunting season than ever before. I'm shooting them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I not only shoot all the coyotes I can, these dont get a free pass, either. Got this one this morning.

[Linked Image]

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Nice!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Alamosa
Thus far have given them a pass.
Not opposed to killing them but am waiting for a convincing explanation of the ecological benefits of doing so.

If there was such, I'd certainly consider it. I'm generally in favor a free market approach to wildlife management (let the ecosystem sort it out) and that generally means I'm not nearly as anti-predator as many guys. However, clearly many of the habitats that deer live in are hardly "free market" in the sense that they are coexisting closely with humans and all the mayhem we bring- from fences to agriculture to roads and so on.

In that case, where the human imprint is large, I'm open to the notion that humans might need to micromanage the predators.

Both my public-land big country hunts this fall featured coyotes singing. I would've loved to see the wild dogs. Didn't have any interest in shooting one.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
I can tell you guys one thing.

Eliminating the breeding pairs in an area in Jan. / Feb, has an impact on the number of yotes I see the next year.

But as John said - stop hunting them and the pour in fast.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pugs
I skip the Shovel and Shut up part. grin

[Linked Image]
Shoot shovel and shut up on the wolves up here in Minnysota. With the coyotes, it's just shoot and shoot some more.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If I can recall some of my game management classes, coyotes are adaptable to the quantity and quality of their prey species. They can increase litter sizes if the carry capacity of their territory dictates a healthy population. Like many predators, coyotes are very mobile and will search out higher density of prey species. Late winter die-offs of deer will send coyotes search for new territories. They also can supplement their diet with smaller prey such as rabbits and other small mammals.
Anecdotally, a dead 'yote on a fence post may allow you to feel good, its not all that important considering the big picture.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
knocked of two 'yote's today on one place I hunt at. It's at a chicken farm. The coyotes are encamped there in vast numbers to feed on the dead chickens that don't make it to the freezers (I haven't ask why they are doing this)farming is a tough business, so I'm trying to not be too critical about it.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Shot a coyote opening day on my elk hunt.
20 yards with a 7mm mag 168 vld

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Ive let them pass once or twice, and shot them others. Oddly enough, I saw one a few hundred yards away laying on top of a round hay bale. Didnt have a good shot, so let the coyote hang around. 30 minutes later, deer came into the field, saw the coyote, and diverted across the field in my direction. Simple shot at low yardage, and deer meet in the freezer. Was fortunate that time.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm a hunter in a deer-dense region along the Ohio River called the Trans-Bluegrass. It has a lot of cattle and a lot of coyote. Let me make the case for killing any coyote you see.

1) Coyote eat deer. They are especially good at taking fawns. The more coyotes you kill, the better chance the fawns have for survival.

2) Coyote eat cattle. That sounds like an outrageous claim, but around my neck of the woods, you have to be extremely careful about watching your cows in the spring. Coyotes will follow an expectant cow around, waiting for her to drop. As soon as the calf presents, they coyotes will be on it. The first time I nailed a coyote out deer hunting, I was a neighborhood hero.

3) Coyote eat turkeys. They destroy the nests, and they interfere with breeding. Most of our coyote kills have come from coyotes coming to turkey calls or making a run at our decoys.

4) I have not heard of coyotes actually attacking humans, but the ones in our neighborhood have started making runs at us. One neighbor reported a coyote clipping his legs as he was walking between two sheds in his yard. I've had them make close passes in the dark. My youngest son made the mistake of trying to come home through the woods after dark without a flashlight. Trust me, they are always looking for a way.

5) In 2005, the coyote population became dense enough for Parvo to set in and nearly wipe out the whole population in our area. The problem was they passed it to a lot of other animals as well. A lot of pets died as a result.

Starting two years ago, I issued a new standing order at camp: no one was to go beyond the curtilage without being properly armed. This necessitated going for our CCW's, because it quickly became clear that this was going to make trips into town a problem. We have had just too many close encounters at the farm and too many missed opportunities. I've also had two incidents where I caught coyotes stalking our dogs up close to the house.

When I'm out and about and not otherwise armed, I'm carrying a 357 Magnum in either a lever rifle or a revolver.

Warning: I have been warning folks for years that they should not think about shooting yotes in the dark. There are a lot of guys who get scared at coyotes making passes at them in the dark while they're going out to their stands. They start packing sidearms thinking they'll shoot the yotes if they get too close. Don't. You probably won't hit them, and you might hit another hunter. The better tactic when confronted is to make yourself big and scary and loud. I've had to do this a few times over the years, and it works. Instead of firing, point your flashlight at the noise and brandish your staff or rifle at them like a club. So far, that has worked much better for me.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I hunt on a narrow 400 ac tract in middle Georgia and we've had coyotes for about 20 years, with a noticeable decrease in our deer population. One of my club member's son learned to trap and spent January through June of 2014 trapping coyotes. In that time he trapped 24! He did a little bit of trapping in 2015 and got about 7 or 8. Since then, we have seen an increase of fawns and turkeys on our trail cameras.

The coyotes are still there, but not in the numbers that they once were. I'm convinced we're helping, but as others have said, we'll never get rid of all of them. All we can do is hope to help balance out.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Yes!!! Just this season, during Antelope season. Have before, during Antelope,Deer,Elk. It's my duty as a conservationist and a hunter. Shoot a wolf... x 1000 in importance!!!!! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Saw one Sunday. No chance for shot.

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 19rabbit52, 204guy, 2500HD, 222Sako, 59 invisible), 2,273 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,499
Posts18,509,181
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.