Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by saddlesore
No one has mentioned the wind.

...But it's a dry wind..

If I were in your shoes I'd jump on it ASAP. Like WYoColoCowboy said, It's WYOMING!

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Just move, and do it now!

It will take a year or two of adjustment. But then you will wonder how on earth you survived back east for so long. You will have nostalgia but little pain.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
As for the wind, when picking a house try to see it in the afternoon when winds are strongest. You may be lucky and find a house that is sheltered from the prevailing winds because of the surrounding landscape (but that would be a long shot).

Best of luck!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I made the move this year and quite enjoy it, still learning where to hunt and the laws, but otherwise....all is good. The wind is something to get used to but not bad! The weather has been mild and this will be my first winter here! Housing costs are the real shocker at least in my area and I noticed food is a little more expensive but not crazy. Otherwise that is my only small complaint!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Bob,

In addition to the hunting in that region, you are very close to SD, ND and MT for great upland bird hunting and waterfowl. I am sure there are parts of Wyoming that are great for upland and waterfowl as well, I am just not aware of them.

Best of luck in your decision.
Dan

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm in Utah and have been for over 30 years now. All I can do is echo what others have said: it's a golden opportunity not to be skipped.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by saddlesore
No one has mentioned the wind.

Not much wind up in Sheridan. It is not Laramie, Rawlins or Cheyenne or Cheyenne. About half the speed of the places that really have wind.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I have hunted the beautiful Bighorns and traveled the area. I cannot tell you much specifically about the towns but I love the area. It's an area I've always thought of as a great place to live.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you're a "townie" they have some of the neatest old houses in the hills above.

edit: in Sheridan, that is.

Last edited by Spud; 11/10/16.

Hang on to your memories; they're better than the real thing ever was - Joe Sherlock

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I know that I really like Sheridan, when I went through there. Good move. Don't kid yourself, there is good duck hunting in Wyoming.

Last edited by sbhooper; 11/10/16.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
IC B3

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Weather is COLD, hunting is GREAT.

My brother-in-law moved to Gillette 2 years ago and absolutely loves it.

Enjoy your new home.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have visited and would move in a heartbeat. Just learn how to spell Sheridan (no e) before you have your address stamps made up.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And nobody has mentioned the fact that there are quite a few mooses up in the Bighorns. Some pretty good fishing up there, too.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

C
C
I spent a couple of summers building highways near Sheridan and really liked the country. This was about ten years ago but there were a lot of antelope and mule deer in the area then.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B

Sorry to bounce this back to the top, the opportunity has gone, and is back. We are looking at real estate options and there are a many lots available, but I am having trouble finding information on building costs.

Lots say electric/sewer/water to the street.

any estimates or knowledge of what construction on a lot would run? Say a average 3 br house?

House prices themselves are all over the map, hard to tell why, but it seems a simple move 1 mile outside downtown Buffalo shoots the price up.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just north of Sheridan, across the Montana state line is a reservoir, Tongue River reservoir, the crappie fishing is amazing.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Bob_H_in_NH

Sorry to bounce this back to the top, the opportunity has gone, and is back. We are looking at real estate options and there are a many lots available, but I am having trouble finding information on building costs.

Lots say electric/sewer/water to the street.

any estimates or knowledge of what construction on a lot would run? Say a average 3 br house?

House prices themselves are all over the map, hard to tell why, but it seems a simple move 1 mile outside downtown Buffalo shoots the price up.

if the job was gone and now available again, I'd want to know why first....

I'd recommend finding out why the other person left it...

Leave the family back in NH if you have to jump on it.. get out there... road test the job and job security with it... and that will also give you time to check out the area first hand.. real estate prices etc...

When I moved to Oregon back in 1995, I came out to check out the area that I'd be living in, why there was an opening with the company in the town I live in now...

My spouse came out in February after I'd found a place to live etc... decent housing wasn't easy to find... dumps were....

Housing prices in the west and strong variations has a lot to do with Transient Get out of California Crowd.... If they find it popular all of sudden real estate prices rocket sky high...

Local real estate people don't want to sell to some who hasn't come from California... they can't get the big bucks out of ya, like they can California people who think everything is cheap... compared to where they came from....

That scenario really doesn't matter where you look in the western US....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Good website for researching any US cities:

http://www.city-data.com/city/Sheridan-Wyoming.html

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have lived in Wyoming all my life, minus my AF years. I live in Lander, if I didn't I would live in Sheridan. Grab it, don't look back.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sendero_man and wyoming260 live in Buffalo, and so does wyowinchester. Cinch lives out there too.

I'd PM them for info on Buffalo and even Sheridan.

Black Tooth brewery in Sheridan makes great beer....

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (1Longbow, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 52 invisible), 2,557 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,591
Posts18,511,185
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.