-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Under California Education Code Section 51512, it indeed is illegal for any person — including a student — to use an electronic device to record what is happening in the classroom without the consent of the teacher.

But here is where the matter gets tricky: The teeth in the law really applies only to people who are not students. That is, any nonpupil who is caught recording a classroom discussion without the teacher’s consent can be charged with a misdemeanor.

According to a precedent case in 1999, the answer is yes. In Evens v. Superior Court, Karen Evens, a science teacher at LAUSD, was surreptitiously videotaped by two students. Although reports online are not clear about what the video captured, it’s clear that it depicted some sort of misconduct on the part of the teacher.

The LAUSD school sought to use it as evidence in a disciplinary hearing. Through the teachers union, Evens filed a lawsuit arguing that the evidence was not permissible in court.

Ultimately, the California Court of Appeal ruled against the teacher.

The students, meanwhile, were suspended.

Linky

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This rule applies to elementary and secondary schools only.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I have not watched the video. I don't care to watch the video. There is something that I don't quite understand, however, and that is not unusual.

I don't understand why a teacher would be so opposed to having themselves recorded in the classroom.

Law enforcement professionals are increasingly being asked or forced to use body camera devices, along with dash cam video cameras to record every interaction with the public. When this first started, I was among the most vocal, who said that video would completely stifle the product I would be able to provide the citizens of the Commonwealth of Kentucky. In the end, after I had retired as a first line supervisor and then re-hired as a Trooper, I became completely comfortable with the working parameters of being constantly subject to cell phone video and dash cam video.

This professor is being paid by the university to teach human sexuality or some such. Not politics. We ask Law Enforcement professionals to make life or death decisions and enforce statutes impartially and withing the scope of training and accepted policy. Why not educators?

I also want to stress that I mean no disrespect to Birdwatcher or any other educator who my be a member here. Just a question that pops into my head when I skim through this thread.

CT

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Tenure. It needs to end and they need to test out and compete for their job just like you do and I did. I had a number of heated talks with my now deceased FIL, a retired teacher, counselor and dean on this very topic. Nothing brings excellence more than being appropriately measured against one's peers/competition.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
There certainly was no such thing as Tenure in my profession.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I don't understand why a teacher would be so opposed to having themselves recorded in the classroom.

Teach high school much? grin

Look, it ain't like there aren't any checks in the classroom on teacher conduct beyond videotape. The last thing a teacher needs is complaining parents, administrators are free to conduct random walk-throughs, and kids talk about EVERYTHING, to their parents, other kids, other teachers. There are no secrets in high school, not for long.

Unlike Cops, teachers do not forcibly restrain or engage in physical combat with students as part of their job description, nor are they equipped with the means to deploy lethal force if necessary. Hence while recordings may be a good thing for people on both sides of the law in the case of Cops, they ain't the same thing in classrooms.

Let kids ordinarily sit there and record, and I can guarantee you stuff will get posted on the 'net, and 99.9% of the time anything that gets put out on public media will be either in poor judgement or expressly designed to embarrass a teacher.

Also, because you know everything you say and do can be edited and/or taken out of context, and because every class contains at least one kid with lunatic parents its pretty certain that you WILL be edited and taken out of context at some point and which you will have to take time out of your already packed day to address (12+hr days are usual even as it is) .

Also those same cell phones wont be just aimed at the teacher but WILL also be aimed at everybody else in the classroom; kids asleep and drooling on the desk, unpopular kids to ridicule later, hot girls to ogle etc...

On balance a huge disruption of the learning process.

IME,
Birdwatcher

edited in to add.... FWIW, teacher tenure worth the name to my knowledge does not exist in Texas, nowhere that I know of, if they want you out, you're gone.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Look, it ain't like there aren't any checks in the classroom on teacher conduct beyond videotape. The last thing a teacher needs is complaining parents, administrators are free to conduct random walk-throughs, and kids talk about EVERYTHING, to their parents, other kids, other teachers. There are no secrets in high school, not for long.

Unlike Cops, teachers do not forcibly restrain or engage in physical combat with students as part of their job description, nor are they equipped with the means to deploy lethal force if necessary. Hence while recordings may be a good thing for people on both sides of the law in the case of Cops, they ain't the same thing in classrooms.

Let kids ordinarily sit there and record, and I can guarantee you stuff will get posted on the 'net, and 99.9% of the time anything that gets put out on public media will be either in poor judgement or expressly designed to embarrass a teacher.

Also, because you know everything you say and do can be edited and/or taken out of context, and because every class contains at least one kid with lunatic parents its pretty certain that you WILL be edited and taken out of context at some point and which you will have to take time out of your already packed day to address (12+hr days are usual even as it is) .

Also those same cell phones wont be just aimed at the teacher but WILL also be aimed at everybody else in the classroom; kids asleep and drooling on the desk, unpopular kids to ridicule later, hot girls to ogle etc...

IME,
Birdwatcher

edited in to add.... FWIW, teacher tenure worth the name to my knowledge does not exist in Texas, nowhere that I know of, if they want you out, you're gone.

If public funding is part of the equation, then that performance is under public scrutiny.

Stifled my azz.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If public funding is part of the equation, then that performance is under public scrutiny.

Stifled my azz.

Another veteran high school teacher, welcome!

As a typical high school teacher everything I teach and plan to teach is put out there on the 'net in print for parents to see. All the parents have my cell phone number as that is the easiest way to reach me, they are free to reach me any time, the way it works is if I am awake I will answer the phone.

Parents are welcome in the education process, we cannot succeed without them, indeed they are welcome in the classroom, "shadowing" their kid through the school day.

Besides all of that and the aforementioned lack of secrets in high school, the PA system works both ways, the office can already listen in. I suppose surveillance cameras in the classroom are inevitable, just as they are already in place in the hallways.

OK, given alla that, if you think my objections to kids on their phones filming stuff and recording anything and everyone all through class could be a problem, there ain't much more I can say crazy

Heck, just keeping them from being on their phones 24/7 is a problem as it is.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

Stifled my azz.

Another veteran high school teacher, welcome!

As a typical high school teacher everything I teach and plan to teach is put out there on the 'net in print for parents to see. All the parents have my cell phone number as that is the easiest way to reach me, they are free to reach me any time, the way it works is if I am awake I will answer the phone.

Parents are welcome in the education process, we cannot succeed without them, indeed they are welcome in the classroom, "shadowing" their kid through the school day.

Besides all of that and the aforementioned lack of secrets in high school, the PA system works both ways, the office can already listen in. I suppose surveillance cameras in the classroom are inevitable, just as they are already in place in the hallways.

OK, given alla that, if you think my objections to kids on their phones filming stuff and recording anything and everyone all through class could be a problem, there ain't much more I can say crazy

Heck, just keeping them from being on their phones 24/7 is a problem as it is.

Birdwatcher

I get the lack of enthusiasm at being filmed while at work. Alas, when taking public money, one has to face public scrutiny.
If being filmed while performing is untenable, you might seek gainful employment in the private sector.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I get the lack of enthusiasm at being filmed while at work. Alas, when taking public money, one has to face public scrutiny.
If being filmed while performing is untenable, you might seek gainful employment in the private sector.

Aye, there's the rub, I ain't actually worked for a living in 30 years grin

So, put a surveillance system in my room if ya want <shrug>

Meanwhile, send yer own kids to a school where all the kids are free to film everyone and everything, on their phones, all the time. Public scrutiny and all that wink

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

Meanwhile, send yer own kids to a school where all the kids are free to film everyone and everything, on their phones, all the time. Public scrutiny and all that wink

I would like to send my kids to a school where the teachers acted like they were on camera all the time.

Until then, my children attend a very good public school. Even in a great district, there are crappy educators.

YMMV.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Recalde-Martinez posted the teacher’s rant on his Facebook page

He posted the video, he did not record the video, so the discussions on whether or not he has violated rules and laws are moot.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/5242353128001/?#sp=show-clips

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

IME,
Birdwatcher

You do know this is about a COLLEGE MAN recording a COLLEGE PROFESSOR, right?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

I had a camera, 3 actually and voice recording on me the entire time I drove a bus. That didn't seem to stifle the kids in the least.

Granted, I'm not nor have I ever been a HS teacher. All I did was drive the kids, it's not like I was one of the teachers you read about daily that diddles one of their students.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'll also say, for the recording, I ain't for recording.

It was a college class and I'd be ashamed to call myself I man if I handled the way they did.

But as already stated, tenure allows them to get away with a bunch of stupid shiet, which it shouldn't.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by g5m
Who's guarding the guards? Freedom of speech if you agree with us.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2016...-recording-professors-anti-trump-tirade/

Good job Josh Martinez way to Out that liByatch!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Teachers bitching about being filmed and recorded, reminds me of the Liberal Democrats of Late.

Bitch and complain about hacked emails, the Russians, the hacking of the emails and then the Russians, but never mention the fact that the Emails were real and the fact that these Liberal Politicians were wrong.

Just like these crying teachers, their complaint is that they were caught, not that they were wrong, so to keep from being caught again we need to pass laws and punish those that caught us.

OF course this comes as no surprise as Teachers are Liberals and think they are special.

Last edited by steve4102; 12/10/16.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by steve4102
Teachers bitching about being filmed and recorded, reminds me of the Liberal Democrats of Late.

Bitch and complain about hacked emails, the Russians, the hacking of the emails and then the Russians, but never mention the fact that the Emails were real and the fact that these Liberal Politicians were wrong.

Just like these crying teachers, their complaint is that they were caught, not that they were wrong, so to keep from being caught again we need to pass laws and punish those that caught us.

OF course this comes as no surprise as Teachers are Liberals and think they are special.

You also have to acknowledge that FAR more damage is done to children by parents, by a factor of 1000 at least. Shouldn't we have cameras in every house with children?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Olga Perez Stable Cox is not a professor. She's an instructor, has no tenure and would not be eligible for tenure.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

She's a hack.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Further, Orange Coast College is accredited as a junior/community college.

[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1minute, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 22250rem, 1badf350, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,460 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,947
Posts18,519,179
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.