Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by benchman
Originally Posted by Vek
You are very short, and if I'm not mistaken, train very specifically for contest bench pressing. I assume you're suited, and have adapted to the wide grip, arched back = minimal range-of-motion style of benching. That is very highly specialized, and not related whatsoever to what is instructed by Rippetoe.

Nobody is going to out-pace connective tissue adaptation by doing whole body lifts in the manner instructed. Injury results from form compromise, not getting strong.

Originally Posted by benchman
Blissninny spew about muscle growth outpacing connective tissue growth? Tell that to the juicers that tear connective tissue at an alarming rate. The reason is the same as a young teen. The addition of hormone stimulates muscle growth at a FAR faster rate than connective tissue growth can keep up to. We disagree there, but I cannot disagree with The training regime endorsed by Rippetoe. Didn't work for me, as well as what I was doing, but I am very specialized. I'm not a blissninny. I have a great amount of very successful lifting experience.
I gotta tell you, you are wrong. I lift geared and raw. There is a window, right around 13 - 14, I might add, where hormones kick in. At that time, muscle growth can really accelerate. The kids may not have the connective tissue strength to handle it, and tears occur. How many promising football players have carreer ending knee injuries? Rotator tears? I really dont think there are enough very young lifters to get a reliable sample. Pushed hard enough, I think you will see tendon and ligament failures. I DO agree that form compromise results in injury. Although I only compete in bench, I also squat around the raw world record. I just do bench meets though. I do not deadlift, because of a back injury from gymnastics. Not gonna die on this hill, because we do agree on virtually everything else. More than one way to skin a cat, for sure.

The protocol in question involves 3 working sets of 5 reps at a given weight, and adding weight slowly every session:at first 10 lbs each session, then 5 lbs per session, then sticking at a weight for a session or three until stalled. This is gradual by design. The rate of weight increase is scripted the same for all beginners, except for beginners older than 35 or 40 (who are advised to progress more slowly). The protocol developed from observing unfailingly consistent results on hundreds of novice lifters. I fail to see the issue here. At no time does the protocol prescribe testing a single-rep max...that's where folks get hurt.

Congratulations on your accomplishments and continuing success, sincerely. The numbers you hint at lifting are superhuman.

Food for thought:
http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/articles-and-platform-videos/16670-clarification.html

Last edited by Vek; 12/19/16.

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
"Lifting weights" is a very broad term and as indicated by some, if done incorrectly a teenager can easily cause injuries he'll suffer from for the rest of his life.

There are a host of sports that can provide the opportunity to burn off flab and are less likely to cause injury. Not to mention working out in a group tends to be a much more motivating than hitting the weights in the gym or garage by yourself.

Nor sure how it is in Texas, but in our cross country running races whether it's the state champion coming in first, or the pudgy kid coming in 15 minutes later, parents and students from every school are cheering for every runner at every race.

I bet if you reviewed debilitating injury stats between cross country running and properly coached lifting, the results would be surprising.

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by Calvin
Somehow I don't think the kid is going to be able to pull off starting strength without some serious coaching which I doubt is available.

Cross country would be a good sport, or even soccer to get his butt off the couch..

Not disputing that anything is better than nothing...and I realize that he simply might not be interested. But, San Antonio is ~300iles from rippetoes gym. also, with the prevalence of camera phones and the availability of expert film feedback from rippetoes forum, there isn't much excuse for lack of coaching.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
A couple of things.....

Age - he's safe to lift at whatever age. Technique is the most important thing for him. I started as a kid and I'm still lifting. During that time I've been around a lot of people lifting. I've never seen someone injured when lifting with correct form. Most of the injuries I've seen have been from being careless.

Lifting vs sports. Sports are great, but if the kid is a computer nerd and has no desire to compete, maybe even doesn't want to be around other kids because he will be embarrassed, lifting is the perfect activity. He can do it with Bw, and see results. It doesn't matter if he's a great athlete or is so uncoordinated he has trouble walking...he can still lift. Lot's of great benefits from lifting that not many other forms of exercise provide.

The starting strength program is so simple that it's perfect for a beginner. It's effective enough that someone with a lot of experience can still use it.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
A friend of mine has a 9 (almost 10) year old who plays football and baseball, but is slump shoulder and no balance. My friend keeps wanting him to lift weights, but he works a lot and the kid has practice for something every night. (Plus he is only 9)

One day I brought over a couple of light kettlebells and had him do farmers carries across the yard. I walk with him and make sure he uses good form (Shoulders back, chest out, walk tall...). We do this a couple times a week, and he is walking taller with better balance and getting stronger.

It also gets a lot done in a short amount of time.

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Putting weight on bones while they are growing makes bones bigger

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hanco
Putting weight on bones while they are growing makes bones bigger

Yep, and leaves him with a stronger frame for life.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Lifting vs sports. Sports are great, but if the kid is a computer nerd and has no desire to compete, maybe even doesn't want to be around other kids because he will be embarrassed, lifting is the perfect activity. He can do it with Bw, and see results. It doesn't matter if he's a great athlete or is so uncoordinated he has trouble walking...he can still lift. Lot's of great benefits from lifting that not many other forms of exercise provide.

My thinking exactly.

The thing is, the kid is a prodigy in other ways.

Fer example, nor long ago at his school he got kicked out of class when they were talking about Islam among World Religions. He laid out explicitly about jihad, and fatwas and referenced verses in the Koran. When she couldn't shut him up or counter with facts the teacher got flustered.

Politically correct he ain't grin

....and I didn't tell him about any of that stuff, he found that all on his own. FWIW, this kid is Hispanic as all get out.

These past few months I have been lifting regularly again after about forty years. I discovered that I still have the frame and joints for it, and I made surprisingly rapid gains.

Someone told me that when you do work out in youth, you actually lay in a higher density of muscle cells in those muscles affected for life, so that they respond correspondingly faster even after decades of not lifting.

Another thing is, I learned on these boards that lifting enhances testosterone production. I was already doing 50-100 miles/week on a bicycle but I'm pretty sure higher T has kicked in too, based on the way I've felt since.

And even for a guy pushing sixty like me, feeling muscle replace flab, even if other folk's can't yet see it, feels pretty good.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The Campfire may not be worth much, but it sure can bring all sorts of experts from the gallery. A simple question turns into pages of right and wrong comparisons from everyone but a real weight trainer.

Winter sucks, because it puts so many people inside with nothing better to do than write about subjects they have little knowledge of. I guess you get what you deserve with a question to this site about something that really doesn't matter.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
19 years 364 days old sound just right. My back is still screwed from the damage done weight lifting in high school.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by baltz526
19 years 364 days old sound just right. My back is still screwed from the damage done weight lifting in high school.
No one said you couldn't hurt yourself if you do it wrong.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I'm in the gym 4 days a week, see many kids exercising/lifting weights. I'd recommend cardio mixed with high reps & moderate weights just to stay in shape. No need for power/heavy strenuous weight lifting, that'll just cause problems imo.

I'd say go for it but teach him its about staying fit more than how much weight one can lift.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by HitnRun
The Campfire may not be worth much, but it sure can bring all sorts of experts from the gallery. A simple question turns into pages of right and wrong comparisons from everyone but a real weight trainer.

Winter sucks, because it puts so many people inside with nothing better to do than write about subjects they have little knowledge of. I guess you get what you deserve with a question to this site about something that really doesn't matter.

??

I would guess everyone participating on this thread has spent years lifting weights in one manner or another, correctly or incorrectly.

Means they have something to add here.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Got another nephew on my wife's side, 14 yo.

He thinks I'm cool so I got some influence on the kid.

He's a pudgy, non-athletic computer nerd and prob'ly gonna stay like that but for his sake I'd like to get him lifting weights. If he lays on the bone structure now as he grows it will benefit him the rest of his life.

I'm just talking 160 lbs of assorted weights, a bar and a couple of barbels. Local Academy has a complete set for $100.

I'm thinking I was maybe 16 when I got serious about lifting.

Is 14 too early?

Birdwatcher

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

My thinking exactly.

The thing is, the kid is a prodigy in other ways.

Fer example, nor long ago at his school he got kicked out of class when they were talking about Islam among World Religions. He laid out explicitly about jihad, and fatwas and referenced verses in the Koran. When she couldn't shut him up or counter with facts the teacher got flustered.

Politically correct he ain't grin

....and I didn't tell him about any of that stuff, he found that all on his own. FWIW, this kid is Hispanic as all get out.

These past few months I have been lifting regularly again after about forty years. I discovered that I still have the frame and joints for it, and I made surprisingly rapid gains.

Someone told me that when you do work out in youth, you actually lay in a higher density of muscle cells in those muscles affected for life, so that they respond correspondingly faster even after decades of not lifting.

Another thing is, I learned on these boards that lifting enhances testosterone production. I was already doing 50-100 miles/week on a bicycle but I'm pretty sure higher T has kicked in too, based on the way I've felt since.

And even for a guy pushing sixty like me, feeling muscle replace flab, even if other folk's can't yet see it, feels pretty good.

Birdwatcher

And precisely what the phugk does the highlighted portion have to do with anything? I wondered when you'd trot it out BTW. Took longer than I thought actually.

MAGA
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I think he was just reaffirming that he's lazy and sits on the couch a lot.

Could be wrong.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

??

I would guess everyone participating on this thread has spent years lifting weights in one manner or another, correctly or incorrectly.

Lots of guys work on guns but that doesn't make them a gunsmith.

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V

??

Lots of guys work on guns but that doesn't make them a gunsmith.

I'd like to hear what you think qualifies a person to be a "real weight trainer".

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Of course you are well versed as you have posted accordingly, but the real difference is someone trained in that discipline vs someone who has lifted weights. If you can't see the difference it is only because you don't want to.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A young man should start lifting weights around the same time he starts masturbating.........gets rid of some of that extra energy. grin

Just to be clear I started lifting weights when I was 7.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (AdventureBound, 406_SBC, 907brass, 300_savage, akpls, 10 invisible), 1,347 guests, and 765 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,449
Posts18,507,938
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.