-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well, if they put enough lead in the air, the elk are bound to run into some of it.

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Wow, those are some good groups. Wish I could shoot like that.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Those are 1000 yard targets right?

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You probably know this but minute of angle is 1/60 of one degree of angle and there is 360 degrees in a circle.
It works out that at 100 yards 1MOA is slightly greater than 1", close to 1.05" if I recall correctly.

Minute of deer or minute of elk - has a meaning of??

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Well this year I herd a group of hunters cracking at a herd. Not sure how many hunters, hopefully more then one, but it was rapid fire at long range. I was miles away and could hear the rounds cut through the air for several seconds. Made me sick because the herd was bunched up.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Ugh, that's horrible stuff. Wounded elk are never okay with me. If I knew they were limiting themselves to a 100 yards, that'd be okay but I'm sure they are "good to 600 with their Ol Betsy"....

Semper Fi
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Alamosa
The REALLY scary part.

These guys are the ~10% that actually went out to punch some paper before the season.
They are way ahead of the ~60% that see absolutely no need to waste time on that.
yep

I know a guy who was zeroing his rifle in on a cereal box the day of the hunt at about 25 yds.

Last edited by StrayHorse; 12/20/16.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I remember my first Montana Elk hunt , 2 guys showed up with brand spanking new Weatherby Fibermarks 340 bee. I think they shot 2 foot groups at 100 yards. Damn flame coming out of the bore impressive as all get out. I think the Elk will be safe with those guys out hunting provided they are at least 100 yards away grin SMH

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Bugger
You probably know this but minute of angle is 1/60 of one degree of angle and there is 360 degrees in a circle.
It works out that at 100 yards 1MOA is slightly greater than 1", close to 1.05" if I recall correctly.

Minute of deer or minute of elk - has a meaning of??

Good enough to hit the vitals of the deer or elk at teh distance/position/wind you are dealing with.

Though I hate any gun thats not sub MOA, I still know enough to know that MOA is not required for most situations...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

"Spray and pray" is a shooting "technique" with some . . .

IC B3

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Some people sight them in, never check again until they miss.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hanco
Some people sight them in, never check again until they miss.

I think guys who say I never had a problem with any of my scopes fall into this category.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Damned if one of these guys won't kill an elk by sheer happenstance and claim to be a marksman. I have a friend who kills elk most years but ver rarely will sight in or practice. He shoots a 300 Weatherby with factory ammo and refuses to join my cousin and I for a range session. I've offered to sight it in for him but he isn't concerned.

Two years ago he shot his bull in the head from just over 300 yards..... still says that was where he was aiming.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
IF they wound an animal, next year they'll need a magnum.
whats's worse is I know a guy or two who shoot like this. One wants a bigger gun next year and the other thinks some how he is capable for shooting 300+ yards.
SMH

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Dre, shooting 300 hundred yards doesn't require a magnum, just skill..

Molon Labe
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
coyote hunter,
I know you dont need a magnum.
let me clarify.
One guy I know wounded a big branch bull this year with his 270win, should have been a chip shot from what I heard. Next year he wants an 'elk caliber'.... 300WM. he isn't the best shot with his 270. Even though I suggested just trying a different stock to reduce the recoil as this 270 kicks like a mule. Nope.
The other guy is 3 or 4? inches high at hundred going for MPBR.
at 200 yards he 2 if not 3 MOA guy. kind of what the OP pics looks like.
Im no sniper or want to talk smack. Just saying.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I don't talk smack what ever that crap is.. I just shoot.. Have been shooting for 60 years.. I hear this crap about a guy wanting a bigger gun because he can't shoot all the fffin time.. the problem is the guy.. He can't shoot.. A bigger gun won't solve the problem.. but the .300 is one hell of a caliber.. If all you ever shot is an 06, then don't knock it.. I wish when these discussion start everyone HAD to tell how many elk they have shot.. We get all this crap from some clowns who want to hunt elk or have shot one or two or 5 or 10.. Under what conditions.. With whom.. Most of these clowns are hot air and nothing else..

Molon Labe
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I laugh everytime I go to the range around here . People will shoot one time off of a wood block [southern gun rest] , I can see the end of the barrel moving a lot -then adjust the cheap scope . Shoot again then adjust the scope until their one box of ammo is down to 6-7 rounds then call it good .
Bay county shooting range has a 300 yard range with steel targets -one is a buffalo -if they hear a hit it proves they are a good shot in their mind. You have to qualify by hitting a sheet of notebook paper at 100 yards , initially it was 5 shots and make 5 hits but so few could do it became as many shots as needed to put 5 on the sheet of paper . True -funny & sad .
When I shot a 3/4" group with my custom 280AI the range operator about died .

Sometimes I think there should be performance rules on getting a hunting license -you can't shoot -you can't hunt . I hate the thought of wounded game suffering & feeding the coyotes and bears .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ol_mike
I laugh everytime I go to the range around here . People will shoot one time off of a wood block [southern gun rest] , I can see the end of the barrel moving a lot -then adjust the cheap scope . Shoot again then adjust the scope until their one box of ammo is down to 6-7 rounds then call it good .
Bay county shooting range has a 300 yard range with steel targets -one is a buffalo -if they hear a hit it proves they are a good shot in their mind. You have to qualify by hitting a sheet of notebook paper at 100 yards , initially it was 5 shots and make 5 hits but so few could do it became as many shots as needed to put 5 on the sheet of paper . True -funny & sad .
When I shot a 3/4" group with my custom 280AI the range operator about died .

Sometimes I think there should be performance rules on getting a hunting license -you can't shoot -you can't hunt . I hate the thought of wounded game suffering & feeding the coyotes and bears .

To paraphrase Josey Wales, coyotes and bears got to eat, same as humans.

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not an elk hunter, but if I was going out west, I'd make darn sure I could shoot a heck of a lot better than that. Of those three targets, not a single round found it's way to the bull's eye.

I've helped a lot of guys sight in, and I've only had a couple that looked that bad by the time we were done. I wouldn't be surprised to learn those guys were shooting multiple loads of different manufacture and or bullet weight.

The ones that never ceased to amaze me were the guys that show up at the range the day before deer season with a new rifle, and a $40.00 scope. The rifle's been boresighted, and they want to start at 100 yards.

It makes me cringe to think how many animals are wounded and lost for no other reason than hunters not putting in enough range time to prevent groupings like those shown here.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

132 members (10gaugemag, 14idaho, 1beaver_shooter, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 16penny, 22 invisible), 1,416 guests, and 1,012 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,864
Posts18,478,655
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.