Hop To
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12
P
PaFrank Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I've never been a big drinker, although I have tied on a Pirate load upon occasion. (usually once about every 10 years)

Well, I have a few friends that are or were drunks.. even dated a hot functional alcoholic once-upon-a-time (she was really fun)..

well anyway I always wanted to be one of the "fun" crowd, and even tried hard to be a drunk and get in on the fun (distant past)... I could just never do it! I would get loaded, and go to sleep... never liked how I felt the next day.... Never had to have a drink..

My last Pirate load was about 2009, and I don't see any more in my future..

I really do think the alcoholism thing is genetic.. you either gravitate toward it or need it, or you don't..

Interested in you guys thoughts or experiences..

Last edited by PaFrank; 01/01/17.
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Sometimes I drink and sometimes I think
Maybe I was born with a thirst.

Things don't get no better for me
They just go from bad to worse.

~ A line from an old country song.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I love booze.

[Linked Image]

I'm drinking right now.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Whatever it is, it is most definitely NOT a disease.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Like my toddy in the evening but don't need it. Have not been inebriated at all for over 45 years.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I live next to an Indian Reservation, I am absolutely convinced that certain people, Indians in particular, have a genetic disposition toward alcoholism, or at least have a genetic characteristic that leaves them with no resistance to alcoholism. Also, having witnessed several families for many years in which the uncles, the aunts, the cousins, the great-great grandpaws etc are all alcholics, I believe this trait is hereditary.

Last edited by jnyork; 01/01/17.

[Linked Image]
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I read somewhere that the farther you get from Europe, the higher the incidence of alcoholism. Something to do with how long a culture has been exposed to alcohol. Native Americans and Eskimo, fairly recent.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I believe entire groups of people can choose to drink or not. Sometimes those groups are families.

LOL
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by jnyork

I live next to an Indian Reservation, I am absolutely convinced that certain people, Indians in particular, have a genetic disposition toward alcoholism, or at least have a genetic characteristic that leaves them with no resistance to alcoholism. Also, having witnessed several families for many years in which the uncles, the aunts, the cousins, the great-great grandpaws etc are all alcholics, I believe this trait is hereditary.

Having lived around Alaska Natives most of my life, and seen the devastation alcohol has caused among them, I asked my Native friends why.

Folks with European ancestry have developed liver enzymes to handle processing alcohol. Native Americans don't have those enzymes, so alcohol gets into the bloodstream and stays much longer and the effects are felt much stronger.

As for me, the last time I was drunk was August 9, 1986. Spent three days flat of my back with alcohol poisoning.

I had to stop drinking about a year ago due to medical issues. I DO miss my red wine and Bourbon! frown

Ed

The other thing I discovered about Native Americans and alcohol, they tend to not be able to stop once they start. The bottle has to be empty.

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Yes, the genetic aspects are quite interesting. Might be a racist though if one makes any such inference.

1Minute
IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I am not against drinking.
I do very little my self and I can have more fun sober.
When I get drunk I get depressed and I am no fun for anyone.

I had a Guy tell me one time that I was not a man unless I drank and he was offended when I did not drink with him.
The guy was an absolute jerk and had my girl friend in tiers by the end of the night.

So I ask Who is the man.
The one that knows him self or the one that crawls into a bottle to make him self look big to himself.

I do have lots of fun at party's when people are drinking and I am sober.
And I practically lived in a bar for a year clearing my head from a divorce and did not drink just had fun.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I have found the older you get the more hang overs hurt.I enjoy my cold beer but don't over do it to the point of feeling it the next day

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by funshooter

I had a Guy tell me one time that I was not a man unless I drank and he was offended when I did not drink with him.
The guy was an absolute jerk and had my girl friend in tiers by the end of the night.

So I ask Who is the man.
The one that knows him self or the one that crawls into a bottle to make him self look big to himself.

And I practically lived in a bar for a year clearing my head from a divorce and did not drink just had fun.

Just wondering about the circumstances, if he was such an a-hole why did you let him be around your girl?

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Most of the men on my father's side are/were alcoholics. Many on my mother's side too. I struggle with it in that I really like beer, wine and distilled spirits, but I really don't like getting hammered. I really can't handle it like I used to. I can't drink as much as I'd like to.

Mathew 22: 37-39

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

So I ask Who is the man.

Just wondering about the circumstances, if he was such an a-hole why did you let him be around your girl?

P
We were invited and it was a fire member here.
My girl friend spent most of her time with his mother who was a real sweat hart.
I spent my time with him.
He gave us a tour of the area he lives in and pointed the end of his M14 at her head and when she asked if it was loaded he went off on her.
I spoke up and I took a lot of abuse from him all that night.
We had a function to go to with him the next day.
She refused to go so I went alone to be polite and meet up with him.
From the second I got to his home he was on the attack. I took him to one of his friends home and he verbally attacked me so we split he went his way I went my way. I picked up my girl friend and my bloodied up poor dog that his dog attacked three times the night before until I jumped in to the fight to keep his dog from killing my dog. We had a Great time at the function.

The third day we were to have a shoot.
No one from the fire showed up to support this guy but my family.
So we blow him off and went to a tourist trap town and had some release time and enjoyed the last day of our trip.

When I got back home the guy attacked me on the Fire real bad.
And he will probably start up again after he reads this post.

Some people need to put the bottle away and look at them selves and what they do to others when they are drunk.

I consider myself as being quite tolerant of people. I have to be in my line of work but I choose not to have anything to do with this guy or people like him.

When the attacks start on me you will know who it was.
I will not be the one that tells who it is in respect for his privacy and my sanity on the Fire.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
[quote=jnyork]
I live next to an Indian Reservation, I am absolutely convinced that certain people, Indians in particular, have a genetic disposition toward alcoholism, or at least have a genetic characteristic that leaves them with no resistance to alcoholism. Also, having witnessed several families for many years in which the uncles, the aunts, the cousins, the great-great grandpaws etc are alr4l alcholics, I believe this trait is hereditary. [/quo

BINGO
Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
That sounds awesome

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

So I ask Who is the man.

P
My girl friend spent most of her time with his mother who was a real sweat hart.
He gave us a tour of the area he lives in and pointed the end of his M14 at her head and when she asked if it was loaded he went off on her.
From the second I got to his home he was on the attack. I took him to one of his friends home and he verbally attacked me so we split he went his way I went my way. I picked up my girl friend and my bloodied up poor dog that his dog attacked three times the night before until I jumped in to the fight to keep his dog from killing my dog. We had a Great time at the function.

So we blow him off and went to a tourist trap town and had some release time and enjoyed the last day of our trip.

Some people need to put the bottle away and look at them selves and what they do to others when they are drunk.

I consider myself as being quite tolerant of people. I have to be in my line of work but I choose not to have anything to do with this guy or people like him.

I will not be the one that tells who it is in respect for his privacy and my sanity on the Fire.

Post the name...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by GregW

So I ask Who is the man.

P

Post the name...

Nope
Rick got involved the last time many years ago and I do not want to start it back up this time.
Sorry

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Ditto, post the name..

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (1minute, 12344mag, 219DW, 06hunter59, 21, 204guy, 63 invisible), 2,527 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,605
Posts18,511,548
Members74,007
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.