Hop To
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by Steelhead

All you 'old guys' with vaults full of stuff have shown the young 'who gives a [bleep] about stuff'

Not so fast there S H..

TODAY..I liquidated an investment that I began in 2007.

The stock market is higher today than anytime in the past 10 yr. if not ever. The crash in 08-09 cost me more $$ than the JUMP recently has recouped.

Now had I bought quality firearms..instead of market investing (gambling), I could have had at least 'some' profit on my investment.

I 'might' have 1 rifle that I can not sell for more $$ than I paid for it. ALL the rest of my firearms CAN be sold for MORE than I paid.

Some 'STUFF' accrues value. These CHEAP DISPOSABLE POCrap will not increase in value. They are disposable !!

Some 'STUFF' increases in value. (paraphrased repeat)

Jerry

Jerry, I agree. Have more good rifles than I need. But, just may buy a few more. With the current trend and the opinion of those in the know, they may hold their own down the line. Plus they don't eat much.

Last edited by battue; 01/06/17.

laissez les bons temps rouler
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I doubt Winchester rifles are a thing of the past . Around here they seem to fill space and sell at about the same rate as Kimbers.

Most guys around here don't even know what a Kimber is... True chit too..

Same here, but a pre-64 will often get a look.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Brad

Guess when you grow up in a plastic throw-away generation that's your orientation for better or worse.

That's very diplomatic. smile

In this part of the country there's probably 30-40 within a 75 mile radius that someone could buy....used and new. That's a guess .

Across the course match shooters here snap them up for their hunting. They know the good stuff from the junk.

Bob, I can tell yo from experience, New England is different than the rest of the country as a rule... in about every area possible. Just sayin laugh

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by BWalker

Sure see alot of Browning stickers on trucks though, lol. No accounting for bad taste.

Mr. Walker this is an honest ?

Are those "Browning" stickers or the Browning 'Buck Mark'
DEER HEAD ?

The reason I asked is that not too long ago I asked a friend who runs a Gun/Fishing shop...

Who is selling all the Brownings? He said what do you mean? I responded about the Browning Deer Head stickers.

He said, It's not the Browning guns, People like the Deer Head!

Just wondering if it's the same there.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by battue
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I doubt Winchester rifles are a thing of the past . Around here they seem to fill space and sell at about the same rate as Kimbers.

Most guys around here don't even know what a Kimber is... True chit too..

Same here, but a pre-64 will often get a look.

Most guys around here think you're talking about 1911's when you mention Kimber.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[quote=battue
But, just may buy a few more. With the current trend and the opinion of those in the know, they may hold their own down the line. Plus they don't eat much.[/quote]

grin grin

Yes I understand. I have rifles/guns that I don't shoot often, some I haven't shot in a few yrs.

However, the only time ANY gun eats anything.... is when I shoot it. Otherwise they are on 'starvation'--not costing me anything.

OTOH - they hold their value IF not increase in worth.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I'm a 60+ Canuck, and would rather build with a NH Classic, or even a Portugese (gasp) BACO, than chase parts for a pre-war transitional.
The Pre 64's are how old now?

Winchester XPR, that's the competition for the RAR etc. today;
Tikka is the standard that they compare to.

Yet that is Sako's cheaper line.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 338Rules

I'm a 60+ Canuck, and would rather build with a NH Classic, or even a Portugese (gasp) BACO, than chase parts for a pre-war transitional.
The Pre 64's are how old now?

Winchester XPR, that's the competition for the RAR etc. today;
Tikka is the standard that they compare to.

Yet that is Sako's cheaper line.

338: pre wars maybe....but I don't have to chase a single part to build on a post war pre 64 M70.

Thy don't need anything. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When Im cruising the show tables or used racks at lgs in my general area, I seldom see anything that doesn't need something. Or it is priced through the moon. If they have a pre 64, they know what they've got, and won't part with it cheaply.

Still One can hope wink

Good tip though about Post Wars needing less.

See more old BRNOs, than Pre 64s that get me interested, for the money and the market.

Last edited by 338Rules; 01/06/17.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I would love a BRNO..... wink

They are easier to find your side of the border.

Here's a custom on a pre 64. It has been slicked up WAY beyond smooth but needed no parts far as I know. Function is perfect. smile

[Linked Image]

Last edited by BobinNH; 01/06/17.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I'll agree with BobinNH that pre 64s usually only need ammo. No project necessary. Those were built by humans who cared, not robots and CNC.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My take on Winchesters is that they screwed the pooch when they left New Haven and opened up the new plant. When they started making their rifles again the price tags were quite a bit North of $700 for a stainless anything and their 94's were north of $800. When a guy could walk into a gun shop and Rem 700's, Rugers and M70's all sat side by side on the rack at or under $600 it was a matter of which one felt best or had the the best features (CRF, etc). Remington kept their price point of $550 or so for a stainless SPS, Ruger hovered around $600 and then there was the shiny Winchester without stainless and stickered at $758. I don't know anyone that's bought a new Winchester in the last 5-6 years.

On the flip side, sadly I think all 3 manufacturers are hell bent on making and selling as many of their low end almost all plastic cheap rifles anymore these days, pretty sad really.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
What I couldn't do to those fludeleeeze's, you don't want to know. grin

Sharp rifle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Here's a custom on a pre 64. It has been slicked up WAY beyond smooth but needed no parts far as I know. Function is perfect. smile

[Linked Image]

Sweet ! That's what we're talkin about. WOW Just Eye Popping

Where did that old school craftsmanship go though ?

I think Winchester is making a comeback, but looking at their catalog,
I can't help but wonder about their caliber choices, and twist rates.

They are mired in the past ( like Remington) with 14" .22-250s,
or 10" .243, .280, and of course .25-'06, and the venerable .270 JOC

Last edited by 338Rules; 01/06/17. Reason: Got likkered up and Hacked myself
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Horseman
I'll agree with BobinNH that pre 64s usually only need ammo. No project necessary. Those were built by humans who cared, not robots and CNC.

^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^ cool

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 338Rules

[Linked Image]

Sweet ! That's what we're talkin about. WOW Just Eye Popping

Where did that old school craftsmanship go though ?

I think Winchester is making a comeback, but looking at their catalog, I can't help but wonder about their caliber choices, and twist rates.

They are mired in the past ( like Remington) with 14" .22-250s,
or 10" .243, .280, .25-'06, .270

Bob's rifle there is full on custom. The metal came from Winchester when they did things right. I'm not saying the pre 64's were the best (although, they were). Some of the New Haven rifles were very nice as well. For example, they went for about 17 years (with their head up their azz) without having a fwt rifle on the market. Back in 1981, they brought the fwt back and those XTR's were beautiful rifles:

[Linked Image]

Then in '92 when they brought the CRF back with the classics, things were looking pretty good for them. Now, we have the MOA and Portuguese manufacture to look forward to. Pass me an old rifle please... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Me, I'd be happy to find a used one with a WinLite stock, to swap over to my '92 Fwt Classic .280 Rem
10" frown

The wood on it is quite nice, but nothing like Bob's custom. Still drooling
Thanks Bob - don't bore me with details, whatever chambering & components went into the build are irrelevant.

It is Truly Magnificent !

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
No doubt Winchester is deader than bent nail. I have had to rescue three serious hunters from their Model 70's in the recent past. Poor guys didn't know how bad those CT rifles really were. It's tough work but I'm dedicated to helping the misinformed.

Why does a man who is 50 pounds overweight complain about a 10 pound rifle being too heavy?
SCI Life Member 4**
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I have had two winlite fwts (06 and 270), and both were very good shooters. I always keep an eye out for another one at a decent price.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have a Winlite in 7mm rem mag. It's about as good as a factory rifle gets IMO. The machining is better than any of the Model 70 classics and many pre 64's.

Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

226 members (300_savage, 264mag, 1_deuce, 204guy, 260Remguy, 26 invisible), 1,877 guests, and 1,111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,755
Posts18,476,354
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.