Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Originally Posted by carbon12
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I don't buy anything though that won't accept a new handle like a Fiskars.

As much fun it is to rehafting an axe, it is easy to tolerate the Fiskars because after countless bad strikes over the years that would have made it necessary to rehaft a traditional wood handle, the plastic handles that Fiskars come with have yet to exhibit any damage in the least. Admittedly, it leaves me in wonderment all the time.

+1. I have had no problems with the handles on my Fiskars and, if one ever does break, I can get another Fiskars axe for the price of a good axe haft.

Well,maybe I'm just too set in my ways. I may have to get one just to see if my boy can destroy it instead of one of my hickory handles.

GB1

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hi Doc,

Both Husqvarna and Gransfors Bruk axes & hatchets are common here in Sweden, so I have been able to compare them side by side on several occasions.

I can't see any notable differences between the profile of the heads.

I have no way to compare the metallurgy or hardness but I do know the Gransfors Bruks heads have hard cutting edges, with softer eyes & polls so they don't crack or splinter. I do not know if the Husqvarna have differentially-hardened heads.

However, I have seen a number of Husquvarna axes or hatches with bad grain layout -- bad enough that I think they would not take long to break.

I have not seen a Gransfors Bruk hatchet or axe with bad grain orientation so far, so if you are going to order through the Internet, a Gransfors Bruk seems a safer bet.

If you can examine the handle and get one with the annular growth rings running more or less parallel to the long axis of the head, then I would not worry about buying either. If you are mail ordering, I would stick with Gransfors Bruk.

Gransfors Bruk has a nice WEBSITE too. They take pride in what they do, and they also have an interesting tour of the factory and classes in log building, but I can imagine that this is less likely to interest you... wink

John

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I've been happy with a Fiskars X7 hatchet for the pack. It's about 24 oz. I think I paid $36.00 or something at Home Depot.

[Linked Image]

I could probably save some weight with a suitable knife for batoning, since I mostly use it for prepping firewood.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I use a hydraulic splitter for processing serious firewood for the house.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

+1. Only way to fly. I use the hydraulic splitter to get the rounds down to reasonable sizes, then switch to a splitting axe to take the pieces down to stove size. Once I used a hydraulic splitter, I swore I'd never go back to a maul and wedges--particularly for splitting rounds with lots of knots in them, which we get quite a few of when taking down large fir trees.

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I don't buy anything though that won't accept a new handle like a Fiskars.

As much fun it is to rehafting an axe, it is easy to tolerate the Fiskars because after countless bad strikes over the years that would have made it necessary to rehaft a traditional wood handle, the plastic handles that Fiskars come with have yet to exhibit any damage in the least. Admittedly, it leaves me in wonderment all the time.

+1. I have had no problems with the handles on my Fiskars and, if one ever does break, I can get another Fiskars axe for the price of a good axe haft.

Same for me. The Gerber/Fiskars are the real deal.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

+1. Only way to fly. I use the hydraulic splitter to get the rounds down to reasonable sizes, then switch to a splitting axe to take the pieces down to stove size. Once I used a hydraulic splitter, I swore I'd never go back to a maul and wedges--particularly for splitting rounds with lots of knots in them, which we get quite a few of when taking down large fir trees.

Mostly splitting lodgepole here, a little fir. It's mostly dry beetle-kill. Splits pretty easy with just a modest sized splitter.

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Of the axes currently manufactured, Gransfors Bruk are the best I own. I bought my first two in Sweden back before they were known in the States. I brought them back strapped to either side of my pack, which I carried on. I had shaved much of the hair off my left forearm while selecting them at the hardware store in Uppsala.

They are a fine tool akin to an English best gun. While there are many others that will get the job done, Gransfor Bruk are on another level altogether.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C

The only Fiskars I've owned is a hatchet I got at Lowes. I like it. I use it mostly for hardwood kindling, and it stays sharp.

All things are always on the move simultaneously. - W.S. Churchill
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My brother loves Fiskars, I love Husq, we compare them every year in big game camp and are still at a draw. Neither of us can justify a Gransfors Bruks because ours do what is needed just fine. Just maybe not with as much class...

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I've never owned a GB either. I keep looking at that little GB Mini hatchet. Only 10" and 12 oz.

Never owned a GB, but they look so classy and functional.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Chris
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I like my Gerber Camp axe. Great for lighter duty. Handle could be better so I wrapped mine with Winn handle tape (fishing product) axe head is very sharp and holds the edge pretty decent. They run about $40.00

Last edited by goodshot; 01/15/17.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Gransfors Bruk are top of the line, but at the time my budget wasn't....I purchased both a hand axe and the Forest axe from Wetterlings. Have never been disappointed with either of them!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've got hatchets/axes from Gransfors Bruks, Wetterlings and Estwing. They're all good but Gransfors Bruks is clearly the best of the bunch.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My favorite single bit axe is the Hudson Bay style. It is 3# with a 28 inch handle. Been a great companion on hunting/fishing trips as well splitting wood at home. I choke up on the handle and it serves well as a hatchet for splitting kindling.

Fits nicely in scabbard if so inclined.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Recent activity with the axe this fall. Stove and fireplace wood pile.
[Linked Image]

http://counciltool.com/shop/hudson-bay-axes/2-hudson-bay-axe-28-handle-and-sheath/

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Along this bent, Snow and Neally are well known for the Hudson Bay pattern. They make several other patterns and all are made in Maine. A 3-1/2 lb single bit would make a nice splitting axe.

Some are available on Amazon.

Regarding GB. My hands down favorite is their traditional hunter's axe with the mirror polished poll. I take some pics tomorrow.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by kingston
Along this bent, Snow and Neally are well known for the Hudson Bay pattern. They make several other patterns and all are made in Maine. A 3-1/2 lb single bit would make a nice splitting axe.

Regarding GB. My hands down favorite is their traditional hunter's axe with the mirror polished poll. I take some pics tomorrow.

Be advised that there is chatter on the Internet that S&N had axe heads made in China and then finished and assembled in Maine. This happened some years ago. Might be different now.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kingston

Be advised that there is chatter on the Internet that S&N had axe heads made in China and then finished and assembled in Maine. This happened some years ago. Might be different now.

The company is now owned by an Amish family, who's transitioned to a 100% US forged, finished, and hafted product.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

98 members (338reddog, 14idaho, 01Foreman400, achlupsa, 35, 41rem, 4 invisible), 1,556 guests, and 840 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,323
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.