Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
They are fun and useful

[Linked Image]

How has that ACE stock worked out for you? Any problems?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I would like to get one and just use a Reflex sight on it.I have two RRA Varmints in 223 and 20 Practical for longer range shooting.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nope I like it...that stock came factory on that Windham Weaponry varmint exterminator

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
I'm not a black rifle guy but I like the working mans rifle theme....

Good snag......

I just did something similar with a Tikka Hunter in 222....($499 +$25 shipping)
I'm a born tinkerer but I ain't gonna spend one thin dime on do-dads for this one.....

[Linked Image]

Where in the fugk did you find that thing?

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
They are fun and useful

[Linked Image]

How has that ACE stock worked out for you? Any problems?

I have an M-4 with that Ace stock on it.

Works flawlessly.

This is my M-4, and all I changed is the forearm to a free floating one, and added a nice trigger that breaks at 2.5 pounds.

Weighs about 7 pounds without optics.

[Linked Image]

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Every time I think I want one, I talk myself out of it. A buddy of mine has two, and I can shoot one whenever I want, I just don't want one enough to buy one of my own.

His is an "okay" shooter (DPMS upper and lower, mid-length gas furniture, ACE stock, some other gadgets). The other one is a Rock River Varminter, which shoots better than most boltguns.

But every time I go to buy one, some boltgun or levergun catches my eye, and I forget about the ARs pretty quick.

I hate chasing brass anyway.

Every American should own at least one AR.

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
A lightweight Bushmaster,..the QRC.

It's just bare bones and comes in at just a hint under 6 lbs. I haven't got any optics on it yet so I haven't shot it, but I'm impressed with it's fit and finish considering that it's a base model. There's no grittyness in the bolt and the trigger was a nice surprise. It's not particularly light, but it breaks very clean.

The collapesable buttstock is a bit loose, but I never much liked them anyway. One of the very few changes I intend to do to it is put an Ace skeletal buttstock on it,..which will drop a few ounces of weight and provide a more rigid shoulder point. The Ace also comes with an optional 1" butt pad which should make the LOP more proper for my long arms.

Like I said,..it's just a toy. Except for the stock and a scope I'm going to leave it just like it is,..no geegaws. I want to see how well one of these ultralight AR-15 carbines can shoot.

[Linked Image]

I bet it gives you zero problems.

What optic are you going to put on it?

I'd swap the buttstock for a mapul of your choosing.

Dave

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
And throw that little red dot sight that came with it in the trash... laugh

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
I'm not a black rifle guy but I like the working mans rifle theme....

Good snag......

I just did something similar with a Tikka Hunter in 222....($499 +$25 shipping)
I'm a born tinkerer but I ain't gonna spend one thin dime on do-dads for this one.....

[Linked Image]

Where in the fugk did you find that thing?

Dave

http://www.eurooptic.com/JRTA311-Tikka-T3-Hunter-222-Remington-JRTA311-with-Rings.aspx

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Every time I think I want one, I talk myself out of it. A buddy of mine has two, and I can shoot one whenever I want, I just don't want one enough to buy one of my own.

His is an "okay" shooter (DPMS upper and lower, mid-length gas furniture, ACE stock, some other gadgets). The other one is a Rock River Varminter, which shoots better than most boltguns.

But every time I go to buy one, some boltgun or levergun catches my eye, and I forget about the ARs pretty quick.

I hate chasing brass anyway.

Every American should own at least one AR.

Dave

Even the ones born in Kenya....

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
A lightweight Bushmaster,..the QRC.

It's just bare bones and comes in at just a hint under 6 lbs. I haven't got any optics on it yet so I haven't shot it, but I'm impressed with it's fit and finish considering that it's a base model. There's no grittyness in the bolt and the trigger was a nice surprise. It's not particularly light, but it breaks very clean.

The collapesable buttstock is a bit loose, but I never much liked them anyway. One of the very few changes I intend to do to it is put an Ace skeletal buttstock on it,..which will drop a few ounces of weight and provide a more rigid shoulder point. The Ace also comes with an optional 1" butt pad which should make the LOP more proper for my long arms.

Like I said,..it's just a toy. Except for the stock and a scope I'm going to leave it just like it is,..no geegaws. I want to see how well one of these ultralight AR-15 carbines can shoot.

[Linked Image]

I bet it gives you zero problems.

What optic are you going to put on it?

I'd swap the buttstock for a mapul of your choosing.

Dave

I'm going to go traditional on the scope,...I'm leaning towards a Redfield 2-7X33.

I've been looking at the Magpull stocks. I like their friction lock feature.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
AR's are like lay's potato chips. i started with a local parts gun and now have 6 ranging from 5.7 to 458.
toys they aren't. i use the 5.7 for clearing pasture rats. the 223 for coyotes, the 7.62x39's for deer, and the 458 for grins so far. Elk hunting next year.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I can't warm up to them for an actual hunting rifle. They are about as convenient to carry as a greased cat. There is just no place to grab one and carry it with one hand that balances well. They do, however, make great truck guns. Particularly now that they are cheap enough that you don't mind actually keeping one in your truck.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JoeBob
I can't warm up to them for an actual hunting rifle. They are about as convenient to carry as a greased cat. There is just no place to grab one and carry it with one hand that balances well. They do, however, make great truck guns. Particularly now that they are cheap enough that you don't mind actually keeping one in your truck.

I've carried one for miles upon miles. I use a sling just as I would with any other rifle.

If I have it in hand, the pistol grip works well for one handed carry with the barrel pointed to the ground.

An AR is only awkward because one is used to a conventional rifle. In a short time, that awkwardness disappears and handling becomes easy.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by JoeBob

You could hang this one from a belt loop.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by deerstalker
AR's are like lay's potato chips. i started with a local parts gun and now have 6 ranging from 5.7 to 458.
toys they aren't. i use the 5.7 for clearing pasture rats. the 223 for coyotes, the 7.62x39's for deer, and the 458 for grins so far. Elk hunting next year.

I referred to it as a "toy" because it's just something for me to play with.

Guns have always been some of my favorite toys,....guns and motorcycles.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
There is a reason the original one had a carrying handle right at the balance point.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I really want one of the Bushy uppers just like you got. I have plenty of lowers. I'm looking for light weight as well.

I did build a light weight AR with a Tennessee Arms polymer lower and a Del-Ton light weight carbine upper and I guess it's around 5.5 lbs with no sight. I also did a Del-Ton mid length light weight barrel on a Tennessee Arms polymer lower and it is only an ounce or 2 heavier than the carbine length rifle.

Alas, both now reside at my son's house. One for him and one for his wife. I really need to get them back and play with them some more.

You did good B. A 2-7 scope is about right if you want to keep it light weight. If you want to lose another ounce or two replace the flash hider with a thread protector. You might be able to find an aluminum one.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
I've read that many base model AR rifles use Green Mountain barrels.

ER Shaw too.

GOA
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

141 members (1lesfox, 44mc, 35, 7887mm08, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 13 invisible), 1,060 guests, and 957 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,845
Posts18,517,417
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.