Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Things have changed. Training's different.

When I was a rookie, the crusty old sergeants said, if you can't take a knife off someone, you shouldn't be a cop. Just the way it was.

No one wants to get stabbed, but I saw a lot of leeway there for those cops. It was obvious old Jerry decided it was time to go.

It was a "legal" shoot. It wasn't a morally good shoot. Not yet.

I'm reminded of the shoot at Columbine. Cops outside and gun shots going on inside and not one cop willing to go in and end it! Nobody wants to take a risk anymore? You mean to tell me, three cops with night sticks couldn't subdue this guy from three sides?

Jesus, I'm getting tired of making excuses for my brothers in blue, but someone already said it. They "Wanted" to shoot.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
It sounds like I got it right about 4ager about being a bloviating buffoon.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Remington6MM

Nope, you got called and you're taking a pass. Go figure. The thread's about Jerry and cops, not me.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Whether they had to or whatever, I found the procedural part of the aftermath surreal.

Bangbangbangbang... man lying on ground with multiple through and through wounds to the upper torso. "Jerry, stay down. You're under arrest". I think he was complying by that time.

A few seconds later as they approach, "Jerry, drop the knife, we're trying to help you." Okay, that one is rich with possibilities.

I'm sure they followed proper procedure, officer safety and all that and no one who wasn't actually there can really find fault in doing so, but the juxtaposition of proper procedure with a man bleeding to death on the ground - be it his fault, the cops' fault or the fault of his abusive father when Jerry was a kid - seems very Kafkaesque.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 4ager

Do you honestly think they wanted to kill him?

I think they didn't want to NOT kill him bad enough.

Do you honestly believe that those cops are both untrained

Trained to do exactly what they did. Shot their tazers from too far away and three to one outnumbered an old drunk shot him down. Very well trained at it by the looks of it. Very well done.

and sociopathic enough to seek out opportunities to kill people?

Never even suggested it. Simply said that they live to do it another day. The reason? See #1 above

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Do you honestly think they wanted to kill him? Do you honestly believe that those cops are both untrained and sociopathic enough to seek out opportunities to kill people?

I honestly believe that their field of fire was VERY, very poorly scoped,almost unbelievably stupid,and that they were NOT thinking about the folks residing downrange.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good shoot, in my untrained opinion, But I do have to wonder why bean bag rounds and that guns are not standard issue
per Cruiser
Folks are getting shot at distances too far for a taser.
Why not to use a less than lethal with longer range??

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, I am not a cop. That being said, for the people that feel like the shoot was unjustified, what would you have done?
Try to contain the suspect somehow? The tazer didn't work.They had a busy street right behind them, from the sounds of things. Do you let the guy continue to approach, and go 'hand to hand' with him on the ground?
I'm not trying to be contentious, but am genuinely curious as to how the police should have contained this man?

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by 4ager

Do you honestly think they wanted to kill him?

I think they didn't want to NOT kill him bad enough.

Do you honestly believe that those cops are both untrained

Trained to do exactly what they did. Shot their tazers from too far away and three to one outnumbered an old drunk shot him down. Very well trained at it by the looks of it. Very well done.

and sociopathic enough to seek out opportunities to kill people?

Never even suggested it. Simply said that they live to do it another day. The reason? See #1 above

Gotcha. I simply disagree. Maybe it's because I know too many damned good cops; maybe I just think better of them than that - whatever the reason, I simply disagree.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Old days, cops was trained to whack this guy outta the knife, and tune him up to prevent a repeat.

Now, cops is trained to make a video that justifies shootin.

So that's what they did. The guy, out of his mind maybe, agreed to star in the video.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
Things have changed. Training's different.

When I was a rookie, the crusty old sergeants said, if you can't take a knife off someone, you shouldn't be a cop. Just the way it was.

No one wants to get stabbed, but I saw a lot of leeway there for those cops. It was obvious old Jerry decided it was time to go.

I'm reminded of the shoot at Columbine. Cops outside and gun shots going on inside and not one cop willing to go in and end it! Nobody wants to take a risk anymore? You mean to tell me, three cops with night sticks couldn't subdue this guy from three sides?

Jesus, I'm getting tired of making excuses for my brothers in blue, but someone already said it. They "Wanted" to shoot.

It's the mindset that's drilled into them.

All I can say is I hope ever damn person I meet on the street views me as much of a threat as these three cops viewed Jerry. Maybe they'll leave me the fook alone.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Fubarski
Old days, cops was trained to whack this guy outta the knife, and tune him up to prevent a repeat.

Now, cops is trained to make a video that justifies shootin.

So that's what they did. The guy, out of his mind maybe, agreed to star in the video.

It's all good if we say the right things on video, and let him hit that 21' threshold.

LOL
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Do you honestly think they wanted to kill him? Do you honestly believe that those cops are both untrained and sociopathic enough to seek out opportunities to kill people?

I honestly believe that their field of fire was VERY, very poorly scoped,almost unbelievably stupid,and that they were NOT thinking about the folks residing downrange.

GTC

I thought I said that already.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
A man charging can cover a lot of ground in a few seconds. I know. But instinct should come into play. Discretion. Three men should be able to take a drunk with a butcher knife. Hell, a drunk can barely stand. Get him circling around to cover his 6 and he's gonna fall on his face. There would be plenty of time to kill him if that didn't work.

I don't feel a bit bad for Jerry. He got what he wanted. I just don't want anyone patting these cops on the back and calling them heroes! They weren't. This wasn't a "Kill or be killed" scenario.

Screw it.

Last edited by Dan_Chamberlain; 01/18/17.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

GTC

I thought I said that already.

Well pardon me all to tears for thinking it needed saying again.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S

Letting somebody with first hand experience speak for me. I never had a drunk old man threaten me wih a knife. But creeps, the cop whose shoulder we're looking over pops 3 rounds in less than a second at an old drunk dude that couldn't have run if a bear, no wait, a cop was after him.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Whatever happened to three guys wade in there and give Jerry a happy tap with a baton and drag his butt off to jail?

I'm betting these three cops were bedwetters right up til they graduated academy.

LOL
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by Remington6MM

Thank god he doesn't post in the cooking section. He invented pancakes don'tcha know. laugh

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I just cannot understand why they shot Jerry, disarming him would have been so much better.

http://m.wafb.com/wafb/pm_/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=od:Yifv6wfP

Two sisters of Grand Coteau Interim Mayor Shaterral Johnson were stabbed while trying to stop 35-year-old Harrison Lee Riley Jr., of Arnaudville, from stabbing his wife. 40-year-old Shameka Johnson, and Officer Henry Nelson both died on the scene. 51-year-old Nelson was responding to the scene of a stabbing on Anna Street when he was shot by Riley with his own gun. According to the sheriff, Riley had taken the gun from Nelson during a confrontation.

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 163bc, 1936M71, 1234, 17CalFan, 61 invisible), 2,305 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,995
Posts18,499,956
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.