Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Jim, I am right there with you.

I once had a crew foreman (under me as I was GM) that told the laborers under him, he'd hold his hand up in the air and say, "I'm up here", moves hand down to waist level, " and you're down here".

That's where we stand with cops.

You occupy that position in any intellectual display.

mike r

You just need to know who and what warrants serious thought. You, and this, isn't it.

LOL

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
OK, that explains a lot. Perhaps you should request a font that indicates when your posts are based on "serious" thought.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If I'm a cop and a guy won't obey several commands to drop a deadly weapon, guess who is going home to his family? Done deal.

Grammar is important.
Capitol letters are the difference between "helping your Uncle Jack off a horse" & "helping your uncle jack off a horse".
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Yep. Different video. Those last eight small steps dumb ol' drunk Jerry took (stumbled) were too much, he crossed that line... Those guys could have backed up the same distance in a half of a half of a second. They held that position and killed him rather than moving. Absolutely a threat but they could have maintained a safer distance - such as the same distance as when the tasing occurred - by simply taking a few steps. A chitty deal, but IMO, at the first shot, there were options. DGAF though.

Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Rockinbbar...
Not even a judgement. Just watched the video a couple times and offered an opinion. Shows officers walking a long ways forward towards the guy. Then the guy walks towards them and they shoot him. Not saying he wasn't in the wrong, nor not a threat. Expecting a drunk crazy phucqker to be rational? Musta crossed some line they drew in the sand? There appeared to be lots of room around. I really don't give a phucqk though, it's what happened. A guy's obviously better off not getting into such chit.

Then you watched a different video. They were there because he already assaulted someone. They gave him a 1/2 dozen warnings to drop the knife, or they would shoot. hit him with a taser, several times. They went towards him to see if they could apprehend him several times, and backed away..several times.

Drunk or not, a man with a knife is a deadly force.

If he was in your house would you just try to fight him? If he was in your yard would you just try to fight him? Even after you've backed away more than once?

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If a citizen with a carry permit had shot Jerry under the same circumstances he would face charges. A Prosecuter would not buy his claim of fearing for his life.

He might beat the charge but he would be out a bunch in legal fees.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I read about half the thread and saw all that I needed to see.

I've had a 6" Buck hunting knife stuck in me up to the guard-intentionally. Never going there again.
Just this week I also watched an obviously crazed person walk around in a busy parking lot holding a gun pointed at his temple for 5+ minutes.
You can't control what you can't control.
The officers obviously took control of the situation. They gave multiple options and Jerry paid no mind.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Duckhunter
If I'm a cop and a guy won't obey several commands to drop a deadly weapon, guess who is going home to his family?

Not the deaf woodcarver!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Originally Posted by DocRocket
There's a training film out there that shows a naked guy on PCP with a knife slice n dice a female officer while being teased multiple times, then smash through a board fence bare-handed, then cut off his own penis with the knife with no apparent pain and then charge the cops with the knife again. Want to try to disarm that guy with a baton? I don't.

eek.. Off to LiveLeak I go...

If you find it, post the link!

Don't know if this is it, but it's the closest I could come up with..This guy is bloody, might have cut off his pecker before hand..

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Troutnut
Inside of 21' away guy with a knife can still cause bodily damage. The 21'"rule" has been in use for years . Guy has a deadly weapon and not listening to officer's commands . He had a choice of dropping the knife, instead he ignored and walked towards the officers. Wasn't anything they could or should have done differently in my opinion.

Yep, folks that don't understand this, usually, are not ones putting their life on the line....

WHO started this anyway? Damn sure was not the cops, it was Jerry's actions, as much of a shame as it is, Jerry did this, no one else.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by curdog4570
If a citizen with a carry permit had shot Jerry under the same circumstances he would face charges. A Prosecuter would not buy his claim of fearing for his life.

What if Jerry had been...................black?

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shootem

Laughing...

"Bang Bang Bang Bang.....Jerry put the knife down.....Bang....we're here to help."

Happy B-day Rost495.!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I do things in reverse often, and I just watched the video.

Those cops went above and beyond the whole time. Not a bit of negative video in there.

Not much more you can ask of LEO in those situations.

Those that don't agree, we'll just have to say I support LEO and I wished you would too. And tell the damn stupid drunks and druggies their habits have liabilities, one is getting dead one way or another... stupid will kill you quicker than most think.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by shootem

You can bet your ass Al $harpton and Je$$e Jackson would have been there the next day mapping out the area for destruction.

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without convictions

A positive attitude will not solve all your problems,
but it will annoy enough people to make it a worthwhile effort.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It's not destruction Max, it's urban renewal.....
Tax payers and insurance companies will rebuild it.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L

Maybe in Texas. Here, if I were in that situation w/ the perp on film I wouldn't expect to be charged. If it became legally necessary to make a statement or answer questions , then I would engage my attorney.

mike r

Wish you were better

Craig Douglas ECQC
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
The "21 foot rule" is not a legal standard. Rather it is a training method better referred to as the Tueller Drill.

mike r

Wish you were better

Craig Douglas ECQC
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I am not a trained police officer, but why does every police shooting involve many shots all in the torso. Jerry was an old drunk barely standing on his own. I will paraphrase Ron White , Jerry might have been told to drop the knife but not the ability to do so. Just because he is not able to understand instructions, he should be killed. Does anyone remember the video of the guy sitting with a gun in his hand and some cop sniper shot it out of his hand....
I think old Jerry was close enough for someone of limited abilities to hit an arm , leg or something. It's one thing the cops shot him, its another they need a 6 shells to make 4 hits in close range......Do cops practice with their carry guns anymore.
Like I said, I am not a trained LEO , but I would think I could hit Jerry with one shot where he was fully aware he needed to drop the knife and start listening to instructions.

Last edited by wyoming260; 01/19/17.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Lawyers, amongst other things, make shooting the knife out of his hand or shooting in the leg, administratively impossible. Legally, dealing with a dead person is easier and cheaper. So I've heard.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wyoming260
I am not a trained police officer, but why does every police shooting involve many shots all in the torso. Jerry was an old drunk barely standing on his own. I will paraphrase Ron White , Jerry might have been told to drop the knife but not the ability to do so. Just because he is not able to understand instructions, he should be killed. Does anyone remember the video of the guy sitting with a gun in his hand and some cop sniper shot it out of his hand....
I think old Jerry was close enough for someone of limited abilities to hit an arm , leg or something. It's one thing the cops shot him, its another they need a 6 shells to make 4 hits in close range......Do cops practice with their carry guns anymore.
Like I said, I am not a trained LEO , but I would think I could hit Jerry with one shot where he was fully aware he needed to drop the knife and start listening to instructions.

You may be on to something. How cool would it be to start shooting at some doods hand from 40 yards away, with a handgun, as he approached? Maybe even cooler than bowling pins...

Of course, we'd have to get rid of that "fear" bullshit.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
Bigwhoop.

I've done it. Knives and guns. Coulda killed on three different occasions and been legally justified. Didn't have to. Instinct and discretion.

These cops did what they did. They aren't heroes here. Maybe they have been. Maybe they will be. But here, they weren't.

That's just me.

I talked two out of knives myself. Bottom line is that cops are not trained to disarm with a baton or stick. The cops are not heroes here in the traditional sense. Some will always second guess their action. One may quit, one may start drinking, one may lose his family - there are no winners. It is what it is.
Problem is when people are quick to second guess when they have no clue.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 01/19/17.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1234, 10gaugeman, 17Fan, 65 invisible), 2,319 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,325
Posts18,487,480
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.