Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I know where there is an upcoming auction with 20 99's and 1899's listed. I believe some of these are pretty high end ones. Now I know that posting auction links is frowned upon here so if you want the info pm me. The guns listed are
1899F combination 300 savage/410 shotgun.cased factory set.mfg 1926
1899 takedown 250-3000 22" barrel mfg 1921
99EG 300 savage 24"barrel checkered
1899 takedown 30-30. 26" barrel marbles tang peep site
1899 cd 38-55 26"octagon to round barrel special order B grade checkering
mfg. 1904
99G takedown 300 savage. 24" barrel wooden takedown case and red Indian box of ammo
1899 30-30. 26" barrel lyman rear tang peep site
99H carbine 30-30 20" barrel lyman rear tang peep site mfg 1931
99G takedown 250-3000 22" barrel mfg 1921
99A carbine 250-3000 20" barrel
1899 takedown "The Imp" 22 hi power 2" barrel mfg 1918
1899 303 26" octagon barrel crescent butt plate barrel stamped FEK mfg 1917
99A 243 20" barrel
1899 takedown 25/35 26" barrel mfg 1920 professionally restored
99M DE Citation grade. 243 22" barrel engraved nickel receiver unfired with box
99 300 savage 24" barrel
99 300 savage 24" barrel engraved scope rings
99 300 savage 24" barrel
99 takedown 250-3000 22" barrel checkered chip at tang mfg 1915
99 300 savage 24" barrel rubber recoil pad sling and period 4x scope

not trying to stir up any trouble and will not be attending this auction but thought maybe some of you would be interested....trying to be an enabler for you savage addicts!

If it looks good, you'll see it
If it sounds good, you'll hear it
If it's marketed right, you'll buy it
But...If it's real, you'll feel it
Kid Rock
GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I don't agree with posting auction, but you might as well post the rest of the information now, you say you will give it out in a PM anyway. I do want you to ask yourself - Why don't people ever post an auction they are going to be bidding at? ...and then ask yourself, if you were going to this auction to bid on something that you were really interested in, would you still post it? ...or want someone else to post it? I have no interest in any of these guns and will not be going, but I would not post it, let a person who puts his own time into finding these auctions bid with a little less competition, maybe that way they will get a bargain for their efforts.

Gene
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
PM's work fine, it's the lurkers that are coming here and bidding everything up on us, can't see a lurker pm'ing a member for the info.

It's putting "Live auction" in the title of a thread that gets me shaking my head. So....because you put live auction in the title that means nobody else is going to bid against you now?

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bearschlayerx2, Thanks for posting. I think it's consistent with the congenial nature of the Campfire to share precisely such info.
I, respectfully, disagree with GeneB. In the age of the internet and Google, only the luddites think such information is secret.
A little piece of me wants to use stronger language.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Go ahead and use stronger language.

You think we came up with this s**t because everything was working out well here when we were posting auctions? We were getting nailed by lurkers, thats why we try not to post live auctions anymore. 20 other guys will read it and now you've got 20 more guys upping the bids.....think about it. Were taking care of each other here by not posting live auctions, we all know how to find stuff when we want it.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It just took me all of two seconds to find this auction with Google, Sunday Feb 12 starting at 8:30 am.

Real hard.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GeneB
I don't agree with posting auction, but you might as well post the rest of the information now, you say you will give it out in a PM anyway. I do want you to ask yourself - Why don't people ever post an auction they are going to be bidding at? ...and then ask yourself, if you were going to this auction to bid on something that you were really interested in, would you still post it? ...or want someone else to post it? I have no interest in any of these guns and will not be going, but I would not post it, let a person who puts his own time into finding these auctions bid with a little less competition, maybe that way they will get a bargain for their efforts.

WTF?

Have Dog

Will Travel

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
posting auctions works for the seller...

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by fishdog52
Bearschlayerx2, Thanks for posting. I think it's consistent with the congenial nature of the Campfire to share precisely such info.
I, respectfully, disagree with GeneB. In the age of the internet and Google, only the luddites think such information is secret.
A little piece of me wants to use stronger language.

I agree, it's not secret, it's out there for anyone with enough effort to sit behind a computer to find it themselves ... so, then why do people feel the need to post it all again? Isn't there going to be enough competition without doing that?

Use your strong language if you wish, but at least use it to answer one of my questions - if you found an auction for something you were really interested in would you post it here? ...or want someone else to? Nobody has ever posted a live auction they are interested in themselves - I prefer that auctions I am going to bid on are not posted here and I do not post live auctions I am not interested in to show the same courtesy to others who have found an auction on their own and may not want it posted.

I also go one step farther, I sell occasionally on eBay and I have not, and will not, post my own auctions, I know other here that do the same. Do me one favor, if you find something at auction that you really have been looking for, and really want, post it here while live to show your own sincerity and commitment to what you say.

Gene
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I'm dead and my heirs need to sell my Shìt to pay the bills I sure hope they hire an auctioneer who will promise not to advertise the sale......
and those pesky family members better keep their mouths shut.
'Cept of course, they should tell a couple old collectors, who want to "steal shìt" from the estate....
They have my heirs best interest in mind, I'm sure.

I wonder if the old guys want all that "competition" to show up at their estate sale?
I'm betting they want everyone to "know", that day.

Have Dog

Will Travel

IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Post it all this is AMERICA freedom of speech is your right
this started with the Jed rule keep these things a secret so you can buy cheap and then sell high to your friends or the others here who would buy cheap and brag about it to drive the price of the Savage's down to their level today is a new day in AMERICA time to tell the truth as far as the price of Savage's go the sight has worked hard to drive the price of our collections down rats are great and good guns get S--- on because if I'am not willing to pay the price it has to be junk
or made up if I can't steal it I won't buy it or if it's not on paper some place it is wrong only a few here could tell a real Savage from a made up one.This was a collector sight for the good of all Savage lovers it's to bad it has come to this.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FUG1899
This was a collector sight for the good of all Savage lovers it's to bad it has come to this.

True, thats why more and more of us are hanging around the other place more often these days.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
See, this kind of arguing is what happens every time live auction information is posted.

Personally I enjoy conversations over the 1896 military trials or the peep sights that were present on 1920's (and I just noticed there were difference checkering patterns on early 1920's) and things like that rather than listening to people complain about live auctions.

In short, I don't learn anything from live auctions that I can't learn from it once it's closed. And there's a lot less drama here without the postings.

Just me. Carry on. No matter what, be thankful..

[Linked Image]

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wageslave
When I'm dead and my heirs need to sell my Shìt to pay the bills I sure hope they hire an auctioneer who will promise not to advertise the sale......

You are entitled to voice your own opinion and there is nothing stopping anyone from posting live auctions (which I think are always actually advertised somewhere else, at least I would hope so). I will bend a little with some estate auctions because I know what you are saying, but unless you know it's an estate and will benefit the heirs, you may just be helping out someone who bought out a collection from a poor widow for pennies on the dollar.

I am just voicing my opinion which I know many do not agree with. But I am not talking about when your dead, I asked one simple question about posting an auction you are actually interested in yourself, while your alive. I never seem to get someone to answer that. If you want to discuss this, answer some of my questions and give me some good reasons why I should change my opinion. You may even use strong language if you wish.

To anyone who would may feel guilty if they get a bargain, there is nothing stopping you from writing the check for a lot more! On eBay you can always edit the paypal up to what you feel you should pay. I hear more talk from people who think prices are running to high on average at many auctions than those who think they are to low. You often hear about someones bargains but very seldom something they paid to much for.

Added - Just saw some posts made while I was writing this about what the site has come to, how far back are you looking? Since I joined in 2007 the posting of live auctions has always seemed to come out about the same, in fact, to me, it seems more toned down than some in the past were.

Last edited by GeneB; 01/20/17. Reason: added note

Gene
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
In case some of you Einsteins haven't figured it out, I'm not like the rest of you. Neither is Gnoahhh. Or Norm. Or Stever. And one Joe isn't like the other Joe. But the loss of one, however different, is still a loss for the rest. Intolerance in politics is preferred for the preservation of what's right. Intolerance among friends is self defeating. If I drive a GeneB or a Calhoun off, will I be richer for it?

Why's everyone so eager to cut another down? Seems the bigger problem to me. Some of you need to get off your high horse, quit looking down your nose, and relax, enjoy the ride.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mad_dog
Originally Posted by FUG1899
This was a collector sight for the good of all Savage lovers it's to bad it has come to this.

True, thats why more and more of us are hanging around the other place more often these days.

People will be people. Prepare for it, or prepare for solitude.

LOL
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm very familiar with the venue in which those Savages will be auctioned off. It also only took me about two seconds (well, maybe three) to click on the bookmark I keep of that auction house. (The OP's location was the tip-off.) I've been there quite a few times, and have bought some interesting things. Like any auction, it's a crap-shoot whether you get a bargain or not, but they do run a clean auction. It's just that you are in a room with a couple hundred other gun-savvy guys, and auction fever happens. (O lord, how I know!) It's not like an internet auction where you can take your time and deliberate on it before raising your bid...

I was planning to attend this auction regardless. I was aware of it for a while now. If anybody wants to go along, hit me up. (I actually have my eye on a couple of non-Savage items.)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A man needs to be true to his convictions. It's what makes you who you are in this world.

A man also needs self-examination when someone points out the need for it.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fireball2
And one Joe isn't like the other Joe.

Stick with the other one, he can't see through your BS yet. wink

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Fireball2
A man needs to be true to his convictions. It's what makes you who you are in this world.

A man also needs self-examination when someone points out the need for it.

Well-said FB,
If this thread is merely tossing gasoline on a dying fire, have at it, I'm out. But if it is a examination of what works and what doesn't, in our support of Savages, and our savage support of each other, then count me in.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

721 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 1234, 10ring1, 69 invisible), 2,890 guests, and 1,508 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,736
Posts18,475,959
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.