-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Are we still talking about 'hot chambers'?

[Linked Image]

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by cooper57m
Full of crap?? Why? Steelie by his own admission doesn't trust himself to walk around with a loaded hunting rifle because he perceives himself to be a danger to himself and others. Why should someone like that be trusted with a semi-auto with a 30 round capacity? He certainly shouldn't be trusted to have a handgun (and certainly not one without a manual safety) with a round in the chamber.

Due to both the environment and terrain that I hunt (high desert to alpine transitional range), I rarely have a round in the chamber. The majority of my shots are extended, and not "quick/snap shots".

I also hunt in often very steep, mountainous, with snow and ice, scree fields, etc. slips, falls, and tumbles are not unusual. A rifle without a round in the chamber is a smart move as far as I am concerned.

If I am slipping through the northside timber, that is another story, but for the most part, I don't chamber a round until I am ready to shoot.

I must be as incompetent as Steelhead.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Full of crap?? Why? Steelie by his own admission doesn't trust himself to walk around with a loaded hunting rifle because he perceives himself to be a danger to himself and others. Why should someone like that be trusted with a semi-auto with a 30 round capacity? He certainly shouldn't be trusted to have a handgun (and certainly not one without a manual safety) with a round in the chamber.

Due to both the environment and terrain that I hunt (high desert to alpine transitional range), I rarely have a round in the chamber. The majority of my shots are extended, and not "quick/snap shots".

I also hunt in often very steep, mountainous, with snow and ice, scree fields, etc. slips, falls, and tumbles are not unusual. A rifle without a round in the chamber is a smart move as far as I am concerned.

If I am slipping through the northside timber, that is another story, but for the most part, I don't chamber a round until I am ready to shoot.

I think it makes sense that terrain and personal limitations/feelings would dictate hor or cold rifle carry.

probably if I was hunting similar terrain as you I wouldn't have a round chambered either.

and Cooper 57 is an idiot

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Steelhead
To all those guys who are afraid to walk around with a loaded gun I have the following advice: Spit out your gum! smirk

Says the gal that's askeered of 30 round magazines.

Someone like you that askeered of shooting themselves or someone else with a rifle while walking around in the woods, certainly shouldn't be trusted with a rifle with a 30 round magazine. Give a moron like you a 30 round magazine and you might just be able to hit someone. It's best that a klutz like you be limited to just 5 rounds.

So in short, you're not worried in the least about someone shooting you or you shooting someone.

Speaking of shots, shame your mom didn't catch you down her throat.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hunt hot, and safety on until there is a shot worth taking. And I still practice muzzle discipline. climbing in or out of treestands, gun is unloaded.
I have open carried while delivering pizzas, but I am new to a CCW. currently I use a revolver with one cold chamber under the hammer.

I don't care if you approve. there's a speed loader and another 50 rounds in a bag in the truck.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

I think it makes sense that terrain and personal limitations/feelings would dictate hor or cold rifle carry.

probably if I was hunting similar terrain as you I wouldn't have a round chambered either.

and Cooper 57 is an idiot

I agree with you but why can he get away with it and you question me when I am hunting in Pac NW rain forest?

As for Cooper 57, it is not because I am afraid of anything, be it hunting with a hot chamber or carrying a 30 round magazine. I just choose to be safe. My choice, no one else.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by kellory
I hunt hot, and safety on until there is a shot worth taking. And I still practice muzzle discipline. climbing in or out of treestands, gun is unloaded.
I have open carried while delivering pizzas, but I am new to a CCW. currently I use a revolver with one cold chamber under the hammer.

I don't care if you approve. there's a speed loader and another 50 rounds in a bag in the truck.

Well said, You do what works for you.

If I hunted tree stands I would go hot in the stand. I do not hunt in blinds or tree stands.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RexM
I am curious, do those that carry a round in the chamber of their handgun also carry one in their deer rifle while walking to their hunting area?....

Not usually. I have been accosted by deer while walking to my hunting area, and had not enough time to chamber a round - but its shot missed and didn't kill me. Damn stupid deer can't hit the broad side of a barn. I didn't die of starvation either. Went back to camp and cooked a hamburger.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
...Holsters won't stop bullets. I have been covered many times by people with loaded handguns who sit, bend, or turn around near me. It is the same thing.

If you want to be safe, never carry a round in the chamber of any weapon, especially handguns. There is an obvious double standard at work here, think about it.

This thread gets dumber every time I look at it.

Holsters don't stop bullets, but a proper one guards the trigger from being pressed. I challenge you to give one documented example of a properly holstered handgun in working condition that fired while in the holster.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
..... I have open carried while delivering pizzas, but I am new to a CCW. currently I use a revolver with one cold chamber under the hammer.

I don't care if you approve.....

My approval certainly means nothing. But I am curious as to what your reasoning is for the need of a cold chamber in a modern DA revolver.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Scott F
Remington 700. She took off the safety and it shot her son after going through her horse trailer.
M700.... Hmmm. 'Nuff said right thar... smile

I am curious, do those that carry a round in the chamber of their handgun also carry one in their deer rifle while walking to their hunting area?....

When it comes to the specific area I usually hunt in, damn straight.. As soon as I'm at the legal distance off the road from the truck the bolt goes up and a round goes in.. NH M70. With a proper trigger. smile

Got a nice 6-pt buck one year within 5 mns of getting on the trail.. Taking the time (and dealing with the noise) of jacking a round into the chamber woulda had that deer another 400 yards into the woods.. As it was, a quick peek through the scope to ensure there was horns, drop down to the shoulder and he went down in his tracks.. About 150 yards, give/take..

I haven't ever used a "stand" as such - just slow walk, listen, know the area well enough as to about where deer's gonna cross; then find a spot 75-100+ yards down wind and settle in.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FreeMe
..... I have open carried while delivering pizzas, but I am new to a CCW. currently I use a revolver with one cold chamber under the hammer.

My approval certainly means nothing. But I am curious as to what your reasoning is for the need of a cold chamber in a modern DA revolver.

One finger pull will advance and fire the first bullet, but if dropped on the hammer, it can not fire. I am new to CCW, and could make a stupid mistake like that. Good guns and good holsters make mistakes harder. Too bad I can't afford them yet. Currently, I have one pistol. (RG-39 Rohm). They don't have a great reputation, though this one works well. The manufacturer is out of business, and there is no testing data on a dropped gun, that I am aware of.
Nor do I have a concealment holster yet. When I have carried in the past, it was always open carry. That one cold chamber allows for an untested gun, and a possible mistake on my part. It is not a natural method of carry for me yet.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

One finger pull will advance and fire the first bullet, but if dropped on the hammer, it can not fire. I am new to CCW, and could make a stupid mistake like that. Good guns and good holsters make mistakes harder. Too bad I can't afford them yet. Currently, I have one pistol. (RG-39 Rohm). They don't have a great reputation, though this one works well. The manufacturer is out of business, and there is no testing data on a dropped gun, that I am aware of.
Nor do I have a concealment holster yet. When I have carried in the past, it was always open carry. That one cold chamber allows for an untested gun, and a possible mistake on my part. It is not a natural method of carry for me yet.

Exactly what type of revolver are we talking about? I'm assuming it's not a single action.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Exactly what type of revolver are we talking about? I'm assuming it's not a single action.

As described above. Rohm RG-39 .38 special, double action. Accurate, probably purchased a year or two before they went out of business.
Edit: https://s3.amazonaws.com/mgm-conten...1_rg_rohm_gmbh_38_special_revolv_640.jpg
Not an exact match, but close. 4" barrel.

Last edited by kellory; 01/30/17.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

As described above. Rohm RG-39 .38 special, double action. Accurate, probably purchased a year or two before they went out of business.
Edit: https://s3.amazonaws.com/mgm-conten...1_rg_rohm_gmbh_38_special_revolv_640.jpg
Not an exact match, but close. 4" barrel.

Looks like maybe it does have a hammer safety of some kind,but yeah, given the unknown quality of the gun (by what I read so far of its reputation),I'd probably carry that one with empty under the hammer too....if I carried it at all.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When I started deer hunting in the early 50's here in Michigan, almost everyone used lever action Winchesters and Marlins. The were carried hot with the hammer on half cock. I still use that kind of rifle today and wouldn't think of going into the woods with an empty chamber.

Watching some of the Alaska shows on TV and noticed they chambered a round AFTER they see an animal...BULL CRAP!, I've hunted Alaska and you DO NOT walk around in Bear country with an empty chamber...that's TV editing.

As for empty chamber on a hand gun?....you'd better have your Will made out and your Life Insurance paid up.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Maybe OK for a Revolver, But to have to monkey around working the slide on a Semi-auto, is asking for trouble. You risk a short action, thereby not getting the round in the chamber and you lose time. Both could do you in. I carry a 9MM Semi-auto hot with a thumb safety (Ambidextrious).
Can flick the safety off in a flash. Twice as quickly as working the slide and getting in the shooting position. Think about it.

Better to be over the hill than under it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rondrews
Maybe OK for a Revolver, But to have to monkey around working the slide on a Semi-auto, is asking for trouble. You risk a short action, thereby not getting the round in the chamber and you lose time. Both could do you in. I carry a 9MM Semi-auto hot with a thumb safety (Ambidextrious).
Can flick the safety off in a flash. Twice as quickly as working the slide and getting in the shooting position. Think about it.

So would I, with a semi-auto. Use of a safety on a hot gun has been ingrained since childhood, at least in long guns. Pistols were for target shooting. I hunt with slingshot, but never tried hunting with a pistol.
Good thing I can trust BLM, flash mobs, burglars, muggers, those playing the "knock out game" or the "Penguin game ", to wait while I outfit myself with the very best gear. I'm sure the machete attacker in my local restaurant, and the recent car and knife attacker at my local college, would have no problem planning thier attacks when I am better prepared. (Sarcasm).
I'll adapt as I can, but in the meantime, I'll have to use what I have.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Hunting is one thing. Getting attacked by some nut is another. You need to be instantly prepared to keep from getting killed. Any time spent between drawing, and aiming is critical. Walking around with a cold chamber is no better than walking around with an empty gun. By the time you get a round in the chamber and re-position your slide operating hand for firing, it may be too late. Handguns without a safety are fine for lying on your Nightstand, but if you are walking around with a CC in a holster or in your pocket, use a gun with a safety. It's only common sense.

Better to be over the hill than under it.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by rondrews
Hunting is one thing. Getting attacked by some nut is another. You need to be instantly prepared to keep from getting killed. Any time spent between drawing, and aiming is critical. Walking around with a cold chamber is no better than walking around with an empty gun. By the time you get a round in the chamber and re-position your slide operating hand for firing, it may be too late. Handguns without a safety are fine for lying on your Nightstand, but if you are walking around with a CC in a holster or in your pocket, use a gun with a safety. It's only common sense.

safeties on defensive handguns are dumb...1911s are best owned as range pistols

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (6mmCreedmoor, 007FJ, 35, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 12 invisible), 1,473 guests, and 864 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,311
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.