Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Dogger
Well, according to the Gospel of Speer Reloading Manual 13, "If you own a good 280, there's little reason to trade it in for any of the 7mm Magnums."

page 237.

I bought my 280 a dozen years ago, and every time I think of a 7RM I go back and read that Speer manual...

You keep reading that manual....
IMO you don't need a 7 Mag.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
HR IC

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Bugger
That's why I own three of those worthless 7mm RM's.

grin grin grin

Yeah, I've got at least 2

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tanner
With the right bullet they work okay- mine made some meat this season.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Tanner, probably missed it but 6x42 or 10x42 SWFA SS on that rifle?

X-VERMINATOR

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'm starting to wonder if a guy could just buy a 700 in 7RM, bed it into a good stock, tweak the trigger and end up with a rifle that doesn't take a back seat to anything?

Wonder if those 700's are twisted s right, throated right or have enough magazine length? Probably not.. back to the drawing board smile

If Remington could offer such a rifle, maybe bullet manufacturers would finally start making decent .284" bullets..
Sure would leave a lot of money for tags, instead of chasing the perfect build..

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by rosco1

I'm starting to wonder if a guy could just buy a 700 in 7RM, bed it into a good stock, tweak the trigger and end up with a rifle that doesn't take a back seat to anything?
"Trigger Tech" trigger assemblies are easier to replace than "Timney". but either is better than a 700, worth the money and an hour of your time for the first one.

I bought my first 7RM in 1977 and they are still exciting and fun to shoot, and my shoulder tells me they don't kick as much as is generally talked about, doesn't hurt anymore than a 30-06 or a shotgun.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rosco

Yes.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by xverminator

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Tanner, probably missed it but 6x42 or 10x42 SWFA SS on that rifle?

X-VERMINATOR

10x42.

Tanner

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

That's the route I'm headed...

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Bob...think you may have mentioned this in the past, but have you done any work in a longer lead with this cartridge?
I have one now I`m working with, Wby lead, and getting Wby velocities with it. I think the standard lead actually reduces potential velocity the case has to offer.
Thoughts?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

Something wrong with the one you've got?

Originally Posted by rosco1

Wonder if those 700's are twisted s right, throated right or have enough magazine length? Probably not.. back to the drawing board smile

If Remington could offer such a rifle, maybe bullet manufacturers would finally start making decent .284" bullets..
Sure would leave a lot of money for tags, instead of chasing the perfect build..

8# of impossible.....

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CGPAUL
Bob...think you may have mentioned this in the past, but have you done any work in a longer lead with this cartridge?
I have one now I`m working with, Wby lead, and getting Wby velocities with it. I think the standard lead actually reduces potential velocity the case has to offer.
Thoughts?

Details please,

Isn't this the issue that caused SAAMI to reduce the MAP pressure standard on the 7mm Rem

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by 16bore

Something wrong with the one you got?

Yeah.... it ain't a .270.... laffin.

Seriously though, the one I've got is brand new... only 5 rounds through it... but it does have a little blood on it already. Got it bedded in a McClassic and about to start working loads for the 162 and 175s... there's a welding mask around here somewhere....

It'll be the only rifle that goes BG hunting with me for a long while....

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Sure...more of a question on my part in doing what I`ve done.
As I mentioned here, have had a 7 Wby for a few years, really like it. Had a PAC-NOR replace the original Rem barrel, was originally a Classic, but that is a long story, but thought the lead in the Wby was a bit to much for SOME bullets. So, bought a take off 7 Rem Mag from a member here, ran the throat out to match the Wby`s. In doing so, am able to match the Wby velocites utilizing the entire Rem case capacity. I just start the load process at the starting velocities for Wby and proceed with normal work-ups. I have a load utilizing Retumbo and pushing a 160 Sierra TMK at 3190. SAFE in MY rifle...so gaining about 100fps or so. Also just tested some 175 Sierra`s at 200, excellent accuracy, have not run over the cronie.
Don`t know if this is worth it, so thought to ask Bob.
For someone who hand loads, and wants a bit more out of the old girl, might be a way to go with out changing much or costing a lot.
BTB, I do have two 700`s, one the Wby the other the Rem Mag.
Do not know about SAMMI specs, but so for no surprises.

Last edited by CGPAUL; 01/30/17.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thoughts?

Of course it does. I was doing this back in the late 1980's along with some friends. Nothing complicated here.

I used to seat a 160 NPT with its base even with the base of the 7 RM case. Used to do the same with a 180 NPT in the 300 WM.

You were basically wildcatting the case.And if you can't keep yourself out of trouble with a wild cat you have no business hand loading a factory round.

Gun writers like John Wooters advocated it. You got rid of the short OAL , the cartridge was easier to load even if you did not nudge into weatherby data.

We used 1/9 twists. They handled everything including moose and bull elk.. The rifles got hunted all over the west.

Pressure? How do I know ? Who cares? smile Whenever someone wants to dump on something someone did 30 years ago they scream.."Pressure pressure!!!!"!

Thousands of rounds,brass tossed without incident ,and dead animals galore. My last bull elk with a 7 Rem Mag was with a rifle cut wth a long throat and would not even shoot until I loaded a 160 Partition to 3080.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I bought my first one last year because I wanted the rifle and would've got it no matter the chambering. Since then, I think its the only gun that's been out of the safe. It doesn't really do anything the .270 or .30-06 won't do other than a little more bullet weight than the 270 and a little more speed than the 06, but I think its fairly similar to them in that while its probably not perfect for much its adequate for just about everything.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Thoughts?

Of course it does. I was doing this back in the late 1980's along with some friends. Nothing complicated here.

I used to seat a 160 NPT with its base even with the base of the 7 RM case. Used to do the same with a 180 NPT in the 300 WM.

You were basically wildcatting the case.And if you can't keep yourself out of trouble with a wild cat you have no business hand loading a factory round.

Gun writers like John Wooters advocated it. You got rid of the short OAL , the cartridge was easier to load even if you did not nudge into weatherby data.

We used 1/9 twists. They handled everything including moose and bull elk.. The rifles got hunted all over the west.

Pressure? How do I know ? Who cares? smile Whenever someone wants to dump on something someone did 30 years ago they scream.."Pressure pressure!!!!"!

Thousands of rounds,brass tossed without incident ,and dead animals galore. My last bull elk with a 7 Rem Mag was with a rifle cut wth a long throat and would not even shoot until I loaded a 160 Partition to 3080.

Bob:
Mine has the H&H length mag box but is throated where 3.334 is the longest that will chamber. For loony reasons that kind of bothers me, would you recommend letting the throat out or just letting it get shot out some first? Chamber seems to be really tight as it takes a good deal of finger pressure to seat a bullet in an un-sized fired case and has a good bit of neck tension when seated.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Remington? Which one did you go with? I'm thinking about just picking up a stainless SPS in 7mag and dropping it in a McMillan edge.

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Now if there was just some brass around. I've got 100 new pieces of RP that I'm skeered to load. Well, it'll cost me a coupla cheeseburgers first, but none the less...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Kelly: I'd do it and throat to the 160 AB.

Keep in mind that lighter bullets will show some jump but no big deal. Friends with Rem700 did it all the time.I used M70's.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Bob:

thank you, I've mostly been shooting the 160 partition as I'd bought a bunch because they were on sale but have planned to switch to accubonds when I run out. Planned on just sticking to 160s for everything. figure if they won't work then I really need either a bigger or smaller gun

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1badf350, 10ring1, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 58 invisible), 2,558 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,333
Posts18,487,621
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.