Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I am closely acquainted with the people who run two of the major piezo labs, which do the pressure testing for most of the handloading powders sold in the U.S. In answer to question with a slightly different context, they told me a couple of years ago that powder capacity is THE factor in how much velocity in possible in two cases of the same caliber, loaded to the same pressure.

I specifically asked whether they'd ever found any of the magic velocity some cartridge developers claim due to shoulder angle, or how long or short a case might be. The answers from both places were an emphatic no--both adding the detail that the only factor in potential velocity is powder capacity, everything else being equal. The corollary would be that larger capacity does NOT result in less velocity when cases of the same caliber are loaded to the same pressure, regardless of case shape.

Both of those labs have been running "experiments" along those lines for many years, with state of the art pressure equipment.

This makes an awful lot of sense.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 340boy
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by 222Rem
I still think you should sell that to your buddy to the West, and buy a flashy new 26 Nosler............it's SO much faster. grin

grin
You might be able to find one of those 6.5X55 Howas at Sportsman's Warehouse. Not sure you have one close by, but Boise, perhaps would have one?
And yes, I have been looking at the 26 Nosler. 264 Win, also.
cool

I just picked one up from Sportsman's for $299.

That's what I paid for mine a few weeks back. Can't hardly say 'no' to that! cool

Have you shot yours yet? If so, how did it do?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 222Rem
I still think you should sell that to your buddy to the West, and buy a flashy new 26 Nosler............it's SO much faster. grin

grin
You might be able to find one of those 6.5X55 Howas at Sportsman's Warehouse. Not sure you have one close by, but Boise, perhaps would have one?
And yes, I have been looking at the 26 Nosler. 264 Win, also.
cool

I just picked one up from Sportsman's for $299.

That's what I paid for mine a few weeks back. Can't hardly say 'no' to that! cool

Have you shot yours yet? If so, how did it do?

My Howa 1500 in 6.5x55 has a long throat, so there is a bit of freebore with lighter bullets. I shoots good, but not as good as its brothers in 6.5 Creedmoor. I like the 140 grain BT and/or Partition over H4895 in my Remington 700 Classic and Winchester/USRA 70 Fwt, but haven't found the sweet spot for the Howa yet.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
MZ5,

The reason one of the labs publishes CUP and PSI data side-by-side isn't because they're ignorant of the differences, but because SAAMI decided a few years ago to switch entirely to electronic PSI data. But so many new powders, cartridges and bullets appear constantly that pressure labs can't just retest everything in a month or two, since they're kept very busy just keeping up with new stuff. So they continue publish the CUP data, because it's still valid, even if the numbers are different.

Yes, different powders will result in different velocities in different cartridges, often enough that a "perfect" powder for a smaller round may result in slightly higher velocities than for a larger round. But that's basic stuff--that may change next week when another new powder appears that allows much higher velocities from the larger cartridge.

However, we were not discussing such powder-induced differences, but the basic overall trend in case capacity. Limited tests can also be influenced by individual barrels, which definitely can allow a smaller cartridge to reach higher velocities than a larger cartridge, but the millions of rounds and thousands of barrels used by big pressure labs would tend to even that out. Plus, there are so many powders these days that any specific advantage of one powder in a certain cartridge would almost certainly be eliminated by testing a wide variety of powders.

But since you apparently won't accept the results of two major professional labs, I'll note that Charlie Sisk, the well-known gunsmith, and I have performed quite a few experiments with his Pressure Trace that so far have confirmed their conclusions. These included rechambering the SAME barrel to different cartridges, to see what difference in pressure might result.

This was relatively easily done since Charlie's shop includes an indoor, air-conditioned benchrest room where pressure-testing (and shooting targets on an indoor 100-yard range) can be done in a controlled environment, only a few feet from his loading bench. The results of some of these tests have already been published, so I'm not going to repeat such "musings" here, but it would be relatively easy to run such test with same barrel first chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor, then rechambered to 6.5x55. However, I'm not particularly interested, since due to both the conclusions of the big labs and our own experiments, I'm sure what the results would be--and I'm sure Charlie is too.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
MZ5,

The reason one of the labs publishes CUP and PSI data side-by-side isn't because they're ignorant of the differences, but because SAAMI decided a few years ago to switch entirely to electronic PSI data. But so many new powders, cartridges and bullets appear constantly that pressure labs can't just retest everything in a month or two, since they're kept very busy just keeping up with new stuff. So they continue publish the CUP data, because it's still valid, even if the numbers are different.

Yes, different powders will result in different velocities in different cartridges, often enough that a "perfect" powder for a smaller round may result in slightly higher velocities than for a larger round. But that's basic stuff--that may change next week when another new powder appears that allows much higher velocities from the larger cartridge.

However, we were not discussing such powder-induced differences, but the basic overall trend in case capacity. Limited tests can also be influenced by individual barrels, which definitely can allow a smaller cartridge to reach higher velocities than a larger cartridge, but the millions of rounds and thousands of barrels used by big pressure labs would tend to even that out. Plus, there are so many powders these days that any specific advantage of one powder in a certain cartridge would almost certainly be eliminated by testing a wide variety of powders.

But since you apparently won't accept the results of two major professional labs, I'll note that Charlie Sisk, the well-known gunsmith, and I have performed quite a few experiments with his Pressure Trace that so far have confirmed their conclusions. These included rechambering the SAME barrel to different cartridges, to see what difference in pressure might result.

This was relatively easily done since Charlie's shop includes an indoor, air-conditioned benchrest room where pressure-testing (and shooting targets on an indoor 100-yard range) can be done in a controlled environment, only a few feet from his loading bench. The results of some of these tests have already been published, so I'm not going to repeat such "musings" here, but it would be relatively easy to run such test with same barrel first chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor, then rechambered to 6.5x55. However, I'm not particularly interested, since due to both the conclusions of the big labs and our own experiments, I'm sure what the results would be--and I'm sure Charlie is too.

Only "cubes" count in an internal combustion engine. smile Over the last 50 years I can't come close to remembering how many articles/studies I've read that came up with the same conclusion cited by Mule Deer.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
One of the pressure-lab guys even used the old internal-combustion standby, "There is no replacement for displacement!"

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
John,

How does Hornady get a significant jump in velocity at safe working pressures with their Superformance line? Hornady claims 100 to 200 fps more speed than "standard" factory ammo.

Jeff

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

My Howa 1500 in 6.5x55 has a long throat, so there is a bit of freebore with lighter bullets. I shoots good, but not as good as its brothers in 6.5 Creedmoor. I like the 140 grain BT and/or Partition over H4895 in my Remington 700 Classic and Winchester/USRA 70 Fwt, but haven't found the sweet spot for the Howa yet.

How old is your Howa 6.5x55? I read a little on them and they made some dimensional changes that were supposed to help with the accuracy. That and they put a new HACT trigger in them.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I bought it used on this site in 09/2015.

The SN is B2872xx if that helps any.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jeff,

Hornady Superformance ammo uses powders that already burn more progressively (starting out burning, then burning more rapidly as pressure rises) than most other powders, pushing the pressure peak further down the barrel.

In the factory ammo the powder is also specifically blended for a rather narrow use-range, say the .270 Winchester and cartridges of similar powder-bore ratio. They'll use another blend for the .308 Winchester and similar rounds, etc. (This is why the Superformance powder sold to handloaders doesn't result in higher velocities across the board. It's the ".30-06 blend," so won't produce the same sort of increase in, say, the .264 Winchester Magnum.)

John Steinbeck
IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L

That .30-06 blend ain't that bad in a .30-06.... smile

Haven't chronographed it, but thru my 27 inch heavy barreled '98, in '06, the SuperPerfomance 150's print 6 inches high and 3 inches right of Corelokt 150's at 300 yards. Both factory ammo.

I took a caribou just hours ago at a ranged 347 yards with a dead on + slightly high hold with Superperformance 150. The rifle is zeroed with that ammo at 300 and prints 3 shot groups at that range right at 1 inch, plus or minus.

No, the rifle is not for sale.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My money went for a 6.5-06AI.

130 Scirocco II, 3161fps with IMR 7828SSC
140g BT, 3075fps with Hodgdon H100V.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by las

That .30-06 blend ain't that bad in a .30-06.... smile

Evidently not too shabby in a 6.5 Creedmoor with 140/143 gr. bullets... wink

DF

M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I was discussing the specifics of individual cartridges and asking for tested pressures & speeds, but then you and others threw estimates and generalizations into the discussion. I acknowledged time after time that the generalization is generally correct (which strikes me as kind of the definition of a generalization?), but to show me the _specific_ data. That's because to not do so is how people who don't really grasp what they're doing go and hurt themselves by disregarding tested load data and pressure limits, searching for just a little more speed. Now you've gotten lost in the generalizations and lost sight of our initial agreement and my call for either specific test data for the combo in question, or to stick with the published test data.

Concerning the lab: I refer to the publication of 2 different PSI pressure levels for a particular cartridge, not CUP vs PSI.

Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
My money went for a 6.5-06AI.

130 Scirocco II, 3161fps with IMR 7828SSC
140g BT, 3075fps with Hodgdon H100V.

I'm with you Coyote Hunter. I have shot 6.5s for years to include a 256 Newton, a standard 6.5-06, and now a 6.5-06AI. Love the 6.5-06AI so much I am have a second one built. The first is a hunting rifle, the one being built is a an F Class target rifle.

Great case, easy to fire form and reload, and not a barrel burner. Delivers the velocities and accuracy I want with a 140gr bullet.

Barstooler

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'll stay with the little 6.5x54 [img:center][Linked Image][/img] [img:center][Linked Image][/img]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Do you know who "GS" was?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The only thing I don't know.The rifle was built by Austrian gunmaker Josef Mischitz and engraved by Austrian master Albin Obiltschnig.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Nice!

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
MZ5. I've run several- Swedes. 260s and a -308 pre 260. Creedmoor. And a 47. Also ran a TCU but that's another story.

MY Chrono confirms what Brad said. Size matters. Capacity goes up. Speed higher. Really that simple.

All else equal - i.e. Bbl length - It's all in the capacity wink

Flip a coin. Learn how to thread vitals using a proper bullet with any and carry a sharp knife. The rest is good discussion.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (007FJ, 160user, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 63 invisible), 2,656 guests, and 1,343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,948
Posts18,480,330
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.