Hop To
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by deflave

I am glad so many people leave the house only dressed in Wranglers, a button up shirt and a fugkin' cowboy hat, but I'm one of those people that does normal schit.

Around here, that is a normal person.I'm sure you would not fit in.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

...good post Travis, and excellent shooting.

I've always maintained that versatility with all of the many varied platforms/rigs is a great indicator of mastering (it's always in the present tense), the craft...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by saddlesore

I am glad so many people leave the house only dressed in Wranglers, a button up shirt and a fugkin' cowboy hat, but I'm one of those people that does normal schit.

Around here, that is a normal person.I'm sure you would not fit in.

Good.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'm getting ready to go out and eat with my wife and several other couples tonite. It's warm here and I'm not going to wear a long heavy coat, under which I could conceal a full sized pistol. I will have a 380 in my jeans pocket, and I know that at least one other man in the group will to. I will have a 9mm handgun in my car, but I do not feel inadequate packing that 380. If I was going to walk down the streets of a thug infested area, I would want something bigger that held more ammo. But, I'm not, and am not worried in the least.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I trust my life to not argue with people who carry guns and argue about bigger or better calibers!

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I can tell you how much I like the 380 , I don't even own one and haven't for many years. The Kahr P9 is as small as I want for self defense.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by T LEE
CT, Yessir, I did the bob job as I couldn't find a 432PD when I needed a pocket pistol.

Don't blame you in the least, my friend. Good work.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by jimmyp
If your CCW is a 22LR and that is all you can manage, more power too you. Those little tip up Beretta 22s were favored by people who did not have the hand strength to rack the slide. A few years back a lady near Atlanta filled a home invaders carcass with 9 22's, he made it out the front door before he died.

You miss the most important part. Did the invader rape or murder the lady in the time between catching number 9 and running out the front door? If not, she changed his channel.

I've seen enough dead people from 22lr and 380 acp to know that they both work very effectively.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My brother in law (the cop) just had a relatively short conversation with a gentleman who had intercepted a Raven 25 caliber. it took him a little while but he was dead in 5 hours, it bounced around inside and tore up enough stuff they couldn't save him. shot placement matters more than the size of the bullet.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Here are a few thoughts.

If the.380 is considered a defense round,why are not more LEO"S carrying them as their primary sidearm.

Why were a lot of the troops serving in the military complaining that the 9MM did not have the stopping power that the 45 ACP did,and wanted the govt. to at least change the criteria to a 40 S&W. Which is now being considered if not already in process. I don't remember any saying the 9mm is too much,please issue some 380's.

These two things leads me to believe that those who are in harms way do not consider the .380 as some thing to trust your life too.

Arguments were made that some responses talked about a larger framed handguns.Personally,I would not consider a .380 if it was in a full size 1922 frame even

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Here are a few thoughts.

If the.380 is considered a defense round,why are not more LEO"S carrying them as their primary sidearm.

Why were a lot of the troops serving in the military complaining that the 9MM did not have the stopping power that the 45 ACP did,and wanted the govt. to at least change the criteria to a 40 S&W. Which is now being considered if not already in process. I don't remember any saying the 9mm is too much,please issue some 380's.

These two things leads me to believe that those who are in harms way do not consider the .380 as some thing to trust your life too.

Arguments were made that some responses talked about a larger framed handguns.Personally,I would not consider a .380 if it was in a full size 1922 frame even

Your thoughts are valid, and normal for most anyone who considers carrying a firearm for personal defense. That being said, LEO's carry larger (and larger caliber) sidearms because they are required by statute to defend themselves and others, to effect arrest and engage criminals, where the average citizen is not.

The average citizen carries a firearm to protect himself and possibly his loved ones. He can turn a blind eye toward any threat as long as he and his loved ones can walk or run away from the threat. Sworn police professionals cannot do so. It may seem like a trivial difference, but it is a difference nonetheless.

I will say this, if you are compelled to carry a full sized firearm chambered for a full powered cartridge, then by all means, do so. But remember, it is folly to look down on someone who carries a 380 (or smaller) cartridge for personal defense. The cartridge kills.

Wartime military needs are very much different from the needs of everyday self defense users. But as I said earlier, if you are laboring under the conviction that you should carry a full sized and full powered handgun every day, then do so. But, remember that troops have been bitching about stopping power since the Roman Legion.

Those going into knowingly going into harm's way do not consider any handgun as something they would want to trust their life to.

The argument for a full sized 380 make no sense. The benefit of the cartridge lies in the fact that it can be chambered in firearms which can be carried concealed in pants pockets, jacket pockets and purses. If the firearms were of the same size and one is chambered for a more powerful cartridge, then obviously, the one with the more potent cartridge would be preferable.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

Why were a lot of the troops serving in the military complaining that the 9MM did not have the stopping power that the 45 ACP did,and wanted the govt. to at least change the criteria to a 40 S&W. Which is now being considered if not already in process.

People in the military wanted "more knock down power" because they are completely ignorant in terminal ballistics. Combine that ignorance with a pathetically low skill level in shooting and you get some stupid thoughts.

There are organizations that kill people every night with pistols. They use 9mm by choice.

As for 380, it has some serious issues, namely the platforms it is chambered in do not allow the shooting performance I require, even for deep CCW. The G42 is the one that comes closest and using Buffalo Bore hard cast +P ammo it offers enough penetration to make it viable for some roles- though performance will be like 9mm FMJ.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by CrazyCoot
Simple question: Would you trust your life with a .380?

I'm not interested in: if you can carry a bigger gun, then carry one. I just want to know if you, personally, would feel safe carrying a .380 only.

I sometimes trust my life with a Kel-tec 32 ACP.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

I will say this, if you are compelled to carry a full sized firearm chambered for a full powered cartridge, then by all means, do so. But remember, it is folly to look down on someone who carries a 380 (or smaller) cartridge for personal defense. The cartridge kills.

CT.I'm not knocking anyone for what ever they choose to carry. It is a decision every individual has to make themselves. The OP asked if a person would trust their life to a .380. I answered and gave reasons why I would not.Some chose to take offense at that.
Yes a .380 will kill. It is what an individual will do between the time they get shot and die that bothers me.

Last edited by saddlesore; 02/11/17.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Surely if our troops in the Middle East can work in full body armor and carry all the equipment when they are in 120-130 degree temps. Someone who is worried about their own safety can wear few more clothes.

Let me ask you a real simple question.

WTF do you wear to the beach?

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kellory
My brother in law (the cop) just had a relatively short conversation with a gentleman who had intercepted a Raven 25 caliber. it took him a little while but he was dead in 5 hours, it bounced around inside and tore up enough stuff they couldn't save him. shot placement matters more than the size of the bullet.

A man I used to work with told me the story about the time he was sitting in a café and a man walked in and shot another with a 22 pistol. The bullet hit the man in the arm, bounced off the bone, came back out the arm, and went into the man's heart. He died where he was sitting. Years ago, we had a local game warden, a nice fellow too, who had just written a Black guy a citation for fishing without a license. As the warden walked off, the Black man opened the trunk off his car, took a 22 rifle out and killed the warden with one shot. I think if it's your time to go, it's not going to matter what you're shot with.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S

Surely if our troops in the Middle East can work in full body armor and carry all the equipment when they are in 120-130 degree temps. Someone who is worried about their own safety can wear few more clothes.

Clark

Simple answer

There are no beaches close to me.I don't go to public swimming pools. I live at 7600 ft elevation. High mountain / streams were just snow 30 minutes ago.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Clark

Simple answer

There are no beaches close to me.I don't go to public swimming pools. I live at 7600 ft elevation. High mountain / streams were just snow 30 minutes ago.

That's a perfect explanation as to why carry of certain handguns works fine in some locales and not others. Where you are, carrying a .380 due to size isn't necessary. Where TLEE is, it makes a ton of sense.

Firearms are tools. Use the right one for the job and situation at hand, right?

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
What a colossal waste of time. Carry, hide/open. Who will really need a gun for defense anyhow. I learned a long time ago, it is a damn poor set of feet that will stand around and let your face get beat in!

A good pair of running shoes and a fast exit will save more lives.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Bravo. You forgot the the sarcasm face thingy.

Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 219DW, 1234, 54 invisible), 2,393 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,801
Posts18,496,290
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.