-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 32 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 31 32
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
How long after this breaks, does the left wait to blame Trump?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
I'm no fan of California, but I also hate to see people's lives ruined or lost at the expense of the idiots in charge. Kind of like the fugged up state where I live. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a good outcome.

Yeah, what he said. I have in-laws in southern CA, good people, but basically clueless about everything. Not liberal, just friggin' clueless.

They would not be effected by this, but I'd hate for anyone to get flooded out. Seen a lot of that during the '93 floods along the Missouri/Mississippi river drainage. I saw dead deer carcasses 30 feet up in the forks of tree limbs. Not a good thing for anyone, ever.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
[Linked Image]

A guy could get a lot of ducks in that hole.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
How long after this breaks, does the left wait to blame Trump?

Read back a ways,....this is all Ronald Reagan's "Fault".
....at least according to one well known lib here.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tzone
[Linked Image]

Given the absolutely SUPERB levels of material strengths and properties of materials available during construction, THAT is one PISS POOR piece of work there, my friend.
The SOB did not "fail from lack of infrastructure maintenance" as proposed by one little cheap shot sniper hiding in the weeds. Well engineered and executed structural concrete's supposed to get STRONGER for it's first century,....and epoxy coated, high tensile re-bar was an accomplished FACT of that day.

That structure was a POS the day they cut the ribbon and headed back for the whorehouse.

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
There is at least one idiot already calling for Trumps impeachment on Youtube! LMAO.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I haven't read the whole thread, but when it's man against nature, nature will always win, in the long run.

As anyone from Louisiana knows, water is one the most destructive forces in nature. As long as you can keep the flow rate down, it's just nasty. When the flow rate goes up, it get destructive, very fast. With the amount of flow they had, its a wonder it didn't do more damage.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
[Linked Image]

Given the absolutely SUPERB levels of material strengths and properties of materials available during construction, THAT is one PISS POOR piece of work there, my friend.
The SOB did not "fail from lack of infrastructure maintenance" as proposed by one little cheap shot sniper hiding in the weeds. Well engineered and executed structural concrete's supposed to get STRONGER for it's first century,....and epoxy coated, high tensile re-bar was an accomplished FACT of that day.

That structure was a POS the day they cut the ribbon and headed back for the whorehouse.

GTC

I don't see ANY rebar. Am I missing it or is it not there?

I work in this industry daily. There are a lot of things wrong with this picture.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Oldman03
I haven't read the whole thread, but when it's man against nature, nature will always win, in the long run.

As anyone from Louisiana knows, water is one the most destructive forces in nature. As long as you can keep the flow rate down, it's just nasty. When the flow rate goes up, it get destructive, very fast. With the amount of flow they had, its a wonder it didn't do more damage.

Given the extraordinary volumes expected, what's the current perspective on the Mississippi's readiness to handle the Spring Thaw ?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I work in this industry daily. There are a lot of things wrong with this picture.

It would be GREAT to see some actual close ups, wouldn't it ?

No remains of normal grouted in "bolts" angled down into bedrock, either.

GTC

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This morning the number of evacuees has been raised to 188,000.

The water level in the lake was lowered a bit over a foot overnight.

The bad news is that the Weather Service prediction for the Feather River watershed that runs into the lake is for as much as a foot of rain over the next ten days. They probably can't let water out fast enough to keep it from overflowing again in the coming two weeks.

The helicopters are flying now, dropping bags of rocks to try to strengthen the weak area around the emergency spillway.

They just announced that a train south of Roseville derailed due to water over the tracks. Many trains are now being rerouted out of the area that is or may be affected by this Oroville Dam situation.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Same "California Engineering" that gave us parking lots that are conjoined, but you can't drive from one to the other without getting back on the crowded public roads and sitting through red lights... whistle

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Actually, this is a clusterfugg caused by man...the main spillway has been damaged for a while and DWR people were well aware of it....there was never any danger of the dam nor the main spillway failing....BUT the high flows into the lake AND the damage to the lower section of the main spillway, gave them an opportunity and EXCUSE to TEST the auxiliary (EMERGENCY) spillway...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm sure a hummingbird egg leftover from last year caused the maintenance to be postponed...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I doubt that "they" deliberately created an emergency to test the emergency spillway.

I never thought to test-fire the ejection seat in my A-4 to see if it would work if I needed it to.

People who run dams love being in control. To ensure their careers they tend to be too conservative. We have always complained that the people running Shasta Dam never want the lake within 30 feet of the top, in case big, late Spring rain totals occur. They almost never happen, then we wind up looking at a big dirt ring around the lake all summer, and their isn't enough cool water for the salmon in the river downstream during the later part of the summer.

People who love being in control don't want to lose control, which is what happens when dams overflow.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
Actually, this is a clusterfugg caused by man...the main spillway has been damaged for a while and DWR people were well aware of it....there was never any danger of the dam nor the main spillway failing....BUT the high flows into the lake AND the damage to the lower section of the main spillway, gave them an opportunity and EXCUSE to TEST the auxiliary (EMERGENCY) spillway...

I saw the damaged spillway on TV. Given its location (close to the dam itself), the depth of the hole and, the velocity of the water, I think the dam could possibly collapse due to scowering of the rest of the spillway up to the dam supports. I do think the evacuation is a prudent move, give the catastrophe that will result if it collapses.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Some pics. To show scale or whatever.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I'm sure a hummingbird egg leftover from last year caused the maintenance to be postponed...

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Ah, so this picture makes more sense to me. The main spillway had damage. The emergency spillway then cut into the main spillway exacerbating the damage.

That's bad...really bad.

[Linked Image]

The California Department of Water Resources stopped the spillway flow on Thursday morning to allow engineers to evaluate the integrity of the structure after water had been released at 20,000 cubic feet per second through the night. (Courtesy of the California Department of Water Resources).

Hunt Africa while you can
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rnovi
Ah, so this picture makes more sense to me. The main spillway had damage. The emergency spillway then cut into the main spillway exacerbating the damage.

That's bad...really bad.

[Linked Image]

The California Department of Water Resources stopped the spillway flow on Thursday morning to allow engineers to evaluate the integrity of the structure after water had been released at 20,000 cubic feet per second through the night. (Courtesy of the California Department of Water Resources).

Bad indeed.. Yikes..

Only thing I ever saw close to that was back in the '70s when a town south of me got 7" of rain in about an hour.. A 2 block section of an entire STREET (sidewalk-to-sidewalk and 20+ feet deep) washed into the Mississippi..

It was incredible - but nothing like the size of the damage above.. Those residents beneath are lucky that thing didn't fail.. eek

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 9 of 32 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 31 32

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

636 members (1minute, 160user, 12344mag, 219DW, 219 Wasp, 1moredeer, 68 invisible), 2,812 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,851
Posts18,497,013
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.