M
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by djs
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
Actually, this is a clusterfugg caused by man...the main spillway has been damaged for a while and DWR people were well aware of it....there was never any danger of the dam nor the main spillway failing....BUT the high flows into the lake AND the damage to the lower section of the main spillway, gave them an opportunity and EXCUSE to TEST the auxiliary (EMERGENCY) spillway...

I saw the damaged spillway on TV. Given its location (close to the dam itself), the depth of the hole and, the velocity of the water, I think the dam could possibly collapse due to scowering of the rest of the spillway up to the dam supports. I do think the evacuation is a prudent move, give the catastrophe that will result if it collapses.

Can't happen....it rests on bedrock. and the damaged part of the spillway is a LONG ways away from not only the Dam, but the spillway gates themselves.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
That pic is of another damned dam. LOL Dammm that's a hole!

THANKS RNOVI sorry for the dumphucqktitudeness. MB

Originally Posted by rnovi
Ah, so this picture makes more sense to me. The main spillway had damage. The emergency spillway then cut into the main spillway exacerbating the damage.

That's bad...really bad.

[Linked Image]

The California Department of Water Resources stopped the spillway flow on Thursday morning to allow engineers to evaluate the integrity of the structure after water had been released at 20,000 cubic feet per second through the night. (Courtesy of the California Department of Water Resources).

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 02/13/17. Reason: DAMM

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
MB,.....THANKS for putting up all the good diagrams and photos !

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Ah, so this picture makes more sense to me. The main spillway had damage. The emergency spillway then cut into the main spillway exacerbating the damage.

That's bad...really bad.

[Linked Image]

The California Department of Water Resources stopped the spillway flow on Thursday morning to allow engineers to evaluate the integrity of the structure after water had been released at 20,000 cubic feet per second through the night. (Courtesy of the California Department of Water Resources).

No, the emergency spillway is routed through a ravine quite a ways away from the main spillway...

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Can't happen....it rests on bedrock. and the damaged part of the spillway is a LONG ways away from not only the Dam, but the spillway gates themselves.

If the quality of the "grout curtain" along said bedrock is anywhere's near as poor as the concrete work on that spillway, your faith in the integrity of the whole show may be a wee bit misplaced.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 02/13/17.

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

"A dishonest man can always be trusted to be dishonest". Captain Jack Sparrow
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Originally Posted by Oldman03
I haven't read the whole thread, but when it's man against nature, nature will always win, in the long run.

As anyone from Louisiana knows, water is one the most destructive forces in nature. As long as you can keep the flow rate down, it's just nasty. When the flow rate goes up, it get destructive, very fast. With the amount of flow they had, its a wonder it didn't do more damage.

Given the extraordinary volumes expected, what's the current perspective on the Mississippi's readiness to handle the Spring Thaw ?

It's anyone guess. First they will open the gates at Simsport and let more water down the Atchafalaya.

Then the Bonnet Carrie Spillway will be opened. This is above NO, on the river and lets fresh water into Lake Pontchatrain. Oyster fishermen hate this. Keeps NO from flooding, unless it gets really bad.

Last, if needed, they will open the gates at Morganza and flood the Atchafalaya Basin. This has only happened 2 times.

After these 3 things, you are 'out of luck'. One of these days, those things will not be enough and when it happens, 1/4 of La. will flood. It happened in '27, before the present levee system was finished. My Granddad told me about it.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Wonder why dumbF%^k jim cantori from the weather channel isn't standing in the center of it yelling and flailing his arms, in horrible danger of his life too tell people!!! fugging shaved head P O S

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hopin things work out ok for folks in that area

Ma nature, like most women doesn't always respond well to being manipulated

Good luck, maybe with a bit of that they can get some repairs made

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
The dam isn't leaking...it isn't that I have "faith in the integrity of the whole show", because this pic shows they were well aware of the damage a LONG time ago...the thing is, this was caused by the operators of the dam...they never needed to slow the releases from the main spillway...they chose instead to let the lake rise to the EMERGENCY spillway and it probably over stressed its design capabilities....notice how quickly they've lowered the level???

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
MB,.....THANKS for putting up all the good diagrams and photos !

GTC

You're welcome. Have not found any info on the work that was reported being done last night, dropping stones from the air. Hopefully they kept it carbon neutral. smile

--- Kid Rock 2022

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
That pic is of another damned dam. LOL

That's bad...really bad.

[Linked Image]

Actually, that's the current damage to the Oroville Spillway.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/12/us/california-oroville-dam-failure/index.html

Scroll down about halfway on the Cartoon News Network...it shows the comparison pix.

Hunt Africa while you can
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Holey hell dammm Sorry man! Chit - that looks badder!

Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
That pic is of another damned dam. LOL

That's bad...really bad.

[Linked Image]

Actually, that's the current damage to the Oroville Spillway.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/12/us/california-oroville-dam-failure/index.html

Scroll down about halfway on the Cartoon News Network...it shows the comparison pix.

--- Kid Rock 2022

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
They better get Peelosi, Maxine Waters and Feinstein out there to start filling sandbags.
They better fill the sandbags with them. It would be so fitting and the only thing they are good for.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by djs

I think the dam could possibly collapse due to scowering of the rest of the spillway up to the dam supports.

There should be no SCOWS anywhere near either spillway.

[Linked Image]

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That was some major h20 overflowing this past night or 2. How can the entire underside not be compromised now?? I'm surprised the whole slab didn't go.

Bet they have to darn near rebuild the whole thing.

No doubt it will be blamed on Trump!!

Godspeed recovery to those effected.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by RickyD
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
They better get Peelosi, Maxine Waters and Feinstein out there to start filling sandbags.
They better fill the sandbags with them. It would be so fitting and the only thing they are good for.

I thought CA was a very "environmentally conscious" state? There is probably an agency that would have a problem with folks throwing chit like that in the water.....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The dam isn't leaking...it isn't that I have "faith in the integrity of the whole show", because this pic shows they were well aware of the damage a LONG time ago...the thing is, this was caused by the operators of the dam...they never needed to slow the releases from the main spillway...they chose instead to let the lake rise to the EMERGENCY spillway and it probably over stressed its design capabilities....notice how quickly they've lowered the level???

I think you're really confused about what's actually going on, mate.

GTC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
...not sayin I ain't, either.

GTC

Page 10 of 32 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 31 32

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 222ND, 67 invisible), 2,324 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,674
Posts18,513,231
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.