Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 32 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 31 32
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Prayers sent for those living in the vicinity.

Looks like much will have to be done to restore the dam, whether it was long overdue or not.

GB1

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The money that was earmarked for dam maintenance is instead being spent to hire Eric Holder to combat President Trump's new policies to safeguard our nation.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Sure left a clean hole.Never seen concrete demo that clean.Where is the gnarly rebar with concrete chunks.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Right click, View image.

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Close up you can see where the rebar was pulled right out of the concrete.Damn.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fill it with epoxy. grin

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
The dam isn't leaking...it isn't that I have "faith in the integrity of the whole show", because this pic shows they were well aware of the damage a LONG time ago...the thing is, this was caused by the operators of the dam...they never needed to slow the releases from the main spillway...they chose instead to let the lake rise to the EMERGENCY spillway and it probably over stressed its design capabilities....notice how quickly they've lowered the level???

[Linked Image]

MM, I believe you are mistaken... Read this!

The initial damage to the spillway occurred Tuesday, about 3,000 feet downstream from where water enters from the lake. The water flowing out of the hole quickly turned brown with mud as it consumed trees and soil before rejoining the main channel below in a massive confluence wave that sent up clouds of mist in the tree-lined canyon.

The lake was rising at a half-foot per hour Thursday as the inflow peaked at 121,000 cubic feet per second, officials said at a news conference about a mile from the spillway. They were releasing water at about 40,000 cubic feet per second.

That’s not enough to keep the lake from continuing to rise, officials said, but is expected to keep them from having to use a nearby emergency spillway that has never been used since the dam was dedicated in 1968.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/oroville-dam-emergency-spillway-california-runoff/

Well, they were wrong and had to use the emergency spillway. Now the emergency spillway has failed and they are forced to close it to prevent possible flooding. That is why the evacuation is in order.

They have decided to open the main spillway and let the damage there continue. But opening the main spillway has lowered the water level and saved the emergency dam/spillway, for now.

At least that is my understanding.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most of those pictures of damage are from Friday or Saturday when they closed the main spillway, as was already posted in this thread yesterday. The main spillway was never the issue. The erosion of the emergency spillway is the issue. That's not what's in those pictures. You can bet the main spillway is far more damaged now than what those pictures show.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by RickyD
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
They better get Peelosi, Maxine Waters and Feinstein out there to start filling sandbags.
They better fill the sandbags with them. It would be so fitting and the only thing they are good for.

I thought CA was a very "environmentally conscious" state? There is probably an agency that would have a problem with folks throwing chit like that in the water.....
Not to worry. They are entirely composed of rank and stale hot air and nothing as valuable as chit which can grow tomatoes.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Main spillway. Couple of days ago v. today.

[Linked Image]

Carpe' Scrotum
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Min spillway erosion.

[Linked Image]

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steve

[Linked Image]

Yeah. As bad as that looks that's not even the worst problem. The hole they are worried about is on the emergency spillway.

This video shows some of the damage at the emergency spillway:
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/helicopters-to-drop-in-boulders-to-try-and-stabilize-orville-dam%e2%80%99s-emergency-spillway/vi-AAmTC8U

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]

It's abundantly clear that the failure began at a seam in the concrete, where I would bet anything that the seal had been lost and water intrusion has been allowing the rebar to rust.

Years ago, I was involved in a whistleblower event regarding a bridge that was on the verge of collapsing. My voiced concern was blown off by the controlling authority initially, with explanation that fractures in concrete were not a problem unless rebar was rusting - and rusting rebar would have to be evidenced by rust stains streaking the concrete. My follow-up photos showing the rust streaks, along with threat to go public when the bridge fails, drew immediate and dramatic positive response.

[Linked Image]

I'd bet that the photo posted above from 2013 shows when crews were out there looking at rust stains. Makes me wonder what else might not have been reported or dealt with.

Last edited by FreeMe; 02/13/17.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Min spillway erosion.

[Linked Image]

That's bunch of angry water!!! And more rains OTW. Ominous!!!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A guy might tinpan at the bottom of that and do some good. Might have turned up a few new nuggets.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FreeMe

[Linked Image]

I'd bet that the photo posted above from 2013 shows when crews were out there looking at rust stains. Makes me wonder what else might not have been reported or dealt with.

Just speaking out my ass, but I'd bet someone in charge thought, "Big deal, we're in a permanent drought now and we'll never use that spillway again".

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
A guy might tinpan at the bottom of that and do some good. Might have turned up a few new nuggets.

I thought of that, the first I heard of this.

Back in, I think it was '86, there was a flash flood event on the Feather River above Oroville. It washed out roads and stretches of railroad track, and even topped over some of the smaller dams upstream of Oroville lake. That spurred a gold rush that lasted at least a couple years there, IIRC. I don't know if any placer miners struck it rich, but judging from all the new equipment I saw in use, the prospecting equipment makers and sellers must have enjoyed a bonus.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Just speaking out my ass, but I'd bet someone in charge thought, "Big deal, we're in a permanent drought now and we'll never use that spillway again".

Probably right - especially if you add "...in my career, if not my lifetime".

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by FreeMe

[Linked Image]

It's abundantly clear that the failure began at a seam in the concrete, where I would bet anything that the seal had been lost and water intrusion has been allowing the rebar to rust.

Years ago, I was involved in a whistleblower event regarding a bridge that was on the verge of collapsing. My voiced concern was blown off by the controlling authority initially, with explanation that fractures in concrete were not a problem unless rebar was rusting - and rusting rebar would have to be evidenced by rust stains streaking the concrete. My follow-up photos showing the rust streaks, along with threat to go public when the bridge fails, drew immediate and dramatic positive response.

[Linked Image]

Looks like it may have failed from undermining. Percolation from the earthen dam created voids under the slabs.

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F

[Linked Image]

That's not from today. The main spillway hasn't stopped flowing since Friday.

Page 11 of 32 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 31 32

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

243 members (260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 204guy, 2500HD, 43 invisible), 2,233 guests, and 1,020 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,604
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.