Hop To
Page 12 of 32 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 31 32
F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
[quote=rnovi]Ah, so this picture makes more sense to me. The main spillway had damage. The emergency spillway then cut into the main spillway exacerbating the damage.

That's bad...really bad.

[Linked Image]

The California Department of Water Resources stopped the spillway flow on Thursday morning to allow engineers to evaluate the integrity of the structure after water had been released at 20,000 cubic feet per second through the night. (Courtesy of the California Department

No, the emergency spillway is routed through a ravine quite a ways away from the main spillway...

It cut a path back to the main spillway.

GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
A guy might tinpan at the bottom of that and do some good. Might have turned up a few new nuggets.

I thought of that, the first I heard of this.

Back in, I think it was '86, there was a flash flood event on the Feather River above Oroville. It washed out roads and stretches of railroad track, and even topped over some of the smaller dams upstream of Oroville lake. That spurred a gold rush that lasted at least a couple years there, IIRC. I don't know if any placer miners struck it rich, but judging from all the new equipment I saw in use, the prospecting equipment makers and sellers must have enjoyed a bonus.

1986 Yuba river Levee "broke" in Linda Ca. Some believe it was blown on purpose to save Yuba City.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

"There's no schadenfreude like Hillary Clinton schadenfreude."
- Tamara Keel
F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
These arseholes really dropped the ball with the release of information. Water started flowing over the emergency spillway at approximately 8am saturday morning. Local news agencies and "officials" covered the first hour of it then looped the same morning video of it all Saturday and into Sunday. You had to rely on people live stream from the damn to get an idea of what was really going on. You would think that if there was even a slight possibility of the emergency spillway being used(which the officials decided Thursday and Friday wasn't going to happen) for the first time EVER that they would have started to get the word out to start moving away. Instead they start running around with their f ucking heads cut off shouting it's going to fail in an hour, get out of town! Talk about a Cluster f U.K. To the umptenth degree. Heads need to roll. Piss poor management. Piss poor delivery of news. A lot of people got lucky last night.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PrimeBeef

Looks like it may have failed from undermining. Percolation from the earthen dam created voids under the slabs.

I think you underestimate the power of moving water. I think that a lot of other people who are responsible do too.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

The opening kick-off of the blame game. I knew it wouldn't take long.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
A guy might tinpan at the bottom of that and do some good. Might have turned up a few new nuggets.

Back in, I think it was '86, there was a flash flood event on the Feather River above Oroville. It washed out roads and stretches of railroad track, and even topped over some of the smaller dams upstream of Oroville lake. That spurred a gold rush that lasted at least a couple years there, IIRC. I don't know if any placer miners struck it rich, but judging from all the new equipment I saw in use, the prospecting equipment makers and sellers must have enjoyed a bonus.

Corrugated metal culverts are the places to look

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by fester
These arseholes really dropped the ball with the release of information. Water started flowing over the emergency spillway at approximately 8am saturday morning. Local news agencies and "officials" covered the first hour of it then looped the same morning video of it all Saturday and into Sunday. You had to rely on people live stream from the damn to get an idea of what was really going on. You would think that if there was even a slight possibility of the emergency spillway being used(which the officials decided Thursday and Friday wasn't going to happen) for the first time EVER that they would have started to get the word out to start moving away. Instead they start running around with their f ucking heads cut off shouting it's going to fail in an hour, get out of town! Talk about a Cluster f U.K. To the umptenth degree. Heads need to roll. Piss poor management. Piss poor delivery of news. A lot of people got lucky last night.

About 120,000 from what I read. Something like 60k made it out. Could be wrong.

Either way God Bless and save them all!!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Good shots and info.

As an aside, since that worked so well last night. laugh

Here's how Butte County CA voted 2016.

PRESIDENT/VICE PRESIDENT
Total
Number of Precincts 141
Precincts Reporting 141 100.0 %
Vote For 1
Times Counted 98879/129286 76.5 %
Total Votes 97002
Times Blank Voted 1727
Times Over Voted 150
Number Of Under Votes 0
TRUMP/PENCE 45144 46.54%
CLINTON/KAINE 41567 42.85%
JOHNSON/WELD 4625 4.77%
STEIN/BARAKA 2594 2.67%
LA RIVA/BANKS 501 0.52%
Write-in Votes 2571 2.65%

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 02/13/17. Reason: moBS

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

*Most* merchants have made more money than *most* miners.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by byc
Originally Posted by fester

About 120,000 from what I read. Something like 60k made it out. Could be wrong.

Either way God Bless and save them all!!

Safe for now, I heard there was more rain headed that way.

God help them.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

673 Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I hope everyone is getting out of the way, knowing people, some wont.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steve
Main spillway. Couple of days ago v. today.

[Linked Image]

It's abundantly clear that the failure began at a seam in the concrete, where I would bet anything that the seal had been lost and water intrusion has been allowing the rebar to rust.

Years ago, I was involved in a whistleblower event regarding a bridge that was on the verge of collapsing. My voiced concern was blown off by the controlling authority initially, with explanation that fractures in concrete were not a problem unless rebar was rusting - and rusting rebar would have to be evidenced by rust stains streaking the concrete. My follow-up photos showing the rust streaks, along with threat to go public when the bridge fails, drew immediate and dramatic positive response.

Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner

[Linked Image]

I'd bet that the photo posted above from 2013 shows when crews were out there looking at rust stains. Makes me wonder what else might not have been reported or dealt with.

Looks like it may have failed from undermining. Percolation from the earthen dam created voids under the slabs.

Did you see the some of the faulting lines in the over thrust in the formation immediately below that hole ?
Percolation dittos, with a probable grout curtain problem contiguous.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
So, is it going to fail right now?
Or is the danger over until more storms?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ho Li Phuoc, what a mess!

Somebody sure 'nuff screwed up while traveling down the design/construction/maintenance highway.

For what it might be worth to curious minds:

100,000 cfs = ~750,000 gallons/second

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I think you underestimate the power of moving water. I think that a lot of other people who are responsible do too.

This is the principal behind "Digger Dams", which I will be using on my hunting property hopefully this spring. Cut and leveled tree trunks, set into the slope, cause the cascading water to dig out the downhill side. This creates ponds. I hope to have 4 or 5 in series in the same gulley. This will privide standing water for game, where there is now only watershed.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kellory

This is the principal behind "Digger Dams", which I will be using on my hunting property hopefully this spring. Cut and leveled tree trunks, set into the slope, cause the cascading water to dig out the downhill side. This creates ponds. I hope to have 4 or 5 in series in the same gulley. This will privide standing water for game, where there is now only watershed.

Yes, that is probably what made the big hole. But my point was more about how that hole didn't need to be there for hydraulic forces to rip away the concrete skirt once the rebar had failed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've yet to SEE any rebar, myself.

You ?

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks like plain concrete slope paving. Probably has wire mesh...
Done quite a few channel linings that way.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
Page 12 of 32 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 31 32

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

680 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 06hunter59, 12savage, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 64 invisible), 2,989 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,642
Posts18,512,331
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.