Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 19 of 32 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 31 32
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Crossfire,

I believe you have a pretty good handle on how to go about such things.

Whats amazing to me is how the wizards of smart are consistently wrong !

Liberals are plain dangerous, whether it's our infrastructure our economy or foreign policy.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
BTW cross, you've been nailing it.

Thanks, .....damn sure took a while to figure the thing out, though.
Just grabbed this phoucen jewel off a news site

By late Sunday night, water from Lake Oroville was no longer rushing over the top of the dam’s emergency spillway, thanks to efforts by California water authorities to increase the flow of water out of the reservoir. But the spillways sustained damage during Sunday’s flooding. Officials are attempting to measure ...

DEFINES the root of this problem,....these idiots actually THINK they have "authority" over this, and other primordially forced events.
Us ?.....mushrooms, ....feed 'em schidt and keep em' in the dark.
GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'll be dammed! THNX

Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Studying this:

[Linked Image]

And This:

[Linked Image]

After reading this:

According to available geological maps, the Oroville Dam is build on the Smartville ophiolite, consisting of dark grey, steeply-dipping and strongly foliated metamorphic rocks. Once of volcanic origin, erupted in an ancient sea, the rocks were uplifted and metamorphosed during the formation of the Sierra Nevada.
This description seems to match the rocks visible in published photos of the main spillway damage. Some comments have also suggested that the first hole in the main spillway developed above an altered zone of rock, as its more brownish coloration would suggest. Altered rock is more permeable and prone to erosion than massive rock. It's possible that water infiltrated below the concrete of the spillway, eroding the weakened rock until the concrete collapsed into the forming sinkhole. Which means that now running water can directly erode the bedrock, causing more damage (this possible explanation can however only be confirmed by a direct investigation of the exposed rocks).

Metamorphic rocks often cause engineering problems, as such rocks are often folded, resulting in tectonized/fractured areas in an otherwise stable rock mass. Also, the particular structure (the geological correct term is texture) of such rocks poses a problem. Metamorphic foliation forms when elongated or plate-shaped minerals (like micas) are forced by tectonic pressure into a same alignment. Between the minerals the parallel surfaces of the foliation form weak zones, prone to break. If such surfaces are tilted entire packets of rock can easily slip and be washed away by water.

FINALLY gives one the idea of what's in play here,....after days of listening to distorted sound bytes, and listening to talking heads blither mutilated notes provided by panic stricken "Water managers"

GTC

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have to admit I am a bit puzzled by the authorities there letting some of the residents return to the area?
Maybe I'm missing something?

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I DO believe that the flat red oxide colored surface visible in the lower right central portion of the pic IS the core / headwall of whatever the hell that's supposed to be.
....a "spillway", emergency or otherwise, it sure as hell AIN'T,....

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by szihn
So we have to ask why Kalifornia has spent so many billions of dollars on funding illegal invading aliens and "Social justice causes[/b]", and let their infrastructure decay. If the state government had spent 1/10 as much of their tax moneys on improvements and maintenance over the last 30 years as they have spent on funding invaders, I'd bet these things would not be nearly as threatening as they are.

Just a guess....but worth looking at.

Would that help now?
NO! You can't change the past.

But in the near future, about 200,000 displaced people might be a formidable coalition to start to fix their communist government for the better.

Few things will make people get interested in politics as much as loosing their homes and lifetime investments--- [b]because of political agendas they formerly didn't resist or pay attention to.

infrastructures dont VOTE!

Last edited by keith_dunlap; 02/15/17.

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Greg,
It looks more like a giant sinkhole to me. God help those people.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Just a "quick reply"...not to anybody in particular...I'll make a prediction,...... that once the waters recede, we'll see that not only wasn't the main spillway ever in danger of being compromised, but the "emergency" spillway wasn't either...that the erosion we're seeing from the emergency spillway was expected and a concrete apron for the runoff had been proposed years ago. I'm seeing so much misinformation about this it blows my mind....earlier in this thread someone even suggested the laws of physics were reversing the flow of water into the river below and clogging turbines....crazy schitt...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I DO believe that the flat red oxide colored surface visible in the lower right central portion of the pic IS the core / headwall of whatever the hell that's supposed to be.
....a "spillway", emergency or otherwise, it sure as hell AIN'T,....

GTC

Crossfire, that red oxide you are looking at is soil.
The area has red soil.

PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Condensed version

.I'll make a prediction,...... that once the waters recede, we'll see that not only wasn't the main spillway ever in danger of being compromised, but the "emergency" spillway wasn't either...blah , blah, blah, etc....crazy schitt...

yes, there certainly is some crazy schitt audible this AM

whistle

IC B3

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by BMT
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Are the almost 200,000 people still being kept away? I'm guessing it will not be the last time this spring.

Evacuation is changed to a warning -- down from an order

They can go home

And the waterfowl?

Have the mallards gotten the green light yet?

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
They really lucked out with the break in the weather.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 340boy
Greg,
It looks more like a giant sinkhole to me. God help those people.

FLAT perfectly sloped soil after a torrent carved that hole,...nope, the triangular shaped sloped material is a CONCRETE structure, mate. looks to be where it ends,
...that or some of it's GONE.

TC

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Condensed version

.I'll make a prediction,...... that once the waters recede, we'll see that not only wasn't the main spillway ever in danger of being compromised, but the "emergency" spillway wasn't either...blah , blah, blah, etc....crazy schitt...

yes, there certainly is some crazy schitt audible this AM

whistle

grin.....Ok...I'll bump this thread back up after the waters recede whether I'm right or wrong....I MAY be wrong, but I don't think so...You gotta admit though....that gem about water and debris flowing back upstream to clog the turbines was pretty funny....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
that gem about water and debris flowing back upstream to clog the turbines was pretty funny....

Funny ?
You really ARE a bit lost as regards some pretty BASIC hydraulics, aren't you.

You ever seen the bouyed "chain curtains" that are hung in front of the turbine discharges at MOST hydro dams ?
Worked on them during emergency shutdowns to clear logs that made it over a spillway
.....and then were SUCKED back up stream by the vortices ?
soaked to the bloody bone and freezing your nuts off while trying to wield a heavy exothermic torch ?

I doubt it,.....

Maybe you oughta' grab your stash and head for Oroville to calm everybody with your nonsense, it's not going to sell well here, Bud.

GTC

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Yeah, if he thinks sheit can't go back the other way, he ain't been around water much.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
An entire army of degreed engineers isn't worth what one man with common sense AND intelligence, that knows how and why things work the way they do.

That application of common sense and intelligence ought to be the most important part of an engineer's license test.

But, it's a hard thing to put into an examination.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Yeah, if he thinks sheit can't go back the other way, he ain't been around water much.

Well, you of all people would have a damn good feel for that.

Dealing with the off the wall crap that turns up on these threads is truly a character development exercise.

I just get sorely PISSED at having third grade level child-speak thrown at me by these "media" types,....as noted the distillation of complete gibberish handed them by factotums that are paid , VERY well paid to behave and speak as scientists,.....not a herd of azz covering political bag lickers.
This all becomes REALLY important , now that we begin looking inward at our infrastructure,....a "test case" as it were.
The original prints for the contracts let on this dam reside somewhere,....let's hope they don't get "destroyed by mildew and mold" the way the ones for the Nimitz Freeway so conveniently were.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 02/15/17.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by szihn
So we have to ask why Kalifornia has spent so many billions of dollars on funding illegal invading aliens and "Social justice causes", and let their infrastructure decay. If the state government had spent 1/10 as much of their tax moneys on improvements and maintenance over the last 30 years as they have spent on funding invaders, I'd bet these things would not be nearly as threatening as they are.

Just a guess....but worth looking at.

Would that help now?
NO! You can't change the past.

But in the near future, about 200,000 displaced people might be a formidable coalition to start to fix their communist government for the better.

Few things will make people get interested in politics as much as loosing their homes and lifetime investments--- because of political agendas they formerly didn't resist or pay attention to.

The counties in trouble voted red. Hell most of Northern California above sac and the gay area is red.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by fester
I guess you need to open your cum dumpster again and clarify your comment.

Probably a regional thing but you should know that most men don't use their mouths for that.

Be sure to floss.

Thanks,
Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 19 of 32 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 31 32

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

680 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 117LBS, 10Glocks, 70 invisible), 2,974 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,642
Posts18,512,297
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.