Page 22 of 32 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 31 32
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by FreeMe
The spillway is part of the dam

At the top, it is.

Cross - what I have read is that core samples showed that bedrock begins 30' below the emergency spillway. It is expected that erosion would undercut the concrete apron to that point in short order, but then stop or be significantly slowed.

I should have worded it differently. Just saying that the auxiliary is connected to the dam, which some said it isn't. Sure it's not part of the concrete dam, but an earthen dam is still a dam.

Oh the aux. No - that is on the ridge next to the dam. That ridge was there before the dam was built.

Ridge in background...

[Linked Image]

Last edited by FreeMe; 02/15/17.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Originally Posted by 340boy
Greg,
It looks more like a giant sinkhole to me. God help those people.

FLAT perfectly sloped soil after a torrent carved that hole,...nope, the triangular shaped sloped material is a CONCRETE structure, mate. looks to be where it ends,
...that or some of it's GONE.

TC

I've lost track - which photo are you speaking of?

Oh - this photo?...

Studying this:

[Linked Image]

How about another angle?

[Linked Image]

That ain't no core.

These photo's are of the same hole. The people are standing on a eroded roadbed, not at the base of the spillway headwall

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Been years since I calculated hydraulic pressures for x feet deep water, and never have designed a dam.

It's certainly possible the outflows could be too high to control, and cause flooding downstream. especially if part of the emergency spillway breaks loose, and lets more water over the dam unexpectedly.

But the whole dam fail and let a 700 foot wall of water loose? I don't see that happening.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

At the top, it is.

Cross - what I have read is that core samples showed that bedrock begins 30' below the emergency spillway. It is expected that erosion would undercut the concrete apron to that point in short order, but then stop or be significantly slowed.

I should have worded it differently. Just saying that the auxiliary is connected to the dam, which some said it isn't. Sure it's not part of the concrete dam, but an earthen dam is still a dam.

EXACTLY,....the entire length of that face, whether the "actual dam" or the "Ridge" should be tied together on a linear axis AND vertical or angular axis) with MASSIVE high tensile cable, rebar, grouted in anchors,....let me add "rustproof,....e,g. Epoxy or Hot dipp galvy,.....and said tie entombed in some volume of erosion proof overburden.

not there, .....is it ?

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

At the top, it is.

EXACTLY,....the entire length of that face, whether the "actual dam" or the "Ridge" should be tied together on a linear axis AND vertical or angular axis) with MASSIVE high tensile cable, rebar, grouted in anchors,....let me add "rustproof,....e,g. Epoxy or Hot dipp galvy,.....and said tie entombed in some volume of erosion proof overburden.

not there, .....is it ?

GTC

But then it wouldn't be an earth-fill dam. wink Not arguing that point...at this point.

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

At the top, it is.

Oh the aux. No - that is on the ridge next to the dam. That ridge was there before the dam was built.

Ridge in background...

[Linked Image]

So if you remove that ridge, lake level will not change?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

At the top, it is.

And as such, from the day it is constructed it is looking for a chance to fail (although not with the fervor of a levee).

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

At the top, it is.

Ridge in background...

[Linked Image]

So if you remove that ridge, lake level will not change?

I never said that. Just that the material under the aux is not earth fill. It's (apparently) 30' of whatever was already there over bedrock. That first 30' - nobody expects that to last long.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You fellas are right about that hole by the road,....there's another deep hole further out that spill wall, and I figured THAT was what the enlarged showed.

Once again,....SMALL beer within the context of the geo-morphology of that "ridge".

Calling that crap, "Bedrock" is a travesty,...

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You fellas are right about that hole by the road,....there's another deep hole further out that spill wall, and I figured THAT was what the enlarged showed.

Once again,....SMALL beer within the context of the geo-morphology of that "ridge".

Calling that crap, "Bedrock" is a travesty,...

GTC

Kinda doubt that any of what we are seeing under the aux is bedrock - yet. I know that the other end of the dam is very much against solid bedrock. Seen it from the inside. Supposedly, they took core samples on the spillway side, but I have no idea how extensive or complete to information that provided. I don't think I;d want to lay all my hopes on erosion stopping at 30' - but that seems to be the accepted wisdom there.

Interesting propaganda video here....

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/infrastructure/a25209/oroville-dam-sunny-future/

IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Is the Golden Gate Bridge in danger? All that water ends up in SF Bay, so if enough dams let out too much it should overwhelm the bay.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Have you READ the geo-morphology eval and classification that I posted about this "Bedrock ?"

GTC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kennyd
Is the Golden Gate Bridge in danger? All that water ends up in SF Bay, so if enough dams let out too much it should overwhelm the bay.

Not hardly.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For me a relevant question is did they extend the base of both spillways to bedrock?

Not sure if they have disclosed that?

If both spillways are anchored to the bedrock with the method Greg explained earlier they have a chance even if the soil erodes around them?

And yes Steelhead, technically the "ridge" is acting as part of the dam.
The ridge goes and so does lake water.

Spillway and or ridge failure will result in approximately the top 30 feet of the reservoir spilling down the valley, that's a chitload of water.

The dam itself failing is a bigger disaster with the entire contents of the reservoir fooding down the valley.
The dam appears sound at this point.

And to be clear for people who haven't been following this, the spillway is not on the earth filled main dam.
Many dams have the spillway on the face, this one does not.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So - this info they're putting out about 30' to the bedrock meaning only a 30' wall of water would imply that the concrete emergency "spillway" - which is, in fact, at least on the south end, actually a section of dam itself (because of the natural slope in that direction)...is embedded directly upon bedrock. I guess. Or not....

Fester has reasons to be worried. Someone is downplaying this for sure.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rather than looking at this as a place to vent, fling schidt, we should be taking the LONG view at this and asking,....do we WANT to continue to trust the "leadership" and "authority" emanating from Sacramento California ?

Do you want to DEFEND this kind of blatantly stupid, "engineering?".... or see the end of it's era ?

This infrastructure restoration,repair,remediation is going to be a hot button issue.

Look at some of the stupidity ALREADY being posted by left-lib media about how this illustrates why Trump's initiative HAS to fail, fer chrissake.

GTC

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 02/15/17.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So - this info they're putting out about 30' to the bedrock meaning only a 30' wall of water would imply that the concrete emergency "spillway" - which is, in fact, at least on the south end, actually a section of dam itself (because of the natural slope in that direction)...is embedded directly upon bedrock. I guess. Or not....

The 30' wall of water would be if the dam was filled to top and the 30' cap of the emergency spillway failed.

What isn't being addressed is the failure of the main spillway, a failure that is well below the top of the dam and if that failure led to the dam failing at that level...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

The 30' wall of water would be if the dam was filled to top and the 30' cap of the emergency spillway failed.

What isn't being addressed is the failure of the main spillway, a failure that is well below the top of the dam and if that failure led to the dam failing at that level...

No, I think you're mistaken.
The concrete apron of the emergency spillway abuts the main spillway, and appears to be close to the depth of the main spillway. Whether it allows water to spill over clear up to the main spillway is unclear to me, but if that concrete apron lets go, along with whatever erosion follows, it will be just as bad.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I'll tell you what,....you knock a hole 3' wide at the top of that miserable joke, and watch just how quickly that 30' for the full width goes away,....and the presumption that all will be well in la-la engineering land and loss of the ridge line will stop there is just that,....presumption.
Picture the 30 feet gone, and then ponder the phenomena called CAVITATION.

GTC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I'll tell you what,....you knock a hole 3' wide at the top of that miserable joke, and watch just how quickly that 30' for the full width goes away,....and the presumption that all will be well in la-la engineering land and loss of the ridge line will stop there is just that,....presumption.
Picture the 30 feet gone, and then ponder the phenomena called CAVITATION.

GTC

Absolutely.

Page 22 of 32 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 31 32

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

58 members (10Glocks, 907brass, Algotguns, Akhutr, 358wsm, 10 invisible), 1,422 guests, and 795 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,926
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.