Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 23 of 32 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 31 32
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Originally Posted by FreeMe
So - this info they're putting out about 30' to the bedrock meaning only a 30' wall of water would imply that the concrete emergency "spillway" - which is, in fact, at least on the south end, actually a section of dam itself (because of the natural slope in that direction)...is embedded directly upon bedrock. I guess. Or not....

Fester has reasons to be worried. Someone is downplaying this for sure.

The 30' wall of water would be if the dam was filled to top and the 30' cap of the emergency spillway failed.

What isn't being addressed is the failure of the main spillway, a failure that is well below the top of the dam and if that failure led to the dam failing at that level...

Yup, a 10X and right on the money

again, think cavitation

That headwall and grout curtain are ONLY valid with OVERBURDEN holing em' down.

Last edited by crossfireoops; 02/15/17.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Scout swims very well but just in case ...

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Here is a link to historic pictures when they built the damn.

As you can see the areas that are eroding, don't seem to have been re-enforced, so they could basically result in an new channel right around the existing damn.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/multim...ia-Water-Reservoir-Photos-413590093.html

Last edited by Spotshooter; 02/15/17.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Teton Dam was not even close to full when it failed...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Different causes there though. Nothing to do with the spillway. IIRC, erosion didn't begin at the top.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

Here is a link to historic pictures when they built the damn.

As you can see the areas that are eroding, don't seem to have been re-informed, so they could basically result in an new channel right around the existing damn.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/multim...ia-Water-Reservoir-Photos-413590093.html

That's the rub,....lose 30', and that whole schitaree below's likely to go away, too.

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here's a good one from the link Spotshooter posted.

[Linked Image]

It seems to me like they're blowing away the "bedrock" with just a firehose or ...

Maybe they're just cleaning it up a bit. smile

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Rather than looking at this as a place to vent, fling schidt, we should be taking the LONG view at this and asking,....do we WANT to continue to trust the "leadership" and "authority" emanating from Sacramento California ?

Do you want to DEFEND this kind of blatantly stupid, "engineering?".... or see the end of it's era ?

This infrastructure restoration,repair,remediation is going to be a hot button issue.

Look at some of the stupidity ALREADY being posted by left-lib media about how this illustrates why Trump's initiative HAS to fail, fer chrissake.

GTC

GTC

I have a feeling that this is not the only spot in America failing due to negligence among other things. America in general needs a good overhaul.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by fester
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Rather than looking at this as a place to vent, fling schidt, we should be taking the LONG view at this and asking,....do we WANT to continue to trust the "leadership" and "authority" emanating from Sacramento California ?

Do you want to DEFEND this kind of blatantly stupid, "engineering?".... or see the end of it's era ?

This infrastructure restoration,repair,remediation is going to be a hot button issue.

Look at some of the stupidity ALREADY being posted by left-lib media about how this illustrates why Trump's initiative HAS to fail, fer chrissake.

GTC

GTC

I have a feeling that this is not the only spot in America failing due to negligence among other things. America in general needs a good overhaul.

Hmmm, seems like some guy that's been in the news a lot lately has been saying this very thing for about a year or so.
Time to either eliminate the free life or do work for it/them.
More of this IS going to happen if we don't start doing major infrastructure work.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by FreeMe

Different causes there though. Nothing to do with the spillway. IIRC, erosion didn't begin at the top.

Could not have been erosion from the top because the dam was not close to full. Water made its way through the earthen fill dam and cavitated some hellacious holes pronto.

The Oroville Dam could fail in essentially the same way if water makes it through the "bedrock."

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"bedrock"

Glad to see you putting that in quotes,...and dead certain that with the project at completion seeing available funding (to steal) available, some serious stabilization of a very poor that was probably called out on the original prints was bypassed, omitted, lied about, and swept under the rug.
...and again, witness the Nimitz Freeway for the same ethical code failures.

GTC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by fish head
Here's a good one from the link Spotshooter posted.

[Linked Image]

It seems to me like they're blowing away the "bedrock" with just a firehose or ...

Maybe they're just cleaning it up a bit. smile

They're prepping it for an acid wash, and some gunnite, prior to starting a big pour.

Man, the shots of those boys cad welding that humongous rebar brings back a memory or two. No masks, ....get er' done and have a smoke,....kaff, kaff, kaff,... grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yup, and people do not realize how lucky folks were the Teton Dam collapsed while being filled instead of 130' below the top. The next 100' was a Hell of a lot more water than the first.

There was also similar "bedrock" there that was the problem. And it was volcanic tuff as I recall with better properties than foliated basalt.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Could not have been erosion from the top because the dam was not close to full. Water made its way through the earthen fill dam and cavitated some hellacious holes pronto.

Art....the water would never have flowed out of the emergency spillway if the lake weren't full...and the lake would have never completely filled if the DWR people hadn't cut the flow back on the main spillway from the 90K + CFS they were releasing prior to the decision to cut the flow and try out the emergency spillway. On top of it all, I seriously doubt the "EMERGENCY" spillway was designed to operate with the main spillway gates over half way closed.

Follow the money...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
volcanic tuff as I recall with better properties than foliated basalt.

You'd have to work hard to find a much WORSE material than foliated basalt with all that schist the "foliant" for a subgrade / anchor point.
This on a heavily faulted tectonic zone ? crazy

GTC

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Just a question to ponder. At some point this discussion is all about money.

Could the dam have been built "better"? Sure. At what price?

It's easy to armchair quarterback this 40 years later. At the time this dam was being built I'm sure it was millions over budget and people were screaming and ranting to stop the pointless expenditures.

The Sierra Club and other organizations stated that there was a need to do certain things - like concrete over the entire top/pathway of the emergency spillway. I'm sure that would have only added another $25mm (*in 1967 dollars) to the project. That's money the state really didn't have at the time.

At some point, we have all been faced with the money vs. quality aspect of things. Maybe it was personally (*could have installed the better grade vinyl windows...) or professionally (*maybe hired a better worker). No matter, at some point, it's a balancing act.

Today, the issue is the mismanagement of letting the water get so high that the spillway needed to be used. That's certainly worth discussion. We had means to mitigate risk and that wasn't done. That's still the answer I want to hear about. Maybe I missed the answer...so if someone has it I'd like to know.

The rest of this...blaming the past and armchair quarterbacking things...isn't really helping the case of the present. A Sikh mosque opening their doors to people for shelter, that's a worthy thing. People coming together in a time of need is worthy of discussion.

Let's not squander a moment to bring a divided state (*and country) together. This disaster is a chance to bring us together.

Consider taking a moment to inventory your home...and think "if the dam does break, I can give the following to the people in loss".

Hunt Africa while you can
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
....and a whiff of patchouli oil floats by on the breeze, while in the backround, Hari Krishna's yodel, accompanied by drums and tambourines.

GTC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can guarantee if the dam fails, whatever money was saved by building it almost good enough, and maintaining it almost good enough will be several orders of magnitude shy of the cost of the devastation.

Probably sufficient to bankrupt the already teetering California government mismanagement.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by rnovi
Just a question to ponder. At some point this discussion is all about money.

Could the dam have been built "better"? Sure. At what price?

It's easy to armchair quarterback this 40 years later.

How much has been spent on Jerrys bullet train??? Or his giant water tunnels??? There are priorities...then there are priorities...

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by fester
...America in general needs a good overhaul...ENEMA

Fixed it.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Page 23 of 32 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 31 32

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 67 invisible), 2,526 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,808
Posts18,477,556
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.