Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
That is the nice thing about living up here.

We have to be told when such crashes happen. Never noticed the last one.

I am MAGA.
GB4

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by 30338
The DOW will hit 30,000 and then there will be a modest pullback to 27,000. Just not sure when it will happen.

Depends on Yellen and that Fed. Oh, as goes Jan so goes the year. grin

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
So, on the day Trump was sworn in, I raised my 401k contribution by 3% but I'm invested pretty moderately. Like right in the middle between low risk and high risk and I just let them manage it. The ROI isn't that great.

I've been thinking that I should change that to a little riskier to capitalize on the gains but thought that might be stupid because I would be buying high. (If you can't tell by now, I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to this stuff)

So, should I wait for it to come down before making a move or do it now and get in on whatever gains are to be made in 2017?

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by byc
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Commodities are already low.

Buyers market....

Spent $30k on cows last week.

That's a lot of hamburgers. You got my vote!!!!! grin

there is a ranch to the north of me, they are on the net. they allow people for a price to pick fruit in season. They also raise contented range grass cows, no additives.
works out to about 8.95 a pound, quarter is about 600 to 800.
is delivered to a central point in phx once a week.
i thinks they gots a good idea.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Try bogleheads.org. You can get a ton of help on there with your asset allocation. They are about long term investments, low cost index funds, staying the course, not trying to market time, and minimizing taxes. You won't get rich quick following their advice but you will beat most financial advisors.

As for the next bubble I don't know. But hopefully soon so I can buy more of the market at low prices.

Regards, Branden

IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
We have 8 good years ahead of us, maybe more.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Risk no more than you can afford to lose..

OK for the market savy to disagree.

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rooster7
So, on the day Trump was sworn in, I raised my 401k contribution by 3% but I'm invested pretty moderately. Like right in the middle between low risk and high risk and I just let them manage it. The ROI isn't that great.

I've been thinking that I should change that to a little riskier to capitalize on the gains but thought that might be stupid because I would be buying high. (If you can't tell by now, I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to this stuff)

So, should I wait for it to come down before making a move or do it now and get in on whatever gains are to be made in 2017?

Trading within one's 401(k) is like a bar of soap . . . the more you handle it the smaller it gets! wink

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
There is no way to know if we are near a bubble or not. If Trump gets rid of regulations, we will see stocks continue. Mentally I think we are entering a greedy stage . The fear is way down. When the greed gets high it will correct. Seems lots of people getting into the market out of excitement and this happens all the time. When they are done getting excited and have no more money to put in, there will be the stall, then the fall because of fear. I am letting my mutual funds and ETF's get to be 1 yr old so they go long term capital gains and then I am going into more conservative stocks that are way down on their 52 week low/ high. If it corrects, I believe those stocks that are down will correct less. If the market goes through the roof , I believe those down stocks will outperform. Just make sure they are good companies. And yes OKIE, I have noticed when I trade a stock or fund I am mad at or has not done well, I dell it , and then it goes up more times than not. It is a mystery to me why. My new philosophy is unless there is a very compelling reason to sell one and buy another, leave it sit.

Last edited by ihookem; 02/21/17.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Kreskin

He's amazing!

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Slow and steady wins the race it seems.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oakster
Slow and steady wins the race it seems.

Exactly. Blue Chips, slow and steady!

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Find and read the Wall Street Journal article about the man who manages the Nevada pension fund and do what he does. Namely, put your money in and then resist the temptation to make frequent adjustments. He blows away most of the professional fund managers by not kneejerking to every hitch in the market.

Buy stocks in companies or indexes of companies that actually produce something and generate revenue and margins, and trust that they will rise over the long haul.

Last edited by tominboise; 02/21/17.

Regards,

Tom
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The cliche is that bull markets climb a wall of worry and bear markets ski down the slope of hope.

We had a crappy economy and a crappy president the last 8 years and the market has tripled. People either would not buy or went short because of it and were relentlessly squeezed by funds flush with free cash from zirp as well as companies buying back stock with free borrowed money. The wall of worry was built by the crappy economy which caused the central banks to flood the world with money thus providing rocket fuel for the bulls. This market has killed more bears than Davy Crockett and Daniel Boone put together.

What if Trump is actually a great President and his policies succeed? Govts stop printing money and loaning it to companies for free to buy back their stocks because conditions will have improved or maybe they just want to eff Trump. Earnings improve and catch up to what has been priced in. EVERYONE finally gets bullish....but rates rise and other investments offer competition to stocks. The smart money FINALLY gets to sell to mom & pop who have avoided the market the entire up cycle. Bears are extinct. The market tops and goes down. People who have profited from buying the dip do it again but it doesn't work. The market will look "cheap". They say "but great earnings, but Trump" and stay in as the market skis down the slope of hope and history repeats. A few smart bears will make a great amount of money very quickly....probably George Soros if he ain't dead by then.

I figure it will play out something like this but no one really knows exactly how or when until its in the rearview mirror.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

V
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
V
[b][/b]
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by EdM
It was to have happened annually for the past six years from what I gather here.

Obama kept things propped up with devious methods.

Conservatives are much more likely to just let the chips fall where they may.

Obama and the Federal Reserve.

V
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by 65BR
Who wants to guess when it pops and how low it goes?

According to Yogi Berra "It's hard to predict things, especially when it's about the future".

Last edited by victoro; 02/22/17.
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good pearls and feedback. No doubt it's anyone's guess and who has a crystal ball? Yet it's been a long run and a lot of financial engineering as many would say. The Fed/Central Bank and Yellen indeed hold many cards, and whoever controls them.

Regardless of the ebb and flow of the markets, I am very confident that the policies of this new administration are going to be very positive for the American economy, which as most here know is not the market, and often disconnected as we have seen over the last 8 years.

Good luck to all.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Market Update February 22, 2017 -

Rida Morwa
Seeking Alpha
Feb. 22, 2017 10:48 AM ET

Disclosure: I/we have no positions in any stocks mentioned, and no plans to initiate any positions within the next 72 hours.

I wrote this article myself, and it expresses my own opinions. I am not receiving compensation for it. I have no business relationship with any company whose stock is mentioned in this article.

Summary

Market Update and S&P 500 index trading range.

Dear HDO Members,

The S&P 500 index had a strong session on Tuesday (up by 0.6%), following a long weekend from the Presidents' Day holiday. The global markets have been rallying strongly, so it makes sense that New York played a little bit of catchup on Tuesday. In fact all of the major indexes have hit new highs as investors continue to commit capital to stocks, despite technical analysis showing overbought conditions with the RSI at 80 or above for all the indices. Of course we all know the market can remain overbought for a long time, due to a very strong price momentum, a lot of optimism, and still a lot of cash on the sidelines. By looking at the VIX volatility index, it has settled down some after showing signs of potentially climbing higher last week.

So what comes next?

I believe that this market will find buyers every time it pulls back, because quite frankly this is one of the strongest markets I have followed. The way it seems to me, if a correction comes, it will be in the form of consolidation rather than a pullback; the market stops going up but it doesn't go down much either. U.S. indices should continue to lead those of the rest of the world.

S&P 500 Trading Range

To the upside: The next target for the S&P 500 is the 2400 level.
To the downside: The 2350 level for the S&P 500 index is a soft support, and I believe that the absolute "floor" for the index is at the 2300 level.

At this point, I believe that being fully invested continues to be the best course of action.

For more info click on the banner below . . .

[Linked Image]

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know but right now my 401K is looking very good.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by centershot
I don't know but right now my 401K is looking very good.

How do you have it invested? I'm 100% in small/mid cap growth funds.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

644 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 75 invisible), 2,078 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,891
Posts18,479,187
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.