Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by RS308MX
We use an old stainless one at the deer camp. Only place I perk coffee. After getting used to a Keurig at home, perking coffee seems to take soooooooo looooooong!

No Keurig at deer camp?????????

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I crawl in my camper and hit the road, this is what I take along. Might take a little longer but it sho do make some great coffee.

[Linked Image]

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Growing up I remember an old Pyrex percolator like the one pictured always on the stove. Perked coffee was considered a real treat versus a cup of instant. We used coffee from the A & P store, 8 O'clock was the brand ground in the big machine in the store.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Have one of these in my camper. It sees a lot of use summer & fall. Even with a paper filter, it does require filtering the grounds through your teeth but it tastes fine.

[Linked Image]

i've been making coffee in one of those ^ ^ ^ graniteware pots for a long time.
if you made it right, pouring in some cold water will settle
the grounds. pour it from the pot carefully and don't sling it around and
the grounds will stay at the bottom.
kent rollins has probably has the best yoofloob video on how
to properly make coffee.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
We've used percolators like this for the six or seven years we led our sons Scout Troop for car camping trips. Way better than any other method for the cold damp SE morning breakfasts and chilly nights after the campfire's out. Cheating with paper filters worked well.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Smells so good. Tastes like reused grounds. My parents didn't get a Mr Coffee until the '70s. I've had one percolator I carried in my pack with a backpacking stoved I modded to burn diesel without sputtering. Otherwise, I like my Bunn.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Still use a stainless steel percolator at our cabin

Tastes better to me than drip coffee, course everything seems to taste better at the cabin. Including whiskey

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Coffee, I like a good cup of coffee.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought a percolator a few months back and use it on the weekends, much better than the drip coffee or kurig.

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have one of these in my camper. It sees a lot of use summer & fall. Even with a paper filter, it does require filtering the grounds through your teeth but it tastes fine.

[Linked Image]

I had one just like that, with the aluminium basket filter. Had the complete kitch with plates, bowls, coffee mugs to match. Everything fit in one 5 gal bucket that has been stolen. It was very nice to have all silverware, can opener, and serving tools in one easy pack package for hunting.
Apparently too easy, since it walked away on it's own.
I almost broke down and bought a cheap replacement a few weeks ago, but did not. Always good for a power failure.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RS308MX
What kind of coffee you gonna run in it? You running tap water or bottled? laugh

I will grind some Costa Rican coffee that my friends here in town roast. Water will be filtered with a Britta filter thingy.

Sam......

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
We have been using a Presto stainless steel peculator for about 5 years. We wanted off of the plastic crap every other coffee maker is made of. I still use a coffee filter in the basket, it keeps the grounds out of the coffee. Fill it with water and grounds, plug it in, and let it go. As easy is a drip. And this one cup at a time expensive things....keep em.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ranger99

[Linked Image]

i've been making coffee in one of those ^ ^ ^ graniteware pots for a long time.
if you made it right, pouring in some cold water will settle
the grounds. pour it from the pot carefully and don't sling it around and
the grounds will stay at the bottom.
kent rollins has probably has the best yoofloob video on how
to properly make coffee.
We use one of these at deer camp. It makes a really good cup of coffee once you get the hang of it.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I don't think I have fixed perked coffee in the past 30 years. While out in my shed today, I found three old Pyrex Percolators. I had forgotten all about them. Brought one in, and will perk a pot in the morning.
[Linked Image]

I can't imagine coffee any other way. Been perking coffee for over 50 years. The stronger the better.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Jury is still out here. The perked coffee took a l-o-n-g time. The flavor was no better, and maybe not as good, as from my French Press. Clean up took longer too, and there is always the worry about breaking the skinny little percolator pump thingy.
Over all, I was not impressed.
Will play with the dang thing a few more days, then probably pack it back up, and put it back in the shed.

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I keep two old aluminum perked coffee makers a small pot for when I'm alone and a 20 cup pot for camping with a bunch of people.

jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Cowboy coffee... with.creek water

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
+1 on perked coffee. Drip coffee is never hot enough and it turns to mud and becomes bitter too quickly. Ymmv....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Got a couple drip makers & an espresso maker, all "in storage".
Use an electric percolator, every day. Got a stainless for the fireplace/gas grill/ power outage times. We just like it better. Brazilian Santos beans, ordered 25 lbs at a time, ground at each pot setup. Everybody who tastes it wants to do the same, so far.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
My grandmother made the best coffee in the city. Used an old electric percolator, measured the grounds (Hills Bros.) precisely and when it was done it was by far the best coffee I - and the entire family, neighbors, friends, etc., - ever had.. I sure miss it..

I thought about buying another, similar percolator, but have been a bit put off by the various revues left by users who got faulty units, leaky units, yada yada yada... It appears those made today are not anywhere near the units made 40-50 years ago.. And they've gotten REAL pricey, IYAM..

Still - I might hafta give it a go.. smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 160user, 1936M71, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 55 invisible), 2,591 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,931
Posts18,498,662
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.