Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
2ndwind Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by benchman
Dave Barry is pretty good. Light, and funny. "Lunatics" was pretty good.

I have not read any Dave Barry before... My wife and I just listened to some Audible samples.... funny stuff.... The dark overlords at Amazon are going to be raking in even more profits as the result of this thread....(Icon of them clicking their little Liberal cloven hooves together here...).

Mr Back has started to ease off today... I'll drive into town and swim some laps tomorrow... Life will seem a lot more rosie after that.

Thanks again for all the suggestions!

Please don't feed the trolls!
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Stuart Woods is good light reading, try to read the Stone Barrington series in sequence, they build on each other.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
I'm going to be stretched out on Mr Heating Pad for a few days... I've been looking through my Audible and Kindle libraries and not finding a book that seems right...

I'm pretty burned out on the standard guy fair of espionage or detective fiction... I'm in the mood for Something that is well written with good plot character development and FUNNY.

Suggestions?

Funny, you want to laugh with back problems??
I just re read Heinlien's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. Has humor, si-fi, good read.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Patrick McManus

^ That right there is da troof if you're seeking laughs.

His development of the character Rancid Crabtree is genius.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Craig Johnson, C.J. Box.

Retired cat herder.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 007FJ
If you want Non Fiction:

Reynel Martinez "Six Silent Men"

Book 1 of a Series on LRRPs. If you like that series of three then Gary Linderer has a few more. Your Kindle will prompt you at the end of that.

Larry Chambers wrote one on Recondo and a bunch of others will surface as you search in those.

These are good books. I have a hard time putting these down once I start one.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
2ndwind Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shreck
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
I'm going to be stretched out on Mr Heating Pad for a few days... I've been looking through my Audible and Kindle libraries and not finding a book that seems right...

I'm pretty burned out on the standard guy fair of espionage or detective fiction... I'm in the mood for Something that is well written with good plot character development and FUNNY.

Suggestions?

Funny, you want to laugh with back problems??
I just re read Heinlien's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. Has humor, si-fi, good read.

SHRECK! buddy it's been a long time.... you make a valid point about not wanting to go full on knee slapping funny at the moment....

I had you figured for a classic scifi buff. Hope all is well down East.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh ya, all of Heinlien's stuff is great. Been good, I lurk more than I post here. How you been?

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If little foul language does not offend you I recommend Stephen Hunter. I can't remember which book first, he wrote multiple books with same main man. I think he wrote the book "Sniper", Mark Walberg movie. If you start reading "Dirty White Boy" you will not be able to quit till done.

2ndwind Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I should have bought stock in Audible and Amazon years ago so I could have earned back some of the profit I have provided for them. I have read several of Stephen Hunters books but not "Dirty White Boys". I'll add it to the list for after I get past the "Just want something to make me laugh" stage.

Here is a link to a review of "Once A Warrior King":

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/40502.Once_A_Warrior_King

If I recall correctly, early in the Vietnam war was part of the real beginning of the special forces advisors model of building relations with indigenous people to fight more effectively in foreign wars...

I had no real direct contact personally or professionally with military folks until my mid 30's I had grown up with the MSM "Fake News" shaping my views...

Getting to know some Military service people and their families along with reading "Once A Warrior King" helped me to understand that the MSM sucked just as bad back in the 70s as they do now...

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1234, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 54 invisible), 2,703 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,800
Posts18,477,464
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.