Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mgw619
Enjoying my last dip as we speak. With all I've got, I'm going to quit as of tomorrow morning. I know it's going to be tough. I have stopped for 7 months in the past but started back. Now I know I really have to. Wifey says no kids until I quit. Ready to start a family so here it goes. I'll be 32 in June and have been dipping since I was 16. Send encouragement!

Best encouragement/advice I can give you is:

Don't do the first dip!

MtBoomer mentioned it in his post too I believe. Don't be tempted by a cigarette, cigar, pipe etc either. They will lead you back to a dip.

I haven't had a tobacco product in almost 28 years and I smoked, chewed, and used real snuff (like they did in the olden days, up the nose) for over 20 years before that. 2 and 1/2 packs of cigs a day at the end, plus Red Man, cigars and snuff on occasion.

As tempted as I've been, I just won't do the first one, of anything. And I can smell a cigarette in traffic and that can set me to thinking "I can just bum one and have it with a nice coffee". Or see someone with a pipe and think "Pipes ain't so bad, I can just puff on one of those". Don't let it fool you, the addiction wants you bad.

Even my old man who smoked at least a pack of Cigars a day for years figured it out when he quit.

Don't do the first one, ever!

You, your wife, and whatever kids you end up with, will appreciate it in the end.

Geno

PS, kids may be expensive too, but they probably won't make you lose half your lower jaw like a friend of mine did from not stopping dipping. S--t like that costs more than money.

PPS. Another helpful thing I did when I first quit, the first couple of years actually. Take half of what you spend every day on your chew and put it aside. Use the money for "fun" stuff. Buy your wife a nice present in a few weeks. I got a nice fishing reel or two and some other goodies. You'll be surprised at how quick it adds up. Do it in cash, take it out of your pay every payday, first thing. Put it in an envelope or something. Cash shows you something tangible. You'll thank me later wink

Last edited by Valsdad; 03/19/17.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Quitting nicotine is easy, it's not starting again that's the tough part. Never ever, not even once, not even a little, none whatsoever, not the slightest bit; 100% abstinence is the only thing that'll break the addiction. It is a physical addiction, the mental part is making the decision to beat it. As time goes by, each month it'll get easier to resist and as the years go by the desire will fade, at least slightly. I've been without for 4312 days and only want some chew or a smoke every week or so. It's great, good luck. Seriously kick it in the ass! There's zero down side to quitting and zero upside to continuing. Should be the easiest decision ever.

Here's a handy days between dates calculator. May 30th 2005 to today.
https://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html

Good advice Boomer!

and thanks for the link to the calculator.

10214 days for me so far.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Daves right, I would just look for new p~ssy in the morning, you'll both be happier. smile

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Good luck! The alternative sucks.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I quit when I was 36yrs old.I was dipping at least a can of Copenhagen a day at that time.I had used tobacco for 24yrs.I tried to quit several times with no luck.The nicotine withdraws are tough.When the Nicoderm patch first came out,I went to my Dr. and told her I wanted to try the patch.I placed the patch on my side above the waist,alternating sides and places each day.I quit carrying my snuff the day I put the patch on and I don't know how many times I reached for it out of pure habit,but it wasn't there.With the patch,I didn't need the nicotine,it has it in it,it was more of getting used to not having a dip in my lip nearly all the time.After a few days,I started seeing the positive affects.My mouth started feeling cleaner and it was kinda nice not having that monkey on my back that was really controlling my life.I didn't even make it through the whole 28 day patch regime.On day 12,I removed the patch and have been tobacco free for 24yrs.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Encouragement sent!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Tracks
If you try, you will fail
If you quit, you win the first day.

My bane was smoking. Found out trying to quit doesn't work.

Ultimately I just plain didn't want to smoke anymore.

That worked.

Wanting to quit, and not wanting to dip are two different things...

Last edited by ingwe; 03/19/17.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

Good luck. I just can't understand how people can put that nasty [bleep] in your mouth.
My wife I know would not let me kiss her hand if I dipped.
Good luck, kids change everything.

NRA Patron
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Quit that crap!!

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
1621 days quit today for me. Dipped for almost 35 yrs. What an f'ing idiot I was...

Last edited by kelbro; 03/19/17.
IC B3

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
You are on the right track and good luck to you. I chewed for years and quit about 5 years ago. It wasn't easy, but a guy I knew had his jaw sawed off like in the pictures on page 1. I thought of that every time I had a craving. It worked.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
You'll probably fail at this.

Dave
Man, your encouragement is overwhelming!

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I started younger than you did and quit older than you are now. My first can of Skoal was $0.19. I can recall at least three coworkers who died of stomach or esophageal cancer from it. My dentist once said it's like carrying a time bomb around in your mouth. There's nothing good about tobacco use.

Mathew 22: 37-39

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
10215 is a lot of days! Good for you.

I dorked out when quitting and wrote on both hands - NO SMOKE! Carried an unopened pack for a few weeks too. Whatever - it worked. Now I'm thinking of writing NO NEW RIFLES!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by gophergunner

Dave

Nobody ever quits because their wife wants them to.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Be careful after you have had a few drinks as well. That is definitely a weak point to give in and "bum a dip". As others have said previously as soon as you do that you are right back in the same boat you were in.

*Master of random precision*
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gophergunner

Dave

Nobody ever quits because their wife wants them to.

This.

You gotta want to quit or it'll never happen.

Best of luck to you.

I've been off of it for 20 years now. Quitting weren't easy, but it was for sure worth it.

Black Cows Matter!
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by dale06

Good luck. I just can't understand how people can put that nasty [bleep] in your mouth.
My wife I know would not let me kiss her hand if I dipped.
Good luck, kids change everything.

Worm $h_t or worm dirt for the kinder, gentler types.

My wife smoked for about eight years but quit when she got pregnant with our first; I never dipped or smoked. My grandfather gave me a puff off of his Camel when I was about five or so....YUK. That was enough for me. sick

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ha! I dated a gal in HS who dipped also. We would split a can of Copenhagen.

The good ole days...
...not

Black Cows Matter!
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Good luck. I had quit for a year and a half before I got started again.

The horrors of farming will do that to you.

Do it for you and your future kids. Seems like good a reason as any.

I am MAGA.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

113 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 2500HD, 35, Akhutr, 17 invisible), 1,620 guests, and 961 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,946
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.