-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Last weekend a guy in a gun shop told me that a certain cartridge achieved its high velocity because the factory mixed two powders in the case. I was sorta wondering if I would see the same claim here, when I read the title of this thread grin

mixing powders is an abominable idea, to be clear - don't do it!

Ringman reminds me of a couple of my customers. They email me about problems, and I look over the info, and write a lengthy reply explaining what's going on, and what needs to be done to fix the problem. They reply with a thought process that wanders off on exponential tangents, and again ask me again what I should do. I reply with a shorter version of the first email. They again wander off in space somewhere, sometimes email me again a few weeks later asking about the same problem. I usually give them a terse reply to read my first email and quit wasting my time.

Dude, you're loading silly hot, on the ragged edge of safety. I sometimes load pretty warm as well, but even in a very strong action I'm looking at fired cases to be sure that the heads are not expanding after several loadings - a sure warning sign that things are too hot

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Yeah, the first clue should have been excessive velocity, but hey......

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by smokepole
Any thoughts?

Ditch the brake.

Are you nuts?

You just had to have the last word, didn't you.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Any thoughts?

Ditch the brake.

Are you nuts?

You just had to have the last word, didn't you.

Don't worry he'll be back next week with another high adventure! grin

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Yeah, the first clue should have been excessive velocity, but hey......

The velocity is about the same as Barnes told me.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B2

Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Last weekend a guy in a gun shop told me that a certain cartridge achieved its high velocity because the factory mixed two powders in the case. I was sorta wondering if I would see the same claim here, when I read the title of this thread grin

Ringman reminds me of a couple of my customers. They email me about problems, and I look over the info, and write a lengthy reply explaining what's going on, and what needs to be done to fix the problem. They reply with a thought process that wanders off on exponential tangents, and again ask me again what I should do. I reply with a shorter version of the first email. They again wander off in space somewhere, sometimes email me again a few weeks later asking about the same problem. I usually give them a terse reply to read my first email and quit wasting my time.

Dude, you're loading silly hot, on the ragged edge of safety. I sometimes load pretty warm as well, but even in a very strong action I'm looking at fired cases to be sure that the heads are not expanding after several loadings - a sure warning sign that things are too hot

T_O_M suggested I try 63.0 and 63.5 grains. I did that today. Here are the results. The velocity averaged 3,450 feet per second. That is about 60 or 70 feet per second BELOW what Barnes told me they were getting with 65.7 grains. Do you want to apologize now or later?

[Linked Image]

Everyday Hunter
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I forget...which one of the "Rimg" guys is the idiot

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

T_O_M suggested I try 63.0 and 63.5 grains. I did that today. Here are the results. The velocity averaged 3,450 feet per second. That is about 60 or 70 feet per second BELOW what Barnes told me they were getting with 65.7 grains. Do you want to apologize now or later?

[Linked Image]

70 grains will be your huckleberry

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You need to try a compressed load.

Get a jackhammer and really pack it in there!

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Go beyond a merely compressed load, and broken grains,....

Drill out the flash hole and use a magnum primer, duplex over that with 5% WOC Bullseye,.....just get it over with.

There's something WRONG about you, and this continual STUPID theme you harp on.

STFU and go away, or post about your "experiments" in a reasonably SANE realm, you [bleep] fool.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by NVhntr

slide-hammer..jesus ffffuckinggggg christ get it right for ringman...

Last edited by bubbajay; 03/20/17.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
he prays for us......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As handloaders today, we are so blessed to have personal chronographs, as cheap as $100.

If a beginning centerfire shooter starts to get serious and curious about shooting and starts to think about handloading, the very first thing he should buy is a chronograph.

Even before he buys his first loading manual, or any other piece of gear, he can start learning a lot about ammo in general, and his rifle, by testing factory ammo with a chronograph. If he was wondering if he really wanted to commit to handloading, the chronograph will almost surely convince him to go ahead.

Compared to the old days when many of us started loading in the 1950s and '60s, having a chronograph is such an advance that it is almost like having a "personal ballistics laboratory".

A knowledgeable handloader DOES NOT check several sources, then pick the highest grain load of them all, and load up some ammo, and then brag that his wonderful rifle shoots 200 fps faster than everyone else's.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by nifty-two-fifty
As handloaders today, we are so blessed to have personal chronographs, as cheap as $100.

If a beginning centerfire shooter starts to get serious and curious about shooting and starts to think about handloading, the very first thing he should buy is a chronograph.

Even before he buys his first loading manual, or any other piece of gear, he can start learning a lot about ammo in general, and his rifle, by testing factory ammo with a chronograph. If he was wondering if he really wanted to commit to handloading, the chronograph will almost surely convince him to go ahead.

Compared to the old days when many of us started loading in the 1950s and '60s, having a chronograph is such an advance that it is almost like having a "personal ballistics laboratory".

A knowledgeable handloader DOES NOT check several sources, then pick the highest grain load of them all, and load up some ammo, and then brag that his wonderful rifle shoots 200 fps faster than everyone else's.

You speak for yourself, Buckaroo.

I've ALWAYS started at the very top, and added at the very least an additional 10% by WEIGHT !!!
.....the entire side of his head a crater, eyeball that's left cocked at a crazy angle ....stumbles / shuffles off into the wings,....

Sarcasm off,.....damn fine post, Mister.

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CCCC
Yes, thoughts. Your data shows rifle and MVs without, and with, muzzle brake - but no baseline data for powder/charge/bullet. What could a guy do with that info?
If there is a supposition that MV changed due to installation of brake, can't see data to address that supposition. If that was not a supposition, am trying to think of a reason for the post.

You can't help yourself.

Sure I can - yes sir. You asked for thoughts - so shared the first one. Please know that was not the complete thinking about your post.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Maybe you could give us instructions on what happens when one does this. Lots of loading manuals mention compressed loads. Or did you know that?

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Maybe you could give us instructions on what happens when one does this. Lots of loading manuals mention compressed loads. Or did you know that?

It's common knowledge that NOBODY here can compare with the illustrious Ringman, when it comes to working up new and innovative loading techniques,....

GTC

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
should be able to rig one of these up with a powder die.

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I know when I can't get the exact velocity out of my loads that Nosler/Hodgdon, etc lists in their load data, I get really pissed and just start cramming more powder in there until I do. Then I tell people how stupid they are for doubting my methods.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Guy wants a Mark V action and a 270 Win chambering.

And y'all are surprised by his reloading strategy?

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

487 members (222Sako, 308xray, 30Gibbs, 29aholic, 12344mag, 1badf350, 40 invisible), 1,735 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,010
Posts18,520,643
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.