Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Wow.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The pattern is full?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Got a little left rudder to hold the nose up to!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
IC B2

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Wow, not much lift in that configuration.

That is either one hell of a pilot, or one major oops.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
We call it a "fly-by". In the middle of cruise if things got kinda boring you'd call the tower and ask for a fly-by. It was usually low and fast and it was a great opportunity for the maintainers to see their jets in action. Morale builders, you know.

I did one at night off the Midway in a Phantom. We had topped off with fuel off the cat but then they decided to cut our cycle short so we had lots of gas to burn i.e. "waste". I'd never seen anyone do a fly-by at night but I thought "what the hell". We called up and asked for a fly-by and a couple of minutes the word from the Captain (Capt Chuck McGrail...a fighter pilot himself no less) was passed and it was "fly-by approved; just don't blow my windows out". laugh

We came up the wake at 100 feet or so and maybe 500 kts. About a mile aft I plugged in the burners and pulled to 90 degrees straight up and unloaded to zero G with those J-79 burners pointed right down at the deck. At zero G with no induced drag I think we topped put at 25-30,000' and then headed out toward the marshall stack to wait for our recovery time.

A call from Strike came on the radio, "Switch 204, Strike". I thought "uh oh ; I hope they're not pissed".

"Switch 204, go ahead".

"Switch 204, Schoolboy (the Captain's call sign) passes, "very nice".

A while later after we landed, all the plane captains came up to us and all said, "that was pretty cool sir". grin
Mission accomplished. grin

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

That is either one hell of a pilot, or one majot oops.

He's pulling g's so he had some lift. It's just not pointed in the vertical axis.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd give a nut to go for a ride in one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not a pilot but the F-14 is the most impressively awesome plane I've ever seen fly.

MM

IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by navlav8r

He's pulling g's so he had some lift. It's just not pointed in the vertical axis.

Just a fan of many things aeronautical. Only been up a couple times as a guest in a '46 Luskin and once in a Cessna just a bit bigger.

Twas my understanding that lift in the vertical axis, was what kept the pilots ass out of the drink.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Gristle
I'd give a nut to go for a ride in one.

I'd give Gristle's other nut for a ride.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Just a fan of many things aeronautical. Only been up a couple times as a guest in a '46 Luskin and once in a Cessna just a bit bigger.

Twas my understanding that lift in the vertical axis, was what kept the pilots ass out of the drink.

You must mean Luscombe.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Could be. Never seen it printed.

Just heard it pronounced by a good old boy Oklahoma ex-crop duster.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We call it a "fly-by". In the middle of cruise if things got kinda boring you'd call the tower and ask for a fly-by. It was usually low and fast and it was a great opportunity for the maintainers to see their jets in action. Morale builders, you know.

I did one at night off the Midway in a Phantom. We had topped off with fuel off the cat but then they decided to cut our cycle short so we had lots of gas to burn i.e. "waste". I'd never seen anyone do a fly-by at night but I thought "what the hell". We called up and asked for a fly-by and a couple of minutes the word from the Captain (Capt Chuck McGrail...a fighter pilot himself no less) was passed and it was "fly-by approved; just don't blow my windows out". laugh

We came up the wake at 100 feet or so and maybe 500 kts. About a mile aft I plugged in the burners and pulled to 90 degrees straight up and unloaded to zero G with those J-79 burners pointed right down at the deck. At zero G with no induced drag I think we topped put at 25-30,000' and then headed out toward the marshall stack to wait for our recovery time.

A call from Strike came on the radio, "Switch 204, Strike". I thought "uh oh ; I hope they're not pissed".

"Switch 204, go ahead".

A while later after we landed, all the plane captains came up to us and all said, "that was pretty cool sir". grin

Cool story. Two weeks ago I had the great experience of going to the Midway museum in San Diego. By chance, at the end of the the tailhook talk, a couple of retired pilots walked up and started chatting with the retired pilot who gave the presentation. They all flew off Midway at one time or another. I sat and eavesdropped as they swapped stories of serving aboard the Midway. Awesome. Just awesome.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Was on the deck of the Enterprise when they put on a show for a bunch of Senate VIP's. Even though it was announced as he approaced, the super sonic F4 fly by put most of the audience down flat on the deck.

I worked with sub-sonic A3's, but we still had some hot rodders. Guys would get into serious trouble when they started bending engine mounts.

Every facet of carrier activity has to be experienced. It can not be adequately described.

Last edited by 1minute; 03/21/17.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I saw Capt "Snort" Snodgrass (the Aviator in the pic and Commander of FITWING at the time) do this on Truman for a dependents day cruise out of Norfolk.This was during one her very first at sea periods after deck qual (although I have no idea when this picture was taken it was his standard demo)

He came up the wake below flight deck level and pulled up, rolled 90 right at the stern and then rolled 180 left and pulled away to start his demo, the jet at this point is not pulling any g's really and has 500+ knots on it. So it's in no danger of falling out of the sky!

If you've never seen an airpower demo at sea you've missed an airshow you can't believe. Lots of live ordnance and low level high speed passes that you'd never see ashore. Back when we had A-6's on the wall of water pass you'd see a single level pass with an A-6 dropping 30 Mk-82's Snakes from 200'- very much a wall of water

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Gees, Smees, ain't no big deal...

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My dad had an old buddy of his that flew an AT 6 Texan. He took me up for a ride one time when he came into a local strip for a family visit. What an experience for a wide eyed 8 year old. A couple loops and rolls, and I was in hog heaven. I can't imagine what it much be like to do that stuff in a jet. How you guys stay conscious is beyond me.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

"Switch 204, go ahead".

F4 pilots did that a few times to the plane guard DDs without us knowing it was coming. When they're coming at close to the speed of sound, you don't hear them until the boom whch damn near flattens you.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 163bc, 06hunter59, 63 invisible), 2,693 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,601
Posts18,473,568
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.