Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
wyo1895 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I talked with Phil Schiffer the head guy at Schiffer publications this afternoon. They have just about sold all of the first printing of my book and he wants to know about any changes that need to be made for a second printing. I know of a few. Any input from you guys would be greatly appreciated. He needs the info in 4 or 5 weeks.
We talked some about an actual 2nd addition but I think that new info would work best in a new book.
He REALLY wants me to write a second book. I told him my biggest problem is the time and money for me to do all the traveling involved. I told him the reason we need to travel to the people with the rifles is for Charlotte or I to get proper photographs of the rifles. Curved shiny surfaces are really difficult to photograph properly and we have perfected that. He offered to have anyone with rifles I wanted photographed to bring them to Schiffer's studio in Atglen, Pa. I want this book to cover engraving in depth and I want to include as many of the non-cataloged variations as possible. Any of you guys who have rifles that fall into this category PM or email with your thoughts on taking your rifles to Schiffer's studio. If we can do this I can get on track to start the book this Summer. Thanks, David

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

GB1

wyo1895 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Phil Schiffer also asked me about anyone who might want to write a gun book. Gene immediately came to mind. PM me if you are interested Gene and I'll get you in touch with them. David

wyo1895
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sounds like a Savagefest in central location where folks can bring engraved 99s and you can photograph while only making one trip?

Bruce
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's a great idea.

LOL
wyo1895 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
That is a great idea. But Loggah has already PM'd me that he isn't taking his guns through the People's Republic of Nu Yawk (New York). I may just have to fly to somewhere North of Boston, ship my lighting gear and rent a car. David

wyo1895
[email protected]

IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Well, I definitely would love to see a second book. And if we can help fund what you need David, I would gladly contribute. There are go fund me accounts for everything imagined.
Why not?
Jeff

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wyo1895
That is a great idea. But Loggah has already PM'd me that he isn't taking his guns through the People's Republic of Nu Yawk (New York). I may just have to fly to somewhere North of Boston, ship my lighting gear and rent a car. David

I am certain Loggah is not alone. Hauling collectible/expensive guns around through unfriendly states is NOT a wise idea.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Hell i wont even take myself thru New Yorkastan without any guns !!!!! crazy crazy

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
fo'get-aboud'it. The PA Savage fest would still accomplish a big chunk of new photos.

David, I suggest you start an internal "Go-fund-me" campaign to cover your travel/production costs. We all benefit from your labors!

I 2nd, and 3rd the vote to encourage Gene toward his rimfire, and sights, and printed materials books!

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There are guns in Canada that might also be suitable for your next book. Borders are a pain.
BillR

IC B3

wyo1895 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Lots of good input. I'll probably have to take a very long road trip. Going to Canada doesn't bother me. I just don't take guns with me except for the two times I went hunting there. My wife is Canadian so we go there every now and then. We've never had any real hassle except the first hunting trip. We almost missed our plane due to an argument between Canadian and American officials on our last stop in Canada. We drove to Calgary the second trip so we took the gun through a border crossing and didn't have any problems.
I appreciate the offers of financial help but writing these kind of books is not profitable so pay back would come out of my regular income over time. I put my house in Georgia up for sale and if it sells I'll have plenty of money for the trip.
I've gotten some PM's concerning errors or omissions in the first book. All input is greatly appreciated. Correcting it has to be my first priority in the next days or weeks. Thanks, David

wyo1895
[email protected]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
David,
Curious, do you know many books were printed first time?

Also, what will the Contents of Book #2 look like? That may give us some idea of what we have that may be of interest to you. You still have to solve the road trip(s). grin

"Every day above ground is a good day."
wyo1895 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I think the first printing must have been 2500. Phil Schiffer told me they had sold over 2000 copies and that they needed the info for the second printing in 4 or 5 weeks based on the sales rate or sooner if sales picked up.
For the new book I am going into great detail on engraving, especially Enoch Tue's, early checkering and stock carving and other special features. Some more pics of engraved 1895's would be great. I want to cover uncataloged versions in more detail. The one piece stock prototype and the Schutzen will be in there along with any other prototypes or rare factory rifles. I am planning a chapter on Savage advertising art. Possibly a chapter on Savage brand cartridges. I won't do this if Bill McNally does a book on cartridges. I mentioned the Perris Special in the first book but don't have pictures. I would really like to include some Perris Special pics. Gary's black and white photos have been a real attention getter in the first book. I would like to maybe do an appendix of people with their rifles especially family heirlooms and possibly guys with critters they've killed with their 99's.
I am open to more suggestions for content. David

wyo1895
[email protected]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've always been drawn to custom 99's. I especially like full stocked beauties with gorgeous wood and checkering. All the other classic rifles have been customized and as such are worshipped as works of art but if you so much as change a screw on a 99 you go straight to he!!, do not pass go or collect $200!

A brief mention of the potential of the 99 as a basis for a fine custom rifle would seem fitting in a book detailing high end factory rifles.

JMHO, and LBK is free to disagree, as I know he will.

RAS's custom

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Fireball2; 03/23/17.

LOL
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The gun book dealer I see at many local shows was at the Ohio Gun Collectors March event in Williamstown OH. He had one copy left on his table. Told me they sell well but are getting tougher for him to get. Certainly fits with the publisher wanting to print more. I've shared my copy with a couple guys. At least one has subsequently bought his own copy.

If you do make some corrections would they be available to those with the first run books? Supplement possibly?

I have nothing that would interest you for your second book but it sounds like a fine idea. I also like the idea of Gene writing a book! His might have to be broken down into volumes though smile

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ring3

If you do make some corrections would they be available to those with the first run books? Supplement possibly?

That would be a great service to your first books customers, but not sure how the book business works.

LOL
wyo1895 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'll write up the changes as a photobucket file and put it in a post as an attachment. I will also include a copy of the changes with any leftover first printing books I sell. I've reviewed the first three chapters and I spelled Enoch Tue's first name three different ways and I consistently misspelled Rick Ruetten's last name Reutten twice. It's tough being a writer. David

wyo1895
[email protected]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Who the s h i t REALLY cares about misspelling?

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

wyo1895 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My book would be a lot worse in the spelling department if it wasn't for spell check. I try to do the best I can in all ways so I try to eliminate the spelling errors. Names like Enoch and Ruetten aren't in spell check unfortunately. David

wyo1895
[email protected]

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
David, you can add those odd names to the spell checker so at least they will all come out the same.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

667 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 16penny, 69 invisible), 3,300 guests, and 1,346 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,483
Posts18,471,815
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.