Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I just submitted all my applications.

I won't get the following: frown

- Bull Elk Tag in a premium trophy unit - I have 19 points but it takes 23 in the unit where I applied.

- Buck Mule Deer Tag - I hunted deer last year so I have zero points and it takes at least two in the unit where I applied.

I might get the following: confused

- Buck Pronghorn in a trophy unit - I have 15 points.
- If I don't get the buck tag, I'll get another point and doe tag in a so-so unit, which is historically undersubscribed.

- Either Sex Mountain Goat Tag - I have 3 + 14 points.

I'll probably get the following: grin

- Another point for elk
- Antlerless Elk Tag for the 3rd Season in a historically undersubscribed unit
- Over the Counter Bull Elk Tag in same unit as Cow Elk Tag

- A point for deer.
- Doe Mule Deer Tag in the Late Plains season.

- Another point for Pronghorns.
- Doe Pronghorn Tag.

- Another year of disappointment for Mountain Goats.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by KC
I just submitted all my applications.

I won't get the following: frown

- Bull Elk Tag in a premium trophy unit - I have 19 points but it takes 23 in the unit where I applied.

- Buck Mule Deer Tag - I hunted deer last year so I have zero points and it takes at least two in the unit where I applied.

I might get the following: confused

- Buck Pronghorn in a trophy unit - I have 15 points.
- If I don't get the buck tag, I'll get another point and doe tag in a so-so unit, which is historically undersubscribed.

- Either Sex Mountain Goat Tag - I have 3 + 14 points.

I'll probably get the following: grin

- Another point for elk
- Antlerless Elk Tag for the 3rd Season in a historically undersubscribed unit
- Over the Counter Bull Elk Tag in same unit as Cow Elk Tag

- A point for deer.
- Doe Mule Deer Tag in the Late Plains season.

- Another point for Pronghorns.
- Doe Pronghorn Tag.

- Another year of disappointment for Mountain Goats.

KC

Although I was lucky enough to draw a goat tag back in the early 80's, the CPW out lasted me and I got too old to hunt them. I don't put in anymore for goat or sheep.

I will probably get my cow elk ML tag,but don't know what I will do for the rifle season.Everyone has stopped hunting now and I will have to go it alone.MY long time hunting partner has bad hip and can't ride,and the other doesn't have a horse or mule and doesn't wan to rent two in the same year.

Might get a ML deer tag for out east,but no antelope tag.I have an invite to hunt whitetails in Nebraska at that time

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'll be bowhunting elk and deer (if I can get a buck tag) with a bud from out of state.

Then of course, rifle hunting for moose, when I draw the bull tag......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
KC thanks for the info and good luck this year. You have me very curious on the idiosyncrasies of the draw system in CO I've studied it quite a bit and I'm in the point game with 2 pts now and hope to draw a NR Pronghorn hunt next year.

I'm curious aboutt things such as how you get your doe tags. Are these on a secondary draw/left over sale?

I'd be happy to share NM trade secrets with you about the draw system here.
-Jon

Lifetime member: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers & Wild Sheep Foundation
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

On my calendar to buy deer and elk points this week. Already have a Dall Sheep and Moose hunt for this year.

10 NR deer points for next year's draw.

4 for elk. Want to do a muzzy hunt for that.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is the last year for paper applications. I sent my elk application in the day after I received the brochure. It's an either sex tag for 1st rifle season.

I've got 3 points with 14 weighted points for moose. I've been applying since day one. I'm thinking about giving up on moose.

Sheep & mtn goat---I've already killed both. I don't apply for either.

Antelope---11 points. I use to hunt unit 2 but it has slipped in the past few years. I don't apply anymore.

Deer---I've got enough for a high country buck hunt. I don't know if my legs can do another timber line hunt.

What I'm really happy about is a spring turkey tag for the Bosque del Oso. I drew that tag this spring.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I plan to spend 17 points on a trophy antelope tag in SE Colorado. Not a sure thing but better than 50/50 chance.

Will spend a point on a cow elk tag for a nice unit in SW Colorado.

Maybe a Bighorn ewe tag.

Maybe I can come up with a 2nd choice deer tag but maybe not.

Collect points for moose, goat, deer.

KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jmgraham1986
KC thanks for the info and good luck this year. You have me very curious on the idiosyncrasies of the draw system in CO I've studied it quite a bit and I'm in the point game with 2 pts now and hope to draw a NR Pronghorn hunt next year.

I'm curious about things such as how you get your doe tags. Are these on a secondary draw/leftover sale?

I'd be happy to share NM trade secrets with you about the draw system here.
-Jon

Jon:

I sent you a PM. I could benefit from learning about the draw system in NM. Let's correspond.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by colorado bob
... I sent my elk application in the day after I received the brochure. It's an either sex tag for 1st rifle season.

I've got 3 points with 14 weighted points for moose. I've been applying since day one. I'm thinking about giving up on moose. Don't give up.

Sheep & mtn goat---I've already killed both. I don't apply for either. I've also killed one of each but I still have points for goats.

Antelope---11 points. I use to hunt unit 2 but it has slipped in the past few years. I don't apply anymore. There are lots of other good places to hunt speed goats in CO and in WY.

Deer---I've got enough for a high country buck hunt. I don't know if my legs can do another timberline hunt. Good Luck.

What I'm really happy about is a spring turkey tag for the Bosque del Oso. I drew that tag this spring. Happy for you. grin

KC

KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Although I was lucky enough to draw a goat tag back in the early 80's, the CPW out lasted me and I got too old to hunt them. I don't put in anymore for goat or sheep.

I will probably get my cow elk ML tag,but don't know what I will do for the rifle season.Everyone has stopped hunting now and I will have to go it alone.MY long time hunting partner has bad hip and can't ride,and the other doesn't have a horse or mule and doesn't wan to rent two in the same year.

Might get a ML deer tag for out east,but no antelope tag.I have an invite to hunt whitetails in Nebraska at that time

Vince:

I'm going back to unit 54. I know that chances are slim but I know the area so well that it just seems comfortable. It will probably be a nice camping trip. I'm not going to camp where we camped a few years ago. I'm going to camp elsewhere. Wanna' come?

KC

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
PM sent

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Put in for a ML bull tag and should get it with the three points I have. Also put in for a doe tag as my first and second choice and buck for third and fourth choice all for third or fourth season. Might get a deer tag but probably not since I drew a buck tag last year in the same unit. I will probably pick up an over the counter tag for the late season cow elk tag like I did two years ago.

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
PP for elk and PP for deer this year. My first point for each. Want to buy another couple of preference points in CO next year and then hunt elk with an OTC tag, or try to draw a 4th season as a second choice.

Am I correct in thinking that drawing on a second choice won't use up your preference points???

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Put in for my non resident archery either sex Elk tag in unit 76 which takes 12-13 points, I only have 9. Just getting another preference point. I opted for over the counter either sex Elk if not drawn. Put in for Buck Mule Deer tag for GMU 63 and should draw that with 1 preference point. At 67 years old, I plan on solo archery hunting and really could care less if I am successful or not. I'm going hunting period, in an area I have hunted over the past 20+ years. Love the Colorado mountains, Tom.

Last edited by TomA; 03/28/17.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I put in for NR Unit 12 third combined buck mule deer with no points, I doubt I'll draw and get a PP. Bull elk is OTC, hopefully the outfitter will have Landowner tags! If I can't get a buck deer tag I might get an OTC cow tag. Good luck all!

Last edited by Sako76; 03/28/17.
KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by warmutt

Am I correct in thinking that drawing on a second choice won't use up your preference points???

That's correct, second choice and subsequent choices do not use preference points.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Getting ready to submit.

Elk will be an attempt at a 1st rifle although I have 0 points. Fall back will be an OTC archery bull license.

Deer, I'd like to hear back from game warden on how bad winter has been. I have 8 points. Not enough for a prime 3rd/4th rifle. Think I'll just go for a 2nd season. Ready to hunt.

Will put in for Antelope PP. Like to hunt those in a year or two.

Possibly put in for a Bighorn PP. It would be the start of a many year quest. Have 0 now as it's hard to shell our $2100 even for a few months. Really disappointed I can't even get a license in the area I grew up. Non residents are not eligible. So much for 'our' National forests... Yes, I'm bitter about that.

Drawing a 2nd choice is interesting. That would take a unique circumstance for that to happen. Basically every first choice applicant, even those with 0 points, would have to draw first correct?

Last edited by prm; 03/28/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Look at the draw statistics. If it says drawn out at second choice, then you at least know what happened last year.

KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by prm
Possibly put in for a Bighorn PP. It would be the start of a many year quest. Have 0 now as it's hard to shell our $2100 even for a few months. Really disappointed I can't even get a license in the area I grew up. Non residents are not eligible. So much for 'our' National forests... Yes, I'm bitter about that.

Drawing a 2nd choice is interesting. That would take a unique circumstance for that to happen. Basically every first choice applicant, even those with 0 points, would have to draw first correct?

It depends on which species. For bighorns (I'm guessing that's what you were referring to), mountain goats, desert bighorns, and moose, I don't bother to indicate a second choice because none are ever drawn. There are always more first choice applicants than there are tags offered. However, for other species there are lots of second choice tags issued. In fact in many hunt codes there are more tags offered than there are applicants and they start selling leftover tags in early August. Some tags are offered and not purchased.

KC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just points for me this year

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

282 members (264mag, 1_deuce, 204guy, 260Remguy, 29aholic, 31 invisible), 2,015 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,755
Posts18,476,348
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.