Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The seniority system used by many unions is just built-in incompetency. No matter how hard you work or how good your work is, the worthless bum who was hired 2 weeks ahead of you is going to get everything that comes up.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would agree to a point with Barkoff on the worst being the SEIU and the UAW but construction unions have their issues as well. I worked construction in summers to help pay for college costs. We were a small non-union company but would hire any qualified carpenter, electrician, etc if we were in a remote area away from the main offices and needed the help. Had a union bricklayer start with us and really sped up our progress by allowing us to go from 2 to 3 bricklayers. Few days after he starts, his union rep comes by and told him to go home as we were not a union company. He asked him what job he had lined up for him to do. Rep said he didn't have any work for him but his union contract wouldn't allow him to work for us. So he guy dropped his head and went home. Had kids to feed. I thought it was a pretty screwed up situation.

As far as employees having a run in with the boss and the union backing them? What about a run in with the union?? Can be just as bad. Especially if there is a dispute between a new guy and someone with more seniority. Union won't side with the new guy "most of the time." I agree that they had their role early but I believe they have outlived their usefulness.

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Like so many things, there are at least two "sides" to be considered. Unfortunately, in too many cases, neither "side" wants to accept the legitimate points of concern of the other "side".

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
People ask why is union numbers so low and going down? Why do you think greedy employers moved to southern states and then to Mexico? Employers are the union killers.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You're right Jorge, 7% is no endorsement and I think they've done it to themselves as evidenced by many of the posts on this and the thousands of other threads we've had here on the board. Corruption is rampant in many of the unions. Saving some jerks job doesn't make anybody happy if the guy really should have been let go. Political contributions to a party you are opposed to doesn't go over well.

At one time the unions helped get decent labor laws enacted in this country and it's cut down on the abuse that corporations apparently heaped on employees in the past. If the unions go away though, a lot of that will come back. It's darn hard for the working guy to hire a lawyer to fight for fair treatment from an employer. Sometimes there's only one employer in town for a certain worker. He can't quit without moving.

Union bosses are a lot like politicians. You have to continually ride herd on them to keep them in line.

Anyway, I have to run to Jackson and get some errands done.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Here's 1 thing that the Teamsters did to help the drivers. Back in the 80's, these trucks hit the market. They were designed to increase cargo space while keeping the vehicle total length within existing laws. The driver crawls into the cab underneath the load, in a very dangerous position. He's in front of and under everything. In a fender bender, the whole rig is right on top of him. He can't see and road spray will blind him. The union looked at them and bluntly told the trucking companies that no Teamster would ever be required to drive one. Point blank. They disappeared very fast, at least in the US. I don't know about other countries.

[Linked Image]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Make that Labour Unions for our good Canadian friends.

You, or close relative ever belong to a union?

What do you think about the unions, past, and present?

Can't help with Canaduh, but here's something Americans can read and enjoy.

http://freebeacon.com/issues/taxpayers-paid-162-5-million-union-work/

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by deflave

With a federal public service of 600,000 employees, that's an average of 5 hours per employee per year. Hardly earth shattering. When looking at numbers it's a good idea to consider the context and relative scale of what you see.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'm sure that $162,000,000 went toward resolving some real earth shattering issues within our government.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by MikeReilly

With a federal public service of 600,000 employees, that's an average of 5 hours per employee per year. Hardly earth shattering. When looking at numbers it's a good idea to consider the context and relative scale of what you see.

Could have been earth shattering if those hours were spent tutoring high risk kids or in community service. You are right, scale is everything and your myoptic vision is blinding you.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Never had a use for a union. Fixed all my own issues and or moved on to a better job.

Hope I never am forced into a union either.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bet the 29 non-union miners at the coal mine in WV wished they had a union to make that bastard Don Blankenship follow the safety regs of MSHA. Yeah, unions have used their power unwisely at times, they have also saved a lot of lives.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Seniority and not merit-based system that can only survive by continuously asking for higher pay for doing the same job, with no consideration to profit margins (bottom line) of the employer, eventually making labor cost prohibitive. That, coupled with INSANE Gov't regulations and OUTRAGEOUS Capital Gain taxes is big reason as towhy just about everything is made overseas.
Today, they are less than 8% of the work force, but their footprint lingers. GM for example has a 15BILLION dollar nut to crack in pensions, medical benefits etc to people long since retired before they can make a profit. All my employees are Union and like I keep telling them, keep the demand for higher pay and benefits up and eventually we are all going to get sent home.

This is the bottom line. Union folks don't care if they run the company they work for out of business so long as they get theirs. They don't have the fore sight to figure out what happens when the company goes broke, because labor is too high. They send their work over seas. They have killed manufacturing in this country and then blame the companies who are trying to survive.

Rocky nailed it {I consider unions to be the last refuge of the incompetent.} Unions have no idea how to run businesses, and don't care. It is the sorriest ponzi sceam out there. All they care about is how many people they have paying dues, because that means more money for them and the demoncraps. That includes unions in education. They don't give two hoots about the kids, unless they grow up and want to teach so they can get money from them too.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by WV_Airedale
I bet the 29 non-union miners at the coal mine in WV wished they had a union to make that bastard Don Blankenship follow the safety regs of MSHA. Yeah, unions have used their power unwisely at times, they have also saved a lot of lives.

What would have happened if all 29 of them called OSHA?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
At one time there was a need for unions. But in today's world they have evolved into the financial arm of the DNC.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
The only blue collar jobs left around here that you'll get decent pay, benefits and a pension are all union. I worked for a union railroad back in the 80's. Our tracks ran right alongside a non union railroad. Our union trackmen got 10.59 an hour and a good retirement. The trackmen doing the exact same work for the non union railroad got 7.00 an hour and no retirement. Things haven't changed union vs non union work/jobs between then and now.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 19rabbit52
People ask why is union numbers so low and going down? Why do you think greedy employers moved to southern states and then to Mexico? Employers are the union killers.

Just as easy to flip that and say unions are employer killers.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blackheart
The only blue collar jobs left around here that you'll get decent pay, benefits and a pension are all union. I worked for a union railroad back in the 80's. Our tracks ran right alongside a non union railroad. Our union trackmen got 10.59 an hour and a good retirement. The trackmen doing the exact same work for the non union railroad got 7.00 an hour and no retirement. Things haven't changed union vs non union work/jobs between then and now.

Yes, things have changed.
In 1985 unions accounted for 17.5% of the workforce.
Now, as Jorge stated 7% or less.
Seems to me the workers are voting with their feet.

I've belonged to two unions in the past. Neither added any benefit to my situation. I would never advise anyone to join a union.

About the only unions that are still thriving are those covering government workers, where there is no profit motive for management to contain labor costs. In fact whatever is handed out to the unions only guarantees a raise for management so they can maintain their salary advantage.

Government unions should be outlawed.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Yes, things have changed.
In 1985 unions accounted for 17.5% of the workforce.
Now, as Jorge stated 7% or less.
Seems to me the workers are voting with their feet.

I've belonged to two unions in the past. Neither added any benefit to my situation. I would never advise anyone to join a union.

About the only unions that are still thriving are those covering government workers, where there is no profit motive for management to contain labor costs. In fact whatever is handed out to the unions only guarantees a raise for management so they can maintain their salary advantage.

Government unions should be outlawed.

We've got two companies here locally that produce the same products, electrical connectors and wiring harnesses. One is a union shop and the other is not. I know people who work both places. At the non union plant you'll start at 12.00 an hour for an assembly line job and it'll take you 8-10 years to work up to 16.00 an hour. At the union plant you'll start at 15.70 an hour and be making 22.00+ an hour in 10 years. Nope, no difference.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by WV_Airedale

What would have happened if all 29 of them called OSHA?

Not OSHA, MSHA (mine safety and health). To answer your question the coal companies can appeal the mine inspector's write ups and keep operating. That was the situation in the Upper Big Branch Mine when it blew up. There were several serious safety violations cited and the mine was operating under several appeals.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 007FJ, 16Racing, 58 invisible), 2,899 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,360
Posts18,488,044
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.