Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by saddlesore
The larger the case capacity the smaller the affect of accuracy from the amount of powder variatio

I sure wouldn't worry about a few rounds coming out over .003. I would either buy or make a Tru Tool ( They ain't that hard to make). Fix the problem rounds and go shoot. A person can waste a lot of time and spend money tryingto figure out and fix a problem that doesn't matter.

I think along time ago,Mathman posted that those rounds that had run out and were fixed did not shoot quite as good as rounds that that had no appreciable run out to begin with.

I am not a bench rest shooter and he is by far probably a better shooter than I, but I have no seen any difference.

I usually load a 100 rounds at a time.I may get 8-10 that surpass .003 run out. I fix those with my home made tool, mark them and usually use them as fouling shots when I go check my scope zero before hunting season.Since I only use 3-4 rounds to check zero and 1-3 rounds hunting out of that 100 I loaded,I run out of those fouling rounds long before I run out of the others.

I believe you're referring to this:

Originally Posted by mathman
One thing I tried was ammo straightened to a tolerance vs. ammo "naturally" within the same tolerance. I worked with .003" runout. What I found was if it took about .004" or more bending to get within tolerance, those cartridges didn't shoot groups as consistently small as naturally in tolerance ammo.

The difference occurred when there was significant straightening to be done. Small amounts of straightening didn't screw things up.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Mathman, so those problem rounds started with .007 or more run-out?

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by saddlesore
The larger the case capacity the smaller the affect of accuracy from the amount of powder variatio

I sure wouldn't worry about a few rounds coming out over .003. I would either buy or make a Tru Tool ( They ain't that hard to make). Fix the problem rounds and go shoot. A person can waste a lot of time and spend money tryingto figure out and fix a problem that doesn't matter.

I think along time ago,Mathman posted that those rounds that had run out and were fixed did not shoot quite as good as rounds that that had no appreciable run out to begin with.

I am not a bench rest shooter and he is by far probably a better shooter than I, but I have no seen any difference.

I usually load a 100 rounds at a time.I may get 8-10 that surpass .003 run out. I fix those with my home made tool, mark them and usually use them as fouling shots when I go check my scope zero before hunting season.Since I only use 3-4 rounds to check zero and 1-3 rounds hunting out of that 100 I loaded,I run out of those fouling rounds long before I run out of the others.

I believe you're referring to this:

One thing I tried was ammo straightened to a tolerance vs. ammo "naturally" within the same tolerance. I worked with .003" runout. What I found was if it took about .004" or more bending to get within tolerance, those cartridges didn't shoot groups as consistently small as naturally in tolerance ammo.

The difference occurred when there was significant straightening to be done. Small amounts of straightening didn't screw things up.

Thanks. At least my memory wasn't completely out to lunch which happens a lot now days. I doubt I have ever fixed any run out that required more than .002 adjustment.Maybe why I never saw a difference.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Mathman, so those problem rounds started with .007 or more run-out?

I had been testing a bunch of Lake City match in 7.62x51, M118 version IIRC. Given that it was 'match' ammo I was surprised at the number of bananas I found.

So yes, straightening cartridges from .007" or more down to .003" or less didn't produce as good a result on target as cartridges that were straight to .003" or less in the first place.

Two or three thousandths of straightening mostly did well.

Added: I should say I was making these comparisons using rifles like my Remington 40X or 5R Milspec. I may not have been able to clearly tell the difference with my LVSF that isn't as easy to shoot off the bags and whose barrel has seen a good number of rounds.

Last edited by mathman; 04/03/17.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
My experience with straightening rounds has been the same as mathman's, with a bunch of cartridges.

My other comment on this thread is related to saddlesore's posts: Bullet run-out makes more difference in some rifles, bullets and loads than others. If you're getting the accuracy you want, then why dink around with run-out?

I can't recall many factory big-game rifles that shot better with run-out less than .005". On the other hand, accurate varmint rifles often show improvement with .003 ammo--but not always.

Another example would be the Brno .22 K-Hornet I was playing with last week. Using the old C-H dies that came with the rifle, run-out varies from .002 to .005. Yet 10-shot groups at 100 yards (which I use to judge rifles used for abundant burrowing rodents) go around 3/4 inch, which in my experience is plenty good enough for shooting prairie dogs at 300 yards--and I probably won't use the K-Hornet to shoot them that far. So I'm not going to micro-manage my reloading to reduce the bullet run-out.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Where is the indicator when you check for run out?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Most directions for run-out gauges suggest around .1 inch in front of the case mouth, but that can vary some depending on the ogive.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Trystan
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
ctsmith, Lapua brass is some good stuff and I've had the same results as you.
I haven't had the best of luck with some of the other brands. From some of the OP comments I was thinking he wasn't interested in dropping whatever brass he was useing. My comment was geared toward the advantage of useing the lee die in this type of situation though I didn't convey the message very well. Over the years I have a pretty good stash of brass that isn't Lapua or Norma and its one reason I also went to useing the lee neck die.☺

Trystan
smirk

Originally Posted By Trystan

"Ive shot so many sub 2" 500 yd groups with a stock tikka I've lost count. Mount a scope and go hunt."

Trystan,

I (and I am sure many others) are still waiting for you to school us on how to consistently shoot sub 2" groups at 500 yards, with a fixed 6x scope.

I think you mentioned "Next week" a couple weeks ago?

I am ready to be schooled.

Mackay,

If you wish to be schooled pay attention. A picture on the internet is worth a thousand lies. If I was truly a dishonest liar I'd post up some 100 yd target pics and claim they were all shot at 500. Nobody would know the difference. Its called deductive reasoning. There's a reason why I offered a real life demonstration. I proposed to offer tangible evidence that can be believed without any doubt yet everyone declined that offer. Yet everyone begs for pictures on the internet worth a thousand lies. When a man ask for a picture worth a thousand lies it is clear that mans motive is not to seek truth, or that man is uneducated and gullible. Its not the course of wisdom.

I will still post pictures for you as soon as I get the chance. I did make it back to Montana however there was still several feet of snow on the range I want to use. We got over 5' on the level in town this year. Almost broke records but was just shy.

Some fellas from Best of the West are going to be coming up later this year to shoot with some of us. When I post pics maybe I'll post my picture with some of them fellas in it. Or maybe I won't either.

Trystan

smirk whistle

Last edited by ldholton; 04/05/17.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
I've gone to the Redding body die, lee collet die, & Forster seater too. I have Forster benchrest full length sizers too but they don't give the straightness of the body/collet die setup.

I'd say your problem is mostly in your sizing, necks running out at .002" will result in more runout at the ogive because it's further out on the lever arm. I'd go back to the regular full length die, I suspect you'll get better numbers than that.

Hard to beat the Lee Collet Neck sizer and a Body die. I didn't like the Lee FL die. I cut the neck out to clear the case neck, turned it into a body die. Works pretty well. Being I already had it, it was cheaper than buying a Redding body die, which is what I usually do.

DF

[Linked Image]

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Mackay,

If you wish to be schooled pay attention. A picture on the internet is worth a thousand lies. If I was truly a dishonest liar I'd post up some 100 yd target pics and claim they were all shot at 500. Nobody would know the difference. Its called deductive reasoning. There's a reason why I offered a real life demonstration. I proposed to offer tangible evidence that can be believed without any doubt yet everyone declined that offer. Yet everyone begs for pictures on the internet worth a thousand lies. When a man ask for a picture worth a thousand lies it is clear that mans motive is not to seek truth, or that man is uneducated and gullible. Its not the course of wisdom.

I will still post pictures for you as soon as I get the chance. I did make it back to Montana however there was still several feet of snow on the range I want to use. We got over 5' on the level in town this year. Almost broke records but was just shy.

Some fellas from Best of the West are going to be coming up later this year to shoot with some of us. When I post pics maybe I'll post my picture with some of them fellas in it. Or maybe I won't either.

Trystan

Trystan: You're right about still photos being worthless.

Isn't that why you said you'd do a youtube video?

A YouTube video it is then. I will post results in the near future. I will use 4 different rifles all in one session. I will conduct the test only once and if its a bad day so be it. I will simply title the thread "A day shooting at 500 yds" not intended as a pissing match or proving point. I will use a 223 tikka, a 270 tikka, a 6.5X55 tikka, and a Sako Finnbear. All 4 rifles completely factory with nothing more than trigger adjustment.

Popular request was for a YouTube video...I think I'd be a smuck if I didn't oblige.

Trystan

So, do you still think you'd be a schmuck if you don't oblige?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Most directions for run-out gauges suggest around .1 inch in front of the case mouth, but that can vary some depending on the ogive.

Thanks. I guess I've been doing it wrong since I measure about .1" from the tip. Yesterday I took someone's suggestion and turned the cartridge after seating the bullet and seated it again. I was pleasantly surprised to see some coming out at .001" runout. The worst was .003". It looks like I will be doing this always in the future.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by smokepole

Mackay,

Trystan

Trystan: You're right about still photos being worthless.

Isn't that why you said you'd do a youtube video?

A YouTube video it is then. I will post results in the near future. I will use 4 different rifles all in one session. I will conduct the test only once and if its a bad day so be it. I will simply title the thread "A day shooting at 500 yds" not intended as a pissing match or proving point. I will use a 223 tikka, a 270 tikka, a 6.5X55 tikka, and a Sako Finnbear. All 4 rifles completely factory with nothing more than trigger adjustment.

Popular request was for a YouTube video...I think I'd be a smuck if I didn't oblige.

Trystan

So, do you still think you'd be a schmuck if you don't oblige?

Smokepole,

I agree with you sir. The snow is finally about gone and I'll be in Montana again soon. I will get this project done.

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1234, 10gaugeman, 17Fan, 60 invisible), 2,386 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,323
Posts18,487,458
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.