Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by local_dirt
I never get tired of dumbasses badmouthing Harleys.

One of the purest forms of entertainment.

You sound like a good friend of mine who bought a Harley after we both retired. He spent a fortune on his new Harley, bought a whole new wardrobe at the local Harley shop, got some tattoos and headed to the big rally in Sturgess with some other Harley addicts. He made it from Austin to Denver where he broke down on the freeway on a Sunday. He finally made it to Sturgess and back after he got his Harley fixed. I told if he had planned on taking long motorcycle trips he should have bought a Honda. I never got tired of hearing stories about his Harley misadventures for the next 20 years.

Last edited by victoro; 04/15/17.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That second one looks like she might be 20.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I ride a RoadStar, but would love to find a Evo dresser.

No twin cam for me.

I am MAGA.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Are you doing a full restore or just pulling one out of hibernation?
I pulled my brother's ignored 1975 Sportster out and cranked it up after 25 years under a pile of junk in a garage. All I did was put in new points and plugs, replace the oil that was on the floor (for real, it had all drained out). Oh, a new Chinese "H-D" coil.

I wish people didn't make a contest out of it all the time.
I like them, had them, but forgive me; I don't want to sleep with your wife either. It ain't personal.
I was a Marine Sgt, don't need a brand of bike or fiberglass stock to prop my gonads up. Hey, you aint' special for buying one, my gay millenial neighbor has some Harley Touring thing. Wears a retro Bell helmet and dresses like Eric von Zipper.
Take my Harley hating posts tongue in cheek, like my posts about 260 Creedmoor and 280AI.
I don't hate sport bikes either, just the young guys who can still bend up like a pretzel without arthritis kicking their buttocks'.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Daverageguy
Too bad Harley ain't Usa made now.

How's that ?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by victoro
Originally Posted by local_dirt
I never get tired of dumbasses badmouthing Harleys.

One of the purest forms of entertainment.

You sound like a good friend of mine who bought a Harley after we both retired. He spent a fortune on his new Harley, bought a whole new wardrobe at the local Harley shop, got some tattoos and headed to the big rally in Sturgess with some other Harley addicts. He made it from Austin to Denver where he broke down on the freeway on a Sunday. He finally made it to Sturgess and back after he got his Harley fixed. I told if he had planned on taking long motorcycle trips he should have bought a Honda. I never got tired of hearing stories about his Harley misadventures for the next 20 years.

My experience has not been bad with H-D in regard to breakdowns considering the miles I've put on them. I live in Pa. For background, I've ridden them to 49 states. First longish trip was to Juarez in 85'. 2002 rode around the perimeter of the United States. 2006 made a solo run to Alaska. Rode them to all four points of the compass in the United States as far as you can go on paved road. All of the lower Canadian Provinces from British Columbia to Nova Scotia plus the Yukon. Death Valley to Denali.

Broke down in Delaware riding a 1983 XLX100 Sportster in 1983. Control module went out. Had been giving me issues for days before but thought it was a fuel problem. My bad.

Fried a battery in 1985 on a 1985 FXWG in Buena Vista Colorado. Bought a replacement at a gas station there (Sunday) same day. Not the bike's fault I reckon. This bike had wires to the ignition switch break their connectors and bike would not start after a gas fill-up in Kentucky 17 years later. Back on road rikki-tic. Same year the switch itself failed in my garage. Ignition pickup split open and bulged out whitish silicon material. Left me sit less than a quarter mile from my house. Sold bike for what I paid for it 17 years earlier.

2002 FatBoy traded at 75K. Made the perimeter and Alaska runs. No issues.

2008ish. Moncton, Canada. Heavy rains gave me sporadic operation on a 2007 FatBoy. Rode it to a dealership there and they traced it to wiring for my auxillary lights which were installed by my dealer in Pa. Back on the road in a short time with no charges.

I don't have any tattoos. grin

Last edited by Captain; 04/16/17.

NRA Benefactor Member

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizenry still gets to vote!"
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
284 just visit your local dealerships parts room and read the genuine HD parts made in China,India etc.Course they won't actually let you inside that parts room.For every HD that's ridden 50K,5500 metric bikes are ridden 100K just look at the market if HD was this superior brand why do metric brands have market share? Why does HD have a plant in India? Read the fine print "Assembled in Usa" don't mean "Made in Usa".

Bangflop! another skinning job due to .260 and proper shot placement.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are people that ride Harleys, and then there are people that wish they did, but make one excuse or another why they don't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Too bad Harley ain't Usa made now.

How's that ?

Probably loves his made in Mexico Ford.

IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by 700LH
There are people that ride Harleys, and then there are people that wish they did, but make one excuse or another why they don't.

Ya
It pisses me off every time I go get parts for mine at the dealer and they have to take the made in China tags off of everything.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by funshooter

Ya
It pisses me off every time I go get parts for mine at the dealer and they have to take the made in China tags off of everything.

I'd worry more about living in Caliotoe than Harley parts made in China

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
284 just visit your local dealerships parts room and read the genuine HD parts made in China,India etc.Course they won't actually let you inside that parts room.For every HD that's ridden 50K,5500 metric bikes are ridden 100K just look at the market if HD was this superior brand why do metric brands have market share? Why does HD have a plant in India? Read the fine print "Assembled in Usa" don't mean "Made in Usa".

Rather than start an argument may I suggest that you look into the number of vendor items used in the assembly of,say, a USA automobile.

You stated that the bikes aren't made in the USA which in fact they are.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F

Ya

I do not worry about the Parts being made in China.
As for Communist Mexifornia well that is where I am right now but not for ever.

Everyone wants American made not just by name only.

At one time (I do not know about the present time)
Toyota was the most made car in the USA but people would not buy them because they were Japanese owned.

We can all find faults with everything if we look far enough.

I am a Harley rider. What others want to ride is their business and I do not look down on them for choosing what they want. That is their choice.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Ya

Bull chit.
Other than the chrome bling name me one hard part that is made in China.
Japan yes,
The suspension and gauges are made in Japan.
Frames, powertrain and sheet metal are made in the US.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My old 1972 Harley TX-125 took three years to rebuild and most parts had to come from Italy.
I got no problem riding foreign bikes.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Many years ago when I started working for HD I stated that their plants in the future would no longer be manufacturing facilities but rather would be assembly plants. This was met with hostility and disbelief but it has come to be the norm for many of our industries.

There are many, many components that go into the making of Harleys from Australia,Great Britain, Japan, Germany, Canada and even Switzerland but China made parts are in there as well.

Welcome to the new USA manufacturing base. I believe it's here to stay.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem

Frames, powertrain and sheet metal are made in the US.

Perzactly !!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

You do not have a clue what you are talking about.
I have been in the motorcycle business for 45 years. I own a shop.
How many photos do you want me to upload of Harley parts boxes? I see them every day.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
...my "semi-bagger" also...2002 T-Sport....

Should be on the road next week....

[Linked Image]

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 64 invisible), 2,285 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,284
Posts18,486,844
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.