Print Thread
Hop To
Page 54 of 63 1 2 52 53 54 55 56 62 63
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by slumlord
Between this site, photoobucket and trying to post it all with a phone..the wonkiness is beyond frustrating. Especially with all the viruses and garbage popups on this forum.

This site is beyond phugged up imo. I just bought a new computer and I still loss the connection 7 out of 10 time I hit the damn key pad. I'm about over it... The only site that has ever given me issues.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
What would be cool is if some of the guys would snap a wide pic of the area they are finding them. It would be really interesting for the novice such as I to maybe pick up a tip or two about the areas to look.

One would think that, but out here in the west, it's certainly not the case. Two instances: 1. A couple years back a friend and I were traversing an essentially featureless sagebrush plain to approach some pronghorn. Midway, we passed through about a 3 acre spot, with absolutely no distinguishing features, that was littered with points, drills, scrapers, and what I call expediency knives (simply sharp edged flakes knapped off for short term work like skinning a bunny). No signs of water, windbreaks, or vegetation that would draw me there today as a suitable camping spot.

2: An ongoing nearby dig in a depression that would provide some shelter. It's dating to around 14,000 yrs before present. Excavated plant materials and bones suggests the area supported a wealth of willows and pine, waterfowl, and wetland mammals. Today, it too is a featureless plain of sagebrush with the nearest water about 10 miles distant. Structural disparities in the artifacts also, suggest the area was occupied and then abandoned over several intervals.

Here in the west, perennial water sources are a pretty good bet as are some of the shallow but seasonal lake basins. Fourteen thousand year back, however, some of those basins were under 300+ ft of water.

Interesting stuff for those that study such.

Last edited by 1minute; 04/20/17.

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Our area is karst, so it's littered with basins, sinkholes and such. It is my hypothesis that some of these areas were water holes for eastern buffalo and thusly places of ambush opportunity.
We have one such geographical 'bowl' which could have been a 10 acre pond a few thousand years ago. We find early archaic blades around it, strictly just around it. The river is about a mile away and we find no debitage between it and this basin. And it's plowed all they way to the river.

So yes, landscapes and climate were possibly entirely different 8,000 years ago.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555
What would be cool is if some of the guys would snap a wide pic of the area they are finding them. It would be really interesting for the novice such as I to maybe pick up a tip or two about the areas to look.
ok

Well this is what it looks like.

Just have to find the hot spots. Like a giant body of water, just have to scout it an find out where the fish are.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by slumlord
Our area is karst, so it's littered with basins, sinkholes and such. It is my hypothesis that some of these areas were water holes for eastern buffalo and thusly places of ambush opportunity.
We have one such geographical 'bowl' which could have been a 10 acre pond a few thousand years ago. We find early archaic blades around it, strictly just around it. The river is about a mile away and we find no debitage between it and this basin. And it's plowed all they way to the river.

So yes, landscapes and climate were possibly entirely different 8,000 years ago.

Buffalo wallows in the western US have indeed proven to be a good spot for artifacts. Time and again as erosion and winds sweep the plains.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yesterday's finds all cleaned up:

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Very nice...

Public landowner...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Supposed to rain again tomorrow.

Only gets better.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I gotta figure out this smart phone photobucket chit......

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Can you get Photobucket on a Tracfone?

"I'll beg to differ, sir. We started a game we never got to finish. Play for blood, remember?" Doc Holliday
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Good stuff Slummy...

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Man those are tiny...

Sure wish I knew more about the way they lived.

We have Plumbers, Electricians, Welders today, I wonder if there was 1 guy in the group that excelled in arrowhead making and everybody else came to him for their points?

I don't see how they ever got in enough practice to be good. 1 practice shot and you could be back to whittlin and knappin.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Ole one eye from the saber tooth attack and all da camp ho,s made points..
Pretty reasonable to imagine everyone had a basic skill level at stuff and some had higher levels of skill. Fug up a point give it
To the old lady or oneeye and have em retool into something else and give ya a new point or do it yourself . I know if i was in hunting parties putting food on the plate I would make sure my family had skills to make me points. Common sense....
Called division of labor...... no welfare as a way of life back then.... makes me wonder how negros made it as far as they did......

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by renegade50
Ole one eye from the saber tooth attack and all da camp ho,s made points..
Pretty reasonable to imagine everyone had a basic skill level at stuff and some had higher levels of skill. Fug up a point give it
To the old lady or oneeye and have em retool into something else and give ya a new point or do it yourself . I know if i was in hunting parties putting food on the plate I would make sure my family had skills to make me points. Common sense....
Called division of labor...... no welfare as a way of life back then.... makes me wonder how negros made it as far as they did......

I believe that the old folks and women made most of the points.

Indians also had strong beliefs about blood. That's why you find so many "perfect" points in Indian camps... Certainly within a certain direction and proximity of a campfire in the Indian camp.

Once the point had drawn blood, it was removed, and another point attached to the shaft of the dart, spear, or arrow. They usually did that while sitting around a campfire, and would toss the bloodied point on the ground.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
the guys in my camp musta been chitty hunters that didn't draw much blood. very few perfect ones found....

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Read the account of Cabeza de Vaca concerning the Coalhuatecans in south Texas. Them po bastids was pickin' thru their own caca for stuff to eat. They ate lots of other stuff too. When they could find it. Mainstay of their diets were prickly pear tunas and pecans! mesquite beans and female babies were popular dietary items too!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One of the coolest things I have ever seen was related to the Sewee tribe in our region. It was a Megaladon tooth that had been knapped into a point and was legit.

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
My dad pulled this out just a few plowed rows over from me. Happy for the old man, but sure wish I'd been walking that row! Have a fair number of ax heads to my own name but none with the wow factor of this one...It's like the maker chose his stone canvas, not just for the sake of the tool alone.

[Linked Image]

Liberalism; The impossible yet accepted notion that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Page 54 of 63 1 2 52 53 54 55 56 62 63

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

517 members (270cowboy, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 264magnum, 51 invisible), 1,711 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,066
Posts18,521,520
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.