Print Thread
Hop To
Page 26 of 37 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 36 37
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Agnostic is one who believes the question of a god's existence is unsettled.

Maybe, maybe not.

Atheist position is that there is no God and is an advocate for that position....... which makes him a member of a religious sect.

Again,

You are just wrong.

As I outlines above, the first question goes to belief, the second to knowledge.

In addition, the person who coined the term, Thomas Huxley used it to describe someone who believed THE ANSWER TO THE QUESTION COULD NEVER BE KNOWN. Of course that was probably long after you where out of school, so you probably never studies him.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
GB1

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
gosh guys. we can have two conditions with our binary wired brain can't we?

knowing and not knowing.

and if not knowing, we can work to fill the gap w/faith can't we. that'd be helpful in and of itself, but not exacting at all.

once someone makes the leap to equate faith & knowing as one, then that's a risky undertaking under current conditions.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
You claim there is a difference between " can never be known" and "unsettled"? If so, then use Huxley's words and it doesn't change the definitions I gave.

And my definitions have the advantage of being in common usage.

But......you proved my point. Science didn't drive you to Atheism, you chose it.

Makes you feel "Special", doesn't it.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
AS made a post wherein he states:

“…………a gnostic atheist is someone who knows there is no god………..so you could classify me as a gnostic atheist……….”
So, he describes himself as one “who knows there is no god.” (Wow, think about that statement for a moment.)

He then states:

“Since it is the Theist making the positive claims, it is they who have the burden of proof, and and this point, to me, all theist claims….”

So, AS says it is the “Theist” who has the burden to “prove” God to AS. This is certainly untrue. As we have seen, this is simply a waste of time. He chooses to believe not. His understanding is quite flawed. I have explained this to him in previous posts but he either forgets or want to forget.

Yes, Christians have the privilege and duty to provide witness, but there is no way we can “argue” or “prove” God to someone. One can choose NOT to believe. (Think about Jesus there with the Pharisees who chose not to believe his messianic claims.)

It is GOD who provides the evidence for all to see. He provided evidence to me and He has provided it to AS. I believe and now I have definite proof of God’s existence. HE has proven Himself to me.

Some see and believe and some reject. Now, those, like AS who reject what God has done in supplying evidence of His existence, can hide themselves and reject God. They can do that. They can do that or they can act on the evidence and the enlightenment they have seen. AS chooses to reject. There is no moral or intellectual superiority in his claims. None. He simply chooses the dark.

He goes on to state:

“For me, the question is all about reason and evidence, an to date, you have presented no independently verifiable evidence to support your theistic claims, let alone any extraordinary evidence to match your extraordinary claims.”

He seems to be trying to justify his lack of belief. Good luck with that.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by TF49

He seems to be trying to justify his lack of belief. Good luck with that.

TF,

Curious. Why do you care so much as to what AS does not believe?

Why were you so eager to engage with AS the other day with three consecutive posts taunting AS to respond?

Could it have something to do with you needing to justify your belief? Perhaps you should be wishing yourself some luck with that.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
You missed the point. Could it be that AS posts on Christian threads for a reason? Did he ever say why?

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Could it be that AS posts on Christian threads for a reason? Did he ever say why?

I seem to recall something to the effect: 'fellowship with people with interest in common.'

I also think you are avoiding the obvious.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by carbon12
Could it be that AS posts on Christian threads for a reason? Did he ever say why?

I seem to recall something like 'for fellowship with people with a common interest.'

So, you think he posts for the benefit of those with a common interest?

Really?

Do you actually believe that is why he shows up on threads with Christian topics?

Anyway, got things to do... g'night.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

I seem to recall something like 'for fellowship with people with a common interest.'

Really?

Do you actually believe that is why he shows up on threads with Christian topics?

I did not say anything about 'benefit'. I said 'fellowship'.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Really?

I did not say anything about 'benefit'. I said 'fellowship'.

You're right. My mistake.

IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
You are still avoiding the question of why you chose to be an Atheist.

Your claim of "no evidence to support it" is B.S.

The default position regarding God is Agnosticism, not Atheism.

Why did you choose Atheism, not Agnosticism?

Gene,

The modern use of Agnostic and Atheist have evolve since the term agnostic was coined by Thomas Huxley in 1869.

Today it's common to separate the two categories to belief and knowledge to better explain a persons position.

When doing so,

atheist/theist deals with believe,
agnostic/ gnostic deals with knowledge.

So as an example, a gnostic atheist is someone who knows there is no god, where an agnostic theist is someone who has a belief in theistic claims, but does not claim knowledge. In other words, this is the state of a good many Christians in this country who believe in God, but cannot tell you why, and probably haven't even read their Bible. This is probably the actual default position for most Americans. We live in a Christian dominated society where "everyone knows there is a God", so most grow up believing before they've every really studied or examined the issue. Some begin as an agnostic who does not automatically accept the theistic influences around them. Since they have not accepted the theistic claims, they begin as agnostic atheist. In other words, the true default position is one of atheism, not theism.

So when I say I'm an atheist, all that means is I reject theist claims. Since it is the Theist making the positive claims, it is they who have the burden of proof, and and this point, to me, all theist claims, Christian or other wise have failed to meet this burden of proof.

I can't say I'm Agnostic, because I'm very knowledgeable on the subject, so you could classify me as a gnostic atheist. One with knowledge who does not accept any theistic claims.

For me, the question is all about reason and evidence, an to date, you have presented no independently verifiable evidence to support your theistic claims, let alone any extraordinary evidence to match your extraordinary claims.
Thinking themselves wise, they became as fools.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V

Maybe, maybe not.

Atheist position is that there is no God and is an advocate for that position....... which makes him a member of a religious sect.

So in your mind you "believe" that if someone doesn't believe in your religion or any other religion that makes them religious. I don't see any logic in that thinking.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by victoro

Maybe, maybe not.

So in your mind you "believe" that if someone doesn't believe in your religion or any other religion that makes them religious. I don't see any logic in that thinking.
That's not surprising. It seems your post also lacks the words in arrangement that might make it make sense. Then again, maybe making sense is not your intent.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So, according to you, "why not" is superior to "why".

Christians often take the stance that their mythological beliefs are superior to other peoples beliefs.
but then quiz others why they have the same attitude....lol.

But.....your post winds up in a good place and does not contradict anything our Canadian friend said,
even though you were attempting to be argumentative.

Presenting more than one hypothetical perspective of the world and universe is not being argumentative.
and anyones view is open to scrutiny. yet there are christians who think their view is the only valid one.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You missed the point. Could it be that AS posts on Christian threads for a reason? Did he ever say why?

All so typical of pompous attitide christians who carry the delusion that others are somehow required to justify their actions to them.

Opening post of this thread:

But.......if Miles is settin' in a chair next to me, I can guarantee you he is alive today, and that's what's important to me.

You can actually see Jesus next to you?..can you describe him?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Among the many Christians I know, never have I seen one profess that his/her belief is superior to that of another person. The declaration of "myth" can be a tool for use in pointless argument. The experience of a conviction is something entirely different, and profound.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CCCC
Among the many Christians I know, never have I seen one profess that his/her belief is superior to that of another person. .

Over the yrs there has been a fair share on various gun forums telling how non-believers will burn in hell for eternity.
and that to avoid such you must believe what they believe.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Starman
Originally Posted by CCCC
Among the many Christians I know, never have I seen one profess that his/her belief is superior to that of another person. .
Over the yrs there has been a fair share on various gun forums telling how non-believers will burn in hell for eternity. and that to avoid such you must believe what they believe

If one were to assume that you are correct in making that statement, it would be correct to note that you are not there citing any statement of "superiority" - none at all. If a person explains a belief and advises you regarding consequences based on that belief, you are being informed.

Such consequence need be of no importance to you if your beliefs differ, and no superiority is involved. If the noted consequence is a bother to you, you may be tempted to accept the expressed belief or, at least, look into its credence.

With regard to spirituality, no human Christian has any authority over you or your consequences, and no person is superior by virtue of a belief.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
They think you show superiority just because you post or quotd scripture. It makes them feel inferior and they perceive truth as being superior to lies. I wonder why. Maybe its because

For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.

The babble of Babylon is driven to try and besmirch the truth no less than the progressive left must attempt to destroy civilization and the order (laws) of the constitution.

New International Version
Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.

This refers to those who strive to silence the word of the Lord.

Strange to see those who profess to be unbelievers become active characters in the prophecy of the Bible by taking up the cross of Satan by becoming active participants as his henchmen, trying to tempt us believers from the Truth just as Satan tempted Jesus.

Last edited by jaguartx; 04/25/17.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Starman

All so typical of pompous attitide christians who carry the delusion that others are somehow required to justify their actions to them.

Opening post of this thread:

But.......if Miles is settin' in a chair next to me, I can guarantee you he is alive today, and that's what's important to me.

You can actually see Jesus next to you?..can you describe him?

There exists a form of Spiritual Contact which is more certain ,and thus superior to, any contact made thru our five senses.

God becomes The Great Reality and The Great Fact in our lives. All else pales in comparison.

But.....it must be experienced, not explained.

St. Peter claimed it is more certain than "the word of the prophets" or even eyewitnessing Christ's Transfiguration.He likened it to a light shining in a dark place.

It is an experience available to all.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Page 26 of 37 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 36 37

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (007FJ, 1minute, 06hunter59, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 1Longbow, 55 invisible), 2,446 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,546
Posts18,472,944
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.